Honda Hornets In Thailand? Any Info...

Kwarium

Hello,

I'm especially curious why the Cbf600 Hornet never caught on in Thailand. Extremely popular in Europe, Nearly 100 HP stock and only 20 kilos heavier than a (53 HP) CB400 Super Four which are so popular here. They seem very rare even on www.mocy.com. I have only seen two for sale this year, but maybe someone knows of one for sale or sitting unused? I would love to find a 2003-2006 model since they have the classic round headlight. (I'm partial to 4 cylinder bikes.)

The 919 model sold less worldwide but are supposedly also good UJM bikes.

Does anyone know who used to own this silver 2000 model, maybe in Chiang Mai? Any Hornet comments or info appreciated.

(picture at http://image.ohozaa.com/i/1af/hornetsilver.jpg incase it doesn't embed ;) )

Thanks,

K

hornetsilver.jpg

Edited by Kwarium

Honda Hornets are pretty rare in Thailand as they are grey imports but you do see them around. Finding one with registration and plate is quite difficult. My friend West recently sold his registered and plated Hornet 600 so they do exist. Good luck in your search!

Honda Hornets are pretty rare in Thailand as they are grey imports but you do see them around. Finding one with registration and plate is quite difficult. My friend West recently sold his registered and plated Hornet 600 so they do exist. Good luck in your search!

Thanks! :D I don't suppose West's bike was the one pictured... I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me something about this bike, it's got to be the only one with old Suzuki rear turn signals!

Red21, is that Chiang Mai airport plaza?

Thanks,

K

Thanks! :D I don't suppose West's bike was the one pictured... I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me something about this bike, it's got to be the only one with old Suzuki rear turn signals!

Red21, is that Chiang Mai airport plaza?

Thanks,

K

Yes. Robinson's Airport Plaza. Not sure if they still have it but it doesn't hurt to inquire. I remember I just came back from Dubai that time and saw a yellow one (probabably circa 2000 -2002) on my way home.

Edited by RED21

post-105817-0-94364200-1309262811_thumb.

how about this 1 number 17 of only 50 made its stuckn in uk cannot bring over boo hoo

Nice and clean! 2001 or 2002? Was there a special edition run of Hornets with Hornets on the tank? Any engine mods done?

K

1999 50 made had the option to buy 1 if you bought the matching Honda civic done inthe f1 jordan colours believe there was 500 cars done and 50 bikes my mate has the matching Honda civic also number 17 no engine mods just cosmetic as I am only 60 kg it flies along my baby

1999 50 made had the option to buy 1 if you bought the matching Honda civic done inthe f1 jordan colours believe there was 500 cars done and 50 bikes my mate has the matching Honda civic also number 17 no engine mods just cosmetic as I am only 60 kg it flies along my baby

Interesting. That historical info should be added to the UK Hornet site! I've ridden two, and yes they get up and go with that high power to weight ratio. I hear a alot of people drop the gearing a bit (3 to 5 teeth) to move the power down in the band for city use. I hope more Hornet owners, past or present will chime in here with their experiences. I bet someone here knows the past owner of that silver one in post 1!

Cheers,

K

Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows a Mister Williams in Chiang Mai that may have owned the Hornet pictured in post 1? It would be nice to know some history on this bike since I bought it today! Woot!

As far as parts go, so far I've heard of a shop called Stadium in Bangkok that carries new parts, but it's not on the Bike Directory Project sticky, yet. Anyone here know of a shop somewhere on Rama II (Bang Bon) that services big bikes and has many parts? The guy telling me about it was a bit vague, or maybe my comprehension is what was vague.

Before I wear out my welcome with too many questions, where is a chrome plating shop in Bangkok that could do the 4 into 1 headers?

Thanks for helping me out,

Cheers,

K

Honda Hornet is indeed a very good bike, so addictive. I still have mine in France, did not have the guts to sell it before I left 4 years ago.. And God I have no regret not selling it even if I can't ride it.

One thing about Hornet is that they were produced in Italy since 2001 for European Market, which made them very affordable in Europe. Since this was the biggest market for this bike, quantities for US and Asia were way under estimation. Starting in 1998, it was based on the 250cc HOrnet (which was never imported in Europe). Lot of people think the 600cc was made first then the 250cc, in order to attract south asian market. But that's a mistake, the 600cc was made after the 250cc. You however should get one starting the year 2000. Severals modifications has been made especially front 16" front wheel that has been replaced by a much more standard 17". The 16" was very good for mid speed handling you had on the 900CBR at that time, unfortunately on a naked bike, the balance is way less sharp than the CBR and the Hornet was not stable in high speed corner. Also, tires manufacturers do not produce much 16" tires, so much sport range tires were not available.

Anyhow from 2000 to 2003 you don't have much difference, nothing noticeable unless you really into the Hornet. Starting 2003 the design is changed (by the way your picture is very probably a 2002 model, not a 2000). 2003-2004 model are EXACTLY the same. Only thing is the paint which was mat for 2004 model.

