Quality Products, Not Cheap Labour, Pheu Thai Policy: Jaruphong

webfact

In all seriousness: It's actually quite impossible to guarantee 15K nationwide for new employees, without addressing what happens with existing employees who may not be graduates but are more productive.

The buffalo has made an rather astute observation of one of the hurdles, out of many, that face some of the pie in the sky election promises.

Thank Gawd for Thaksin to guide the process, because he understands business very well.I wish he could come back sooner rather than later and get Thailand back on track, CEO style.

And then goes and completely destroys his own credibility, with a comment like this. :lol:

Excellent, happy to have clocked up another balanced post then. ;)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest to wait and see what the actual proposal, and law looks like after it passes. I don't trust newspapers enough to accurately document and translate statements, and also (and especially) not to accurately locate people who are speaking on an area they have actual authority over. What I see a lot is taking some wingnut and let him blabber a bit, and presto: a new article that doesn't actually report news, but serves to confuse the public.

In all seriousness: It's actually quite impossible to guarantee 15K nationwide for new employees, without addressing what happens with existing employees who may not be graduates but are more productive.

Right now I'm curious, but optimistic that it looks like finally something is being done for the poor. So good intentions, but I think a feasible law isn't quite there yet. Thank Gawd for Thaksin to guide the process, because he understands business very well.I wish he could come back sooner rather than later and get Thailand back on track, CEO style.

Running a country as a business means running it as a source of profit. Nothing to do with helping the poor.

Depends on the objectives. CEO style leadership means a decisive, results based leadership. It's not limited to turning a profit, it's achieving stated long term and short term goals according to a planned timeline.

His policies for the poor are simply a form of garnering votes, he doesn't care for the poor, he cares about votes and the power they'd bring to him; therefore we can count on his policies to be aimed at accruing more votes and political capital as the goal, not at necessarily be good for the down trodden.

Wait.. are you guys trying to have it both ways? 'Thaksin has never done anything for the poor!" and then right after that: "OMG, they plan to implement these specific programs for the poor, this is bad because the rich and the middle class (i.e., me)( will have to pay for it!"

Pick one. Just pick one or the other but you can't have this one both ways, especially not in the face of the poor themselves who are jumping up and down with joy at the mere prospect of being thrown a bone.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

So what happens if the small business, for example a restaurant, you know the type a small Kao Man Gai type which operate on a shoestring budget can't afford to pay the 300 baht a day for it's staff. A fuc**ng useless policy which will increase poverty as employers lay off people, to pay for those that remain. So it seems there are 3 options

1) close the business

2) cut down on staff

3) put up prices to cover the extra cost

What a stupid statement. First of all these are hastily thrown up mini shacks at best or salaengs at worst, all 'run' and operated by THE ENTIRE family. 'Staff'...

I suggest to wait and see what the actual proposal, and law looks like after it passes. I don't trust newspapers enough to accurately document and translate statements, and also (and especially) not to accurately locate people who are speaking on an area they have actual authority over. What I see a lot is taking some wingnut and let him blabber a bit, and presto: a new article that doesn't actually report news, but serves to confuse the public.

Right now I'm curious, but optimistic that it looks like finally something is being done for the poor. So good intentions, but I think a feasible law isn't quite there yet. Thank Gawd for Thaksin to guide the process, because he understands business very well.I wish he could come back sooner rather than later and get Thailand back on track, CEO style.

Running a country as a business means running it as a source of profit. Nothing to do with helping the poor.

Depends on the objectives. CEO style leadership means a decisive, results based leadership. It's not limited to turning a profit, it's achieving stated long term and short term goals according to a planned timeline.

His policies for the poor are simply a form of garnering votes, he doesn't care for the poor, he cares about votes and the power they'd bring to him; therefore we can count on his policies to be aimed at accruing more votes and political capital as the goal, not at necessarily be good for the down trodden.

Wait.. are you guys trying to have it both ways? 'Thaksin has never done anything for the poor!" and then right after that: "OMG, they plan to implement these specific programs for the poor, this is bad because XYZ."

Pick one. Just pick one or the other but you can't have this one both ways, especially not in the face of the poor themselves who are jumping up and down with joy at the mere prospect of being thrown a bone.

+ 1

Jarupong noted that the plan to increase the minimum wage to 300 baht a day aims to help low-income earners support themselves. He reaffirmed that the same rate will apply to all provinces.

That's interesting. What are the minimum wages in provinces at the lower end of the scale?

