Gekko Garden Cm

bully

Assuming this is not a troll (and it certainly bears plenty of hallmarks of one), It's very unfair to criticise a venue on the basis of staff mistakes of this kind. Staff have to abide by rules, the owner has the flexibilty to make changes in the interests of customer service. I'm sure if you spoke to the owner he'd sort out your problem in a jiffy. If I'm not in my place, the staff have my phone number so that issues like this can be dealt with promptly, I'm sure Rudi is the same. Anyway, Gecko Garden seems to have got more positive publicity than negative out of the thread so not too much harm done.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been to Geko garden and generally avoid the farang orientated bars in that part of town. Given the petty comments on this thread about the venue, it sounds like somewhere to avoid, whether the OP is right or wrong. There was a similar thread a few weeks back which made me take mental not: don't go to Number One bar :whistling:

I'm sure the venues are fine, but they seem to have a real weird bunch of customers :unsure:

No. 1 bar is in whore street, unsurprisingly with hoes working there.

Gekho restaurant is not, and doesn't.

you probably have never even been in No. 1 bar - so what was your point in posting that?

I've never been to Geko garden and generally avoid the farang orientated bars in that part of town. Given the petty comments on this thread about the venue, it sounds like somewhere to avoid, whether the OP is right or wrong. There was a similar thread a few weeks back which made me take mental not: don't go to Number One bar :whistling:

I'm sure the venues are fine, but they seem to have a real weird bunch of customers :unsure:

you probably have never even been in No. 1 bar - so what was your point in posting that?

Well if you don't think the ladies working in this bar are w_ _ _ _ s, good luck to you.

Definitely a case of being far more good publicity than bad: never heard of the place before but now I know that the next time I'm in CM, I'm probably going.

Good choice :jap:

Hey, man I'm convinced -- you can stop selling it...wink.gif

I have been a customer and have known the owner of Gekko Restaurant, Rudy, for about 5 years now. I don't go as often as I would like. I don't know a harder working man in Chiang Mai. On top of that, he treats his customers and employees with the utmost respect. His staff earns some of the highest salaries for waiters and waitresses in Chiang Mai. He has had some real challenges he has had to overcome to include corrupt employees and bad customers. Rudy goes out of his way to make you feel welcome at Gekko Garden to include sometimes bringing you out free samples of dishes he is working on. He is very sociable. Rudy doesn't advertise because he says he has more business than he can handle. If you have never been there, then you are missing out on one of Chiang Mai's best kept secrets. Gekko Garden is located here.

Well if you don't think the ladies working in this bar are w_ _ _ _ s, good luck to you.

I guess the same as you being an A_ _ _ _ _ e

steelejo.

re ... Definitely a case of being far more good publicity than bad

your right ... this is a pic of the lovely 105 baht fish and chip special on a friday

and one of gekko garden so you know what to look for.

enjoy ... dave2

ps ... yes that is a square china plate ... you can forgive rudy for that ... hes american : )

post-42592-0-44175300-1310201723_thumb.j

post-42592-0-22574300-1310201775_thumb.j

Regular customer since 2006 thank you very much. :D:rolleyes:

Though the move to BKK does affect the regularness.

steelejo.

re ... Definitely a case of being far more good publicity than bad

your right ... this is a pic of the lovely 105 baht fish and chip special on a friday

and one of gekko garden so you know what to look for.

enjoy ... dave2

ps ... yes that is a square china plate ... you can forgive rudy for that ... hes american : )

Knew you'd come up with a picture dave2.......it's hard to beat that anywhere for the price and I think the coke's are cheap too.

Should we make a fundraising to the OP? :rolleyes:

Not sure if that is needed. I think he is just disapointed that what had been his safe reliable place where he did not have to count his change is no more. Staff leaving do upset customers.

Obviously it did upset the American freeloader. ;)

'Freeloader' ?????? Someone bought him a beer, is that freeloading? So you never accept a free beer? Come On people.............

Of course, this concern is only one thing that happened, so far as I can tell, that might have occurred on a bad day anywhere in Chiang Mai, Thailand, or the planet - good employees even can have a bad day. Point is that old hands don't find any discomforts there and like many nice things.

Moreover, Gekko Garden is like a garden in many ways, green being principal, so I find the environment to be far nicer than the 'joints' some are using for comparison. Inside, I have seen a number of couples there, for example, a mix of Thais, a concerned owner who would endeavor to correct any problem, and above all, really tasty mixed drinks at happy hour.:)

(I say more, there is a certain a civility you would only encounter when they play, sometimes, the BBC on TV.)

The food makes no pretense and challenges prices for staples of farang food throughout town. Square plates are as rare in the States as self-professing Communists, though, so we should blame the owner for square plates.

Butt on the other side of it, he provides us with a variety of chairs and stools to fit almost anyone's - I see I've mentioned that.

