Hindlays Curry House

Gladiator

Went there Yesterday

A Little bit disappointed really, had 2 Samosas, Chicken Tikka Masala , and Yellow rice.

Filling in the Samosas was good but didn't enjoy the Spring roll pastry, I suppose it is a personal thing but I prefer Samosas in a traditional dough type of pastry.

The Chicken Tikka Masala was very poor in my opinion, the thing that stood out straight away after the first spoonful was a taste of sugar, just to much, and it kept coming back after every other spoon full.

I thought the chicken (Tikka) should be marinated over night then put on skewers and put under a grill or on a barbecue, before being added to the Masala sauce, clearly in this dish it had not happened, clearly there was no visible grill or charcoal/barbecue marks on the chicken,

The yellow rice although it was not a pilau rice (just some good quality rice colored with Turmeric) was excellent had not been over cooked or sticky and left me with the thought of just how much I need to improve the quality of the rice I make when making Pilau rice.

Good value for money well I would have to say value for money.

Couldnt fault the service , or the relaxing location

Should I go back and try some thing else or move on. I have Le Spice, Bombay Resturant and New Delhi on the list of places to try...what do you think ?

TB

Is it the Bombay restaurant that Lek and his wife own near the moat. If it is Lek's wife does the best home made curry and nan bread l have had in CNX Its a small shop with only about 4 tables but its great and used by a lot of tourists and local ex-pats. Parking is a bit of a problem but the food is worth it

Went there Yesterday

A Little bit disappointed really, had 2 Samosas, Chicken Tikka Masala , and Yellow rice.

Filling in the Samosas was good but didn't enjoy the Spring roll pastry, I suppose it is a personal thing but I prefer Samosas in a traditional dough type of pastry.

The Chicken Tikka Masala was very poor in my opinion, the thing that stood out straight away after the first spoonful was a taste of sugar, just to much, and it kept coming back after every other spoon full.

I thought the chicken (Tikka) should be marinated over night then put on skewers and put under a grill or on a barbecue, before being added to the Masala sauce, clearly in this dish it had not happened, clearly there was no visible grill or charcoal/barbecue marks on the chicken,

The yellow rice although it was not a pilau rice (just some good quality rice colored with Turmeric) was excellent had not been over cooked or sticky and left me with the thought of just how much I need to improve the quality of the rice I make when making Pilau rice.

Good value for money well I would have to say value for money.

Couldnt fault the service , or the relaxing location

Should I go back and try some thing else or move on. I have Le Spice, Bombay Resturant and New Delhi on the list of places to try...what do you think ?

TB

Is it the Bombay restaurant that Lek and his wife own near the moat. If it is Lek's wife does the best home made curry and nan bread l have had in CNX Its a small shop with only about 4 tables but its great and used by a lot of tourists and local ex-pats. Parking is a bit of a problem but the food is worth it

Sorry i have not been there yet but i have found a link from a member named wjmark who has it located on his map of various restaurants around CM Here is HIS link. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106009239432235450169.00047cf5f6b4ae9cca40b&mid=1288184826

Click on it , scroll down the list of restaurants on the left hand side until you see Bombay restaurant, click on it and zoom in on the map to see it's location.

TB

After reading all the reviews on Hindlay I thought I would give it a try (first time).

Ordered:

Samosas

Malay Chicken

Beef Randang

Aloo Gobi

Roti

Firstly, I read in an earlier post that someone said the Roti tasted exactly like the Roti you can buy from Rimping. I would completely agree. That being said, I actually like the Roti from Rimping, and as such I enjoyed it.

The Aloo Gobi was very poor, and not a match on Spicy Bollywood's. The potatoes were undercooked and tasted liked they were thrown in at the last minute. Very disappointing.

The Beef Randang was nice (not great) but I enjoyed it.

The Samosas were as someone else has said done in a spring roll pastry, but I thoroughly enjoyed them nonetheless.

As for the Malay Chicken, that was FANTASTIC and I would go back just for that.

Overall I had a nice meal, great value and I would certainly give it another try. The fact that the Aloo Gobi was not up to scratch is probably not reflective of this restaurant.

8/10.

I recently tried Hindlay based on this thread and have to say, it was mediocre at best. The setting is excellent and there is off street parking which is nice but the service, while friendly, wasn't particularly good and the food was only OK (OK as in I ate it without complaint but will not be going back). Everything seemed under spiced and overly sweet. I should add that this is the only Indian restaurant I have tried in Chiang Mai so it may very well be the best available, it just didn't suit my tastes.

Is this, perhaps, an example of Anglo-Indian food? It was certainly different than any "Indian" food I have eaten before but I know it is a diverse cuisine...

Edited by CPT

It's absolutely not the best in town. I'm not too keen on Le Spice eigher.

Try Royal India and New Delhi for real Indian

Royal India the guy come from Mumbai and he is passionate about food and they supply good hotels.

Try Chedi for a meal suit for a Mughal emperor (if I may say so)

Hinlay now has Beef Rendang???? I never noticed that before. It's certainly not an Indian dish, but that doesn't mean it's not good. In fact, I'd settle for a mediocre version of an authentic Indonesian preparation.

I've had beef rendang in many Indonesian and Malaysian restaurants but I've never seen it in an Indian restaurant. Not here, not in the US, not in India. Beef Rendang is one of my favorite dishes when prepared properly. I much prefer the Indonesian version to the Malay style. Can you compare Hinlay's version to a Malay or Indonesian version. Thanks.

I popped in to Hinlay last night for a bit of food. It was ok but nothing to shout about in any way. I do like the setting and the service was very good. As for the food, well it's far from the best I've had. Nothing wrong with it but nothing memorable either.

Hinlay now has Beef Rendang???? I never noticed that before. It's certainly not an Indian dish, but that doesn't mean it's not good. In fact, I'd settle for a mediocre version of an authentic Indonesian preparation.

I've had beef rendang in many Indonesian and Malaysian restaurants but I've never seen it in an Indian restaurant. Not here, not in the US, not in India. Beef Rendang is one of my favorite dishes when prepared properly. I much prefer the Indonesian version to the Malay style. Can you compare Hinlay's version to a Malay or Indonesian version. Thanks.

It certainly does: post-64713-0-46226000-1308811840_thumb.j

ps. Snippet is from Mike's Meals on Wheels 4U website of which they deliver from.