Will that reduce the incentive for businesses to invest in some provinces?

Wait.. are you guys trying to have it both ways? 'Thaksin has never done anything for the poor!" and then right after that: "OMG, they plan to implement these specific programs for the poor, this is bad because XYZ."

I'm afraid you are missing the nuance of the position.

My challenge was to name any program or initiative done for the poor by Thaksin decoupled of any political benefit. You can help the poor in an altruistic manner or as a ploy to obtain prestige and political power. The key difference between those is that with the last just the appearance of helping the poor suffices, it's not really necessary to implement programs that would make a positive change.

For example, the one million Baht found for villages, that while on the surface would be perceived as helping the poor (throwing the proverbial bone as you put it) on reality did little to alleviate social problems or even increased them by sending people into greater debts.

My question was what programs Thaksin has endorsed, financed or proposed that he didn't expect to gain political capital from. He is exulted as a champion for the poor oppressed masses, where are his credentials of altruistic battles against poverty, better education, health and justice? What has he done that is not linked to accruing more power for himself? When has he used his own money for any of that?

I put as an example the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, there are others; rich people that actually show concern for people under difficult situations and set out to help them not to gain votes or get financial kickbacks out of it. Again the question is, when has Thaksin (paladin of the poor and blah blah) done anything similar? He's got the money, he talks the talk, but what has he done?

In my experience the more they make the more days they take off during the month. These guys figure out how much money they need and that is the # of days they will show up for work. When i try to get them to work overtime so they can make more money instead of me bringing in extra workers they say it cuts into their drinking time. The guys that want to work hard already make 300 per day or more.

I totally agree with you.

Plenty of Shan immigrants earn 250-300 per day - but thats because they're reliable & hardworking which makes them indispensable to their (Thai) boss.

Edited by Chopperboy

Jarupong noted that the plan to increase the minimum wage to 300 baht a day aims to help low-income earners support themselves. He reaffirmed that the same rate will apply to all provinces.

That's interesting. What are the minimum wages in provinces at the lower end of the scale?

In my little province in Isaan, it's 156 baht/day. I believe the lowest rate is 153 baht/day.

So, the proposal means close to doubling the minimum wage here.

If he cared about the poor he would have improved the schools while he was in office. You are right though that he and his family have plenty enough where they could improve the life of the poor using their own personal fortune.

But didn't Thaksin pay off the IMF loan with his own money?

:whistling:

:blink::lol::giggle::cheesy:

<br />
<br />
<br />How exactly would the government actually police this policy anyway? Has any small business owner on here ever had the government come round to check if you are currently paying the minimum wage? We certainly never have.<br /><br /><br />If we are forced to pay 300 baht a day for unskilled workers then we will either have to put our prices up or fire somebody, neither of which is going to help anybody.<br />
<br /><br />Good question and I guess it will be policed via the Revenue and Labour Depts.<br />Revenue Dept at year end after audit, when assessing tax liability and Lab.Dept in the event of any disputes with staff.<br />
<br /><br />The people who need an increase the most probably work for small outfits that never have any contact with the revenue or labour dept. We certainly never do, they just don't care. The first year we went to pay taxes we were told to go away without paying because we had only been open a year.<br />That leaves them the option of going to complain somewhere I guess, at which point they will probably be fired for missing work anyway. It might help people working for big companies but the girl washing the dishes at a local restaurant will never see 300 baht a day.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

A friend of mine set up a small business along with his daughter. He was amazed at how much paperwork was involved and how much tax he was supposed to pay! He asked a Thai business lawyer how the average small Thai business handled it.... Of course the answer was that many small Thai businesses are unregistered and pay no taxes!

The basic rule of thumb seemed to be that a proper business with a permanent location (like a shophouse) paid taxes, but your average street stall didn't.

How are they going to enforce a minimum wage with these small businesses when they don't enforce anything else?

It will take someone to turn them into the labor department. I know of one company that employed virtually everyone in the village that was turned into the labor department. When the labor department came to arbitrate between the owner and the workers he simply said if i have to pay that wage and follow all of th labor department rules he will close down. He said he has enough money already so he does not need the business but the village needs the jobs. The labor department told the workers if they don't like it then quit. I know of smaller businesses that told the owner if he did not like it then close down. It mainly depends on how many jobs you provide in that village compared to the total number of jobs. (also how much tea money you pay to the labor department i would imagine)

Oh yes two of the biggest red haters on the forum jump out of their gilded cages to tell thailand how much they should pay their slaves I mean workers. Of course in your home country if these people were you or your family and they were not paid enough to maintain a decent standard of living to provide for their families it would be a different story wouldnt it ???