No qualms about taking church-going friends from America there, if I had some. Nor their kids, especially if they liked tropical mixed drinks. (no, I do not know owner, just posting my experiences there)

Edited by CMX

Of course, this concern is only one thing that happened, so far as I can tell, that might have occurred on a bad day anywhere in Chiang Mai, Thailand, or the planet - good employees even can have a bad day. Point is that old hands don't find any discomforts there and like many nice things.

Moreover, Gekko Garden is like a garden in many ways, green being principal, so I find the environment to be far nicer than the 'joints' some are using for comparison. Inside, I have seen a number of couples there, for example, a mix of Thais, a concerned owner who would endeavor to correct any problem, and above all, really tasty mixed drinks at happy hour.:)

(I say more, there is a certain a civility you would only encounter when they play, sometimes, the BBC on TV.)

The food makes no pretense and challenges prices for staples of farang food throughout town. Square plates are as rare in the States as self-professing Communists, though, so we should blame the owner for square plates.

Butt on the other side of it, he provides us with a variety of chairs and stools to fit almost anyone's - I see I've mentioned that.

No qualms about taking church-going friends from America there, if I had some. Nor their kids, especially if they liked tropical mixed drinks. (no, I do not know owner, just posting my experiences there)

I had no problem taking the wife's grandson and nephew there for ice cream. they thurley enjoyed it.

I was a little unsure of taking them there but the owner assured me that there was nothing there to hide from kids and other people would bring there kids.

Thank you for the fish'n'chip photo. I've been on the search for affordable fish'n'chips not lacking quality.

I'm in and will probably go check it out on Friday!

It's really quite good and two can eat for less than the price of one at some other restaurants......for sure, especially if you include the very low price of soft drinks and the cheap beer. smile.gif

Edited by uptheos

I take my family there all the time we all love the food and the service i love the daily specials they do there is a great mix of thais and farrang and the owner is always asking you is everything ok for atmosphere i think it is the best in chiang mai by far the seats are so big my daughter loves climbing all over them .

I take my family there all the time we all love the food and the service i love the daily specials they do there is a great mix of thais and farrang and the owner is always asking you is everything ok for atmosphere i think it is the best in chiang mai by far the seats are so big my daughter loves climbing all over them .

Yes, you are right it's a place for everyone.

For the type of food and drink they serve, it would be hard to find better value for money in downtown Chiangmai.

Geez, you guys are acting like this is the best bar west of San Francisco. While I have to agree that the food is good and the drink prices are even better have you ever tried to move one of the bar stools? They weigh about 150 kilos and are hard to move before any drinks and dammened near impossible after 3 large Leos.

And dont get me started on the 3d exotic photos in the mens room. An accident waiting to happen.

Geez, you guys are acting like this is the best bar west of San Francisco.

Indeed not, just one of the best value restaurant/bar 'of it's type' downtown.

As you have already indicated the food is good and the drink prices are even better.thumbsup.gif

I say 'of it's type' because a mere few minutes walk away on Changklan, you arrive at B is B, which is also one of the best eateries downtown, but of a totally different kind.

bad luck I'd ssay but it has happened to me in other places - one bar (kats bar) in the beer place (with boxing) charged me for someones drinks because I happen to know them - I tried to argue and the owner shouted at me

bad luck I'd ssay but it has happened to me in other places - one bar (kats bar) in the beer place (with boxing) charged me for someones drinks because I happen to know them - I tried to argue and the owner shouted at me

Funny enough, I had a similar experience at the bar opposite Star Six - a guy I was sitting next to apparently went to the loo way across the other side and didn't return. I wasn't shouted at, but they asked if I knew him well and they would have been happy if I had paid the tab. If I hadn't been there many times previously, I would imagine it could have been a bit tricky.

Edited by uptheos

To get back to the OP it is a sad life when one beer can make that much difference.

He just feels peeved - I guess we all have our moments.....he had two close together.

Still, I guess he drank the beer, so nothing really lost.........just don't talk to strangers. ph34r.gif

To get back to the OP it is a sad life when one beer can make that much difference.

He just feels peeved - I guess we all have our moments.....he had two close together.

Still, I guess he drank the beer, so nothing really lost.........just don't talk to strangers. ph34r.gif

My god, your picture tells more about you than a thousand words. You really put your nose in each and every post. Nothing else to do...

ugly-birds.gif Thanks for your always great and very interesting information and comments. Never too old to learn so I expect you to be Rudy supervisor soon. Talk to him he will not refuse your offer. That was it all. Cheers.

My god, your picture tells more about you than a thousand words. You really put your nose in each and every post. Nothing else to do...

ugly-birds.gif Thanks for your always great and very interesting information and comments. Never too old to learn so I expect you to be Rudy supervisor soon. Talk to him he will not refuse your offer. That was it all. Cheers.

Hey, no hard feelings mate, let me buy you a beer sometime. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I bet Rudy is heartbroken that you've revived this thread. jap.gif

Edited by uptheos