2005 is a big change with inverted fork (from the CBR600 but pre-set only), reinforced frame, electronic speedo and still no injection (God bless Honda for that). No change in 2006.

And it is in 2007 that the biggest change appear and Honda Hornet took back was she deserve, the award of best midsize naked bike. This model is completely different, more power (100hp) to adjust competition. The most powerfull one was the 2000 model with 98hp, then 1998 model, than 2004 (due to pollution restrictions).

If you need other info please don't hesitate.

It is a great bike, awesome to ride. It is a man toy, simple as that !! But very very hard to find in thailand. The 900 Hornet is very hard to find as well but easier than the 600. I saw severals ones though it will cost you minimum 250,000thb to get one with book. Great bike as well, but did not have the same success as the little 600cc.

Tibo

:-) Great to hear from another Hornet owner, especially one who knows the bikes! So far I've spent more time cleaning and checking it over than riding thanks to daily rain and storms rolling through BKK. It seems to run good, but I'm wondering if I should have my mechanic do a valve and cam chain tensioner check? The bike is completely stock aside from a (clean) K&N air filter. I'm pretty sure it's a 2000 model pc34 based on the 'Y' in the VIN. I googled it... ;-)

I bet you really miss yours after 4 years! Hope someone starts it for you once in awhile.

K

:-) Great to hear from another Hornet owner, especially one who knows the bikes! So far I've spent more time cleaning and checking it over than riding thanks to daily rain and storms rolling through BKK. It seems to run good, but I'm wondering if I should have my mechanic do a valve and cam chain tensioner check? The bike is completely stock aside from a (clean) K&N air filter. I'm pretty sure it's a 2000 model pc34 based on the 'Y' in the VIN. I googled it... ;-)

I bet you really miss yours after 4 years! Hope someone starts it for you once in awhile.

K

You should come ride with us ! I did not understand you already had it !

Surprisingly your picture does not match the 2000 model. Where does it come from ? 2000 models have red foot rest plate, Hornet logo on the tank and few others details. Make sure your front wheel is a 17" ! ;)

Yes I miss mine, a lot, it is an addictive bike. Few bike give that addiction, really. Take good care of it and hopefully see you soon for a ride ;)

Tibo27,

I was just looking for info at first, but ended up buying the one pictured :-) a day later.

It does have the red rear set insert, but it is covered with textured black sticker, which I think I'll keep on. The original color was NH-1, was that blue or black? The seller told me the previous owner (still hoping someone knows Mr. Williams in Chiangmai Mai) had changed the color and logos. The rear 'Hornet' is a custom made sticker. Yes, it definitely has a 17" front wheel.

I'm on my second big bike in Thailand and still don't know where in BKK to find supplies. I find Motul oil here and there, and my local mechanic gets fork seals etc. easily enough, but isn't there a shop where a guy could actually go shopping for big bike bits? I use the Directory Project above quite a bit and add to it when a find something new. I picked up a K&N cleaning kit from Red Ba... and saw they have various weights of fork oil by Motul also. The scooter guys have more and more bike supermarket type shops opening all the time. Is there one for Big Bikes? I need some iridium spark plugs. Should I use DOT 3 or4 brake fluid?

I'm about to park the bikes for a month but it would be fun to hook up for a group ride sometime after I get back.

Here's to Honda Hornets!

K

BTW this bike is too quick for the stock exhaust, I need some noise to let people, dogs etc. know I'm coming! <grin>

I can introduce you to a great mechanic, though really busy these days. He can get all the parts you need easily. He has irridium sparkplugs too. Only thing, he does not speak english much but there's always someone there who does. His shop is small, he mainly fix big bikes. And it is cheap, but great. I used to service my SP1 there.

To Hornet !

Ride safe

• 1 year later...

Hi, There

I am Neng( My English name is Pich) a Hornet rider here in Bangkok.

I am a big fan of Hornet so I would like to know some other bikers who know the bike here.

I have made up a group called " Hornet's nest Thailand " in Face book -----> http://www.facebook.com/groups/252389178193170/

We only have 2 of 2007 model NON ABS and only one 2008 ABS in our group and other were Hornet 900 and 600 previous model like in this topic but still not many people.

And Rick is the owner of 2008 ABS model wanna sell his bike in HauHin , If you interested here is the link I've been putting on -------> http://mocycle.net/ads/%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9A-hornet-cb600-f-%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B5-08-abs-%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81-hor-2/

Just tell Rick , Neng The Red Hornet giving you this news.

Unfortunately the bike has only invoice paper but in "Thai way" They can make it legal on road.

Anyway , Hopefully we can meet in the hornet group and help each other with equipment. parts and maintenance shop. I am Thai but I'm ok to speak English.

For the Hornet!