That's a loaded question and you are ignoring FACTS. Unemployment and even more so HIGH INFLATION are the two things that bring the most suffering, mainly to POOR PEOPLE. You don't even listen to me, I think they need massive reforms in TAXES of the wealthy, and major LAND reform. That's real right wing, is it?

100 Baht more a day = 120 Baht to pay more for essential food and stuff every day. Basic economics in these days.

A friend of mine set up a small business along with his daughter. He was amazed at how much paperwork was involved and how much tax he was supposed to pay! He asked a Thai business lawyer how the average small Thai business handled it.... Of course the answer was that many small Thai businesses are unregistered and pay no taxes!

The basic rule of thumb seemed to be that a proper business with a permanent location (like a shophouse) paid taxes, but your average street stall didn't.

How are they going to enforce a minimum wage with these small businesses when they don't enforce anything else?

It wouldn't directly affect "under-the-table" employers.

It would affect factories and legit businesses.

Also, many small businesses hire foreign workers for manual labor-type jobs.

A business can pay to legally register a foreign worker and still spend less than they would on a Thai employee in the long run.

i think that Thailand should make some kind of aperture to attractmore foreign invesment and devellop their economy, china and vietnam have gave the perect axample o what to do....Thai people don't have the capital necessary to make Thailand become the next japan or south korea so they to get that money from foreigner......i think that with the right policies this country could become so devellop as South Korea or Japan in two decades more or less ,but unfortunatelly...............

i think that Thailand should make some kind of aperture to attractmore foreign invesment and devellop their economy, china and vietnam have gave the perect axample o what to do....Thai people don't have the capital necessary to make Thailand become the next japan or south korea so they to get that money from foreigner......i think that with the right policies this country could become so devellop as South Korea or Japan in two decades more or less ,but unfortunatelly...............

You need education and innovation to rise above the developing nation status. Sadly, Thailand has neither of that. It has rice and cheap labor

Edited by EnhancePlus

You need education and innovation to rise above the developing nation status. Sadly, Thailand has neither of that. It has rice and cheap labor

look, when korea started to devellop their situation in many aspects was worst that Thailand( regarding to human resourses) and don't need to mention china, here the problem is not about resources, i think that here the problem is about the lack of political will for doing so, just that.

Edited by caribbeanman

Yes we wouldnt want those peasants making a decent wage which they could spend to buy more of the products they produce in their current slave labor job would we while the factory owner laughs all the way to the bank ?

You're not thinking too clearly. Clearly it would be great to redistribute more wealth from the rich in taxes to make reasonable mass wage increases possible. But for some reason (hint the Thaksins and their buddies ARE part of the ELITE) you don't hear any talk about PAYING for these increases from the hiso class. They've got to come from somewhere, Thailand's actual human capital (what the workers are producing overall) is quite low by international standard, so high wages aren't really justified unless they are earned. First, Thailand must prioritizing the CAUSE of wealth (aside from natural resources) human capital.

Slow down buddy, Thaksin DOES have a plan to pay for it with taxes! One of PTP platforms (and the one most likely to actually happen) is to lower corporate income tax from 30% to 23%. The savings will trickle down the common man! PTP is all about helping the poor!

Citing a study by the International Labour Organisation, he said the daily minimum wage should be Bt441 - a rate he said would by sufficient to feed and support a labourer with a wife and a child in one day.

So, are they basically saying that having it at 300 means that the child still cannot eat? And that even at 441 baht a day does it mean Dad has to work 7-days a week or is it just assumed the family will not eat on week-ends?

I don;t know what all this is about really, I live far better than the Thai around me, my daily food and living amounts to less than this 300/400 bht. breakfast +coffee/orange juice=40bht........lunch burger 25bht......dinner potatoes greens gravy chicken, fruit..70bht.......supper coffee 5bht. eaten at home.

Thais will live on Thai food at a third the price. And most eat with families so the cost is less.

All my food I buy at Tesco Lotus. If I bought Thai food I would live at a lot lower cost.

Yesterday 5 kilo's of rice at Tesco was 90 bht, chicken at 80 bht a kilo.

my days food 140bht......electric 50bht----water 10bht....incidentals 25bht--225 bht a day.

no I am not a cheap charlie..I eat very well-the same as in England.

