Travel To New Guinea

petershi12345

Irian Jaya or Papua New Guinea? Two seperate countries.

Indonesia and PNG (Australian emabassy usually will be able to help for PNG visa advice)

For PNG direct flights from singapore. Not cheap. Most expensive air route per mile traveled in the world.

• 3 weeks later...
And Air New Guinea runs a clapped out ancient 767   :o

The aircraft is on lease from Air New Zealand, where it was delivered brand new in spring year 2000 (ZK-NCE, now registered as P2-ANG).

I worked and lived in PNG in 1995. Air Niugini is an excellent airline, basically run by Australians. What you get by flying with them is Qantas like safety with better service.

Edited by think_too_mut

I was told that it was ex Ansett before it went to AirNZ.

There is a company called Ansett that leases aircrafts, very big and profitable operations. Maybe the lease is through them (quite possible), hence the confusion.

Some Ansett planes may have ended up with Air NZ but not this one. Registration tracking can show that.

Expats there all prefer Air Nuigini to Qantas.

I thought that both airlines shared there ticketing.

I can remember taking off in one of ANG pocket rockets with a passenger sitting on the floor, the flight attendant standing and a passenger in the jump seat. That was about 20 years ago.

I was told that it was ex Ansett before it went to AirNZ.

There is a company called Ansett that leases aircrafts, very big and profitable operations. Maybe the lease is through them (quite possible), hence the confusion.

Some Ansett planes may have ended up with Air NZ but not this one. Registration tracking can show that.

Expats there all prefer Air Nuigini to Qantas.

I'm no expert mate. There's no choice I believe. It is only Air New Guinea flying in and out, in QF codeshare.

I'm no expert mate.  There's no choice I believe. It is only Air New Guinea flying in and out, in QF codeshare.

You are right. Since September 2002, QF buys 12 business and 70 economy class seats on ANG 767 and markets them as their own.

It think it was legendary QF65 that was bringing me in and out while I was there, competing with ANG.

Others might have a different opinion, but I believe that only very experienced travellers should go to Niugini, unless you are part of an organised cruise or tour.

It is not a place for normal tourist holiday, unfortunately, because tourism is one of the few potential industries for the country to make money and create jobs.

Basically the law and order situation is such that you are not really safe anywhere.

Others might have a different opinion, but I believe that only very experienced travellers should go to Niugini, unless you are part of an organised cruise or tour.

It is not a place for normal tourist holiday, unfortunately, because tourism is one of the few potential industries for the country to make money and create jobs.

Basically the law and order situation is such that you are not really safe anywhere.

It was crime ridden 10 years ago, some people I know who are still there say it has worsened.

Not a viable tourist destination any time soon, security and lack of infrastructure being the main problems. No lack of natural beauty, some places far behind in that regard (i.e. Guam) are doing well.

There is some infrastructure (office buildings, 1 hel_l expensive hotel, internet, banks, ATMs) created and used by Western companies but that's hardly something that would attract tourists.

PNG isn't actually that poorly equiped with reguards to infrastructure.

There are numerous international hotels in the main cities and PM is actually quite developed. They certainly have better internet than thailand. Transportation between cities by way of road is still a major problem but there is really only one major road network (morobe/highlands highway) that links 2 or more major cities. Flying is the best alternative if you're worried about the frequent hold-ups and car jackings. It is unsafe in my opinion if you were to visit as an independent traveller without local friends.

Crime is definately worse than 10 yrs ago but is seasonal. My parents were broken into 3 times last year. The rascals are quite daring nowadays and more agressive. All 3 times somebody was at home. They've got 8 ft high fences, razorwire, dogs, security bars and monitored alarms. Last christmas they were bold enough to knocked a hole in the brick wall during a thunderstorm (it was the only section of the wall that wasn't covered with a security grill). Made off with the tv in the rain, left it outside the fence when it got a bit heavy.

Edited by Sel

Probably lads from morobe. Chimbus would of at least made it to the nieghbours before they gave up.

I remember when I was a kid in Wewak (sepik province) just after independence when law and order began to be an issue. Some hard working sepiks pushed the car out the drive and down a 4x4 track (our street in those days) before they hotwired it. Unfortunately being a pile of crap fiat it had a dead engine. In actual fact the engine was still hanging from a block and tackle in the cars usual spot in the carport. The only explanation for the amount of work done was that the car must of been so light and easy to push.

Probably lads from morobe. Chimbus would of at least made it to the nieghbours before they gave up.

I remember when I was a kid in Wewak (sepik province) just after independence when law and order began to be an issue. Some hard working sepiks pushed the car out the drive and down a 4x4 track (our street in those days) before they hotwired it. Unfortunately being a pile of crap fiat it had a dead engine. In actual fact the engine was still hanging from a block and tackle in the cars usual spot in the carport. The only explanation for the amount of work done was that the car must of been so light and easy to push.

A logical outcome :o

Having lived there for three years back in self-government - independence days this (the stealing of a car with no engine) does not suprise me one little bit. I can picture it now "white mans magic to get this one going" - The original ANG plane that was leased was actually recovered from paddock - ANG could not hanger nor service hence the flight was Sydney, PoM, MNL, HK. ®.