Management Co. Switched Gym Ac Off.

Hi all,

As the thread suggests, the management have recently (past month) decided they will save money by switching off one (of two) of the AC units in the gym. This is not so bad till you want to run, with temps around 30C.

My partner raised this with the condo office only to be told things would stay as they are unless they received more complaints. She was not happy with this response so emailed their main office asking if this has been agreed by committee, and why they haven't informed people etc. (we are new to the building (renting) so not savvy with laws/rights etc.). They have yet to reply but she was met with a sign in the gym today stating the same - obviously there idea of a response! She now feels doubly irritated and feels they are being disrepectful, by not replying to her complaint. I'm not too happy also but know how Thais can be when a stand-off is created, so if possible would like to avoid this as i doubt we will come out on top if we try and take them on.

I have no idea if this has gone through any formal channels, but i doubt it and wondered what peoples' thoughts are regarding the best next move. I know it's not the end of the world but as my partner correctly stated, we would like the same facilities and conditions that we initially signed up for!

Maybe petition the gym members? This is bound to antagonise them though. Any thoughts/opinions apprecciated.

Luang

My personal opinion is that anyone who wants extra facilities (apart from security and common lighting etc) should pay for them. I dont really see why everyone should have to pay for gym or jacuzzi facilities for the few who use them, especially as there are commercial gyms on every street corner. As such I prefer buldings that dont offer these extra facilities at all, and have a correspondingly lower maintenance fee.

Even the swimming pool is an arguable point, though I suspect that a pool is used by a much higher proportion of residents than any other facility is and is, of course, a much larger capital cost than a gym.

Luang, if as it appears you are merely renting your 'complaint' such as it is should be directed toward your landlord

- is that actually the condo juristic person or a third party owner of your unit?

This may (or may not) explain the lack of a direct response.

In any event I doubt very much that what you signed up for (with whoever) was so specific as to state 2 ACs rather than 1.

Its personal preference (i say AC in a gym at all is pathetic) and you could petition members for their views but might well antagonise them over something so petty (and which will actually be benefitting your workouts).

• 3 weeks later...

I think some are being a little ungracious. The fact is that you should be given the facilities you pay for, simple as that. I am sure Darrel would complain bitterly if the extra facility of aircon in his own condo were turned off. You all pay a going rate and that is for the complete facility,. End of story. Go door to door and get the complaints you need. If you paid for a condo in a block with a Gym with aircon, then why the hell should you not have that, just because the management company want to make an extra 5000 baht a month by turning the aircon off.

I think some are being a little ungracious. The fact is that you should be given the facilities you pay for, simple as that. I am sure Darrel would complain bitterly if the extra facility of aircon in his own condo were turned off. You all pay a going rate and that is for the complete facility,. End of story. Go door to door and get the complaints you need. If you paid for a condo in a block with a Gym with aircon, then why the hell should you not have that, just because the management company want to make an extra 5000 baht a month by turning the aircon off.

Keep in mind that service fees are not adjusted for inflation. So while the cost of electricity/aircon continues to rise each year the fees to cover this cost will not increase. In my experience it's dam_n near impossible to get the service rate increased, as you need over 50% ownership vote on this (only about 20% of owners in our building even show up at the annual meetings to vote on stuff), to get at least 50% owners to a meet, and then get them all to agree to start paying more...forget about it.

At the end of the day if there is not enough money coming in each month to cover the cost of 2 aircons in the gym, then there's no use getting mad at the management; would you suggest they run the bank account dry paying for 2 aircons?

Edited by dave111223

Keep in mind that service fees are not adjusted for inflation. So while the cost of electricity/aircon continues to rise each year the fees to cover this cost will not increase. In my experience it's dam_n near impossible to get the service rate increased, as you need over 50% ownership vote on this (only about 20% of owners in our building even show up at the annual meetings to vote on stuff), to get at least 50% owners to a meet, and then get them all to agree to start paying more...forget about it.

At the end of the day if there is not enough money coming in each month to cover the cost of 2 aircons in the gym, then there's no use getting mad at the management; would you suggest they run the bank account dry paying for 2 aircons?

One of the project where I bought a unit solved this problem by having both fans and air-con installed. The air-con unit is tied into a coin machine. People who wants air-con pay for the usage.

Edited by trogers

I think some are being a little ungracious. The fact is that you should be given the facilities you pay for, simple as that. I am sure Darrel would complain bitterly if the extra facility of aircon in his own condo were turned off.

I pay for my own usage of aircon where I live. As I pay my bills on time no one will be turning it off.

It seems obvious to me that the same should apply to common facilities like aircon in building gyms (or indeed the gym itself) which I suspect only a very small proportion of building residents actually use. Those that want it can pay for it, and those that dont want it can spend the money on something else.

As far as the OP is concerned: as a tenant he doesnt pay the maintenance fee and so has no right to ask the management company anything. He needs to consult with his owner about a possible complaint to the management, or some sort of refund on his rent. A couple of hundred Baht per year sounds about right.