I think that Thais need a better income, to live more comfortable. but I have proven --above it's not all that bad===COMMENTS==sure ???

im envious and dont know where were going wrong cant seem to get it below 200,000 baht a month how ever much we try. But then 2 kids at international school with all extras is about 40,000 of that. 2 cars and petrol 15,000 a month. Food and bits without eating out 30-40,000 and so on. Im not boasting and admit we live a really fantastic lifestyle but nothing really over top. Going out and eating out only accounts for about 5,000 a month. How Thais like our maids live on 10,000 a month is beyond me but im told thats much more than most get. 300 baht a day is not living its surviving. I fully support a decent minimum wage but problem is most thais I see seem incapable or dont want to do what most in west would call a good days work. Even good ones seem to take 3-4 times longer to do anything than someone would in west. I dont know the answer and thankfully even with very low wages for most here I have not seen any grinding poverty as in parts of Africa and some parts of Asia.

look, when korea started to devellop their situation in many aspects was worst that Thailand( regarding to human resourses) and don't need to mention china, here the problem is not about resources, i think that here the problem is about the lack of political will for doing so, just that.

It also took them 50 years to do so and a nice little incentive from big money backers knowing that'll be on their side if the north starts any trouble. Do you know how strict and disciplinary a Korean school curriculum is?

I agree with the statement about political agenda. It's all about elementary school yard bullying tactics and less about the benefit of the people.

It also took them 50 years to do so and a nice little incentive from big money backers knowing that'll be on their side if the north starts any trouble. Do you know how strict and disciplinary a Korean school curriculum is?

I agree with the statement about political agenda. It's all about elementary school yard bullying tactics and less about the benefit of the people.

i really don't know , but many koreans studied with me when i was at beijing's tzinhua university(清华大学), and the most of them are very similiar to the thais students, and are extreamly good at cheating :) , but thats not the point my point is that Thailnd needs the rights policies and time and the rest will come, just like in china, if they opend their market to foreign investment that is gonne bring a lot of competition and the only option for thai workers will be to become more competitive or....... i particulary think that this law of rising the minimum salary whithout changing the policy of Thailand towar foreign investment is not a good idea, but this is up to the Thais , they are the one who most to chose what they consider the best for them.

i really don't know , but many koreans studied with me when i was at beijing's tzinhua university(清华大学), and the most of them are very similiar to the thais students, and are extreamly good at cheating :) , but thats not the point my point is that Thailnd needs the rights policies and time and the rest will come, just like in china, if they opend their market to foreign investment that is gonne bring a lot of competition and the only option for thai workers will be to become more competitive or....... i particulary think that this law of rising the minimum salary whithout changing the policy of Thailand towar foreign investment is not a good idea, but this is up to the Thais , they are the one who most to chose what they consider the best for them.

Well maybe things have changed in the Korean education system since. My experience stems from those I went to college with 20+ years ago.

Foreign investment will be shunned here for a long time to come.

Edited by EnhancePlus

]

Well maybe things have changed in the Korean education system since. My experience stems from those I went to college with 20+ years ago.

Foreign investment will be shunned here for a long time to come.

i agree with you.

" He added that worker skills must be improved, and the production of high-value products must be promoted in order to correspond with higher wages and the economic development plan in 2020."

I fully agree, however it is normal practice to raise productivity and value generated BEFORE the pay rise. This is called incentive, or the carrot method. His way, you use the other method, the stick - earn your wage or get a DCM. (Don't Come Monday)

" He added that worker skills must be improved, and the production of high-value products must be promoted in order to correspond with higher wages and the economic development plan in 2020."

I fully agree, however it is normal practice to raise productivity and value generated BEFORE the pay rise. This is called incentive, or the carrot method. His way, you use the other method, the stick - earn your wage or get a DCM. (Don't Come Monday)

Yeah, they sure are good at dangling the carrotlaugh.gif

Just proclaiming the products "quality" doesn't actually make them quality. Clearly, cart before the horse here. Reminds me of the oh so successful "quality tourist" policy. Yep, as I said from day one, looking forward to sharp spikes in prices and much more unemployment. Happy days are here again ... for those close to the Thasksin dynasty.

There doesn't seem much right going on in Thailand for you these days. I don't know what it is that keeps you here?

Sounds like a good idea. The world is already flooded with crappy Chinese products. We need low-cost while still quality products. That's the future Thai market.

I don;t think Thailand has that image actually - to me Thailand Thai good imported abroad is more the quaint, fairly expensive, stuff - not technological, more artistic or craft (wood carvings, bronze, silver, expensive furniture, silk) - not really known as a major exporter at all outside of exotic food and stapple. I too would like to see this change.

Thailand exports a significant quantity of computer hard drives, PCBs, ICs and other computer components.

Yes I know - but ask the man on the street (Europe or USA) and they will say the manufactures name - DVD units come from Japan or USA etc. Ask the man on the street (Europe/USA) what comes from Thailand, and they will most likely say "exotic fruit" or rice". Ask the same man what coems from Hong Kong or China and they will likely say "crap". This is what I meant by image.

Ask the equivalent man 25 years ago about Japan, you would likely hear "crap" - ask today "state of the art electronics", "quality cars". That is what Thailand wants to get to - image is important - it attracts trade and consumers both. Thailand is lucky IMO as it is not starting out with a "crap" general impression, so they are starting from zero and not negatives. It takes time, but doesn't have to take generations (it didn't for Japan for example - though thanks to WW2 guilt they were given much help and concessions along the way - at least at the start). I think it doable, just needs the right investment and the right world media campagn - and it needs an educated innovative and quality work force (which is the current obstacle - and why Thailand puts together such items as you describe, but does not design them and they (the devices) are "produced" by companies like Seagate etc).

Just proclaiming the products "quality" doesn't actually make them quality. Clearly, cart before the horse here. Reminds me of the oh so successful "quality tourist" policy. Yep, as I said from day one, looking forward to sharp spikes in prices and much more unemployment. Happy days are here again ... for those close to the Thasksin dynasty.

There doesn't seem much right going on in Thailand for you these days. I don't know what it is that keeps you here?

Sorry, that's a moronic statement - especialy as the thread is about policies set forth by the Government to make changes. Do you think they are making changes for no reason, or because they think it is "not right"? If the latter, then what keeps them here?

...could it be that they, and we since we are discussing it in a quite (almost unheard of on TV these days!) civil manor, care about the country we call home, where our families and loved ones live, and care about its future? Or should those that care about the country "go home" instead? Leaving what???

Edited by wolf5370

This is an excellent, and very overlooked, question. I guess if we break "business" into two camps, say local business that can't move (mum & pop stores etc) and commercial enterprise (like factories etc), then the former is stuffed (unless the Gov compensates them - assuming they are registered at all).

The latter, needs more thought perhaps. They will stay in place in those areas if other reasons make it not cost affective to move (such as land prices, skilled local labour, investment in the area already spent/commiitted, local deals, fear of bad publicity,etc). This really is more of an issue for new companies - why open a factory in some out lieing province when it can be put just outside BKK (land prices permitting) and with all the benefits that comes therein (infrastructure/education/closeness to the ports/etc).

For new factories, it can be handled in a similar way it was by Thatcher in the UK (as part of a policy to move businesses out of London to other areas where local trades were dieing out and heavily Gov. subsidised - like coal and farming - and to combat brain drain and youth drain in those areas) - give incentives via the tax system (both land buying taxes and corporate income taxes). It worked quite well in the UK, and was continued (and extended) under early New Labour. We do not know if these policies are on the table here yet - but it is a win-win solution for the new Gov as it does not directly hurt companies (or the elite) and even gives options for pre-existing companies struggling with BKK costs and travel issues a cost affective way out.

//Edit: Ever noticed how you notice all the spelling mistakes AFTER hotting submit!//

If you notice this notice, you'll notice this notice is not worth noticing!

Edited by wolf5370

Sounds like a good idea. The world is already flooded with crappy Chinese products. We need low-cost while still quality products. That's the future Thai market.

I don;t think Thailand has that image actually - to me Thailand Thai good imported abroad is more the quaint, fairly expensive, stuff - not technological, more artistic or craft (wood carvings, bronze, silver, expensive furniture, silk) - not really known as a major exporter at all outside of exotic food and stapple. I too would like to see this change.

Thailand exports a significant quantity of computer hard drives, PCBs, ICs and other computer components.

No, they don't. Large, foreign multinationals, who built plants here to exploit cheap labor and good logistics build those products. Thailand does not reap much of the profit on those high-margin goods. And, contrary to another poster's assertion, they ARE marked "Made in Thailand".

All this discussion of minimum wage is just so typically Thai. A little something for nothing, even if that something leads to less (because of inflation, layoffs, etc.), is ALWAYS preferable to working hard to improve your standard of living.

Don't you think square-face, et al, know this? Didn't they pander to and exploit this with every "free tablet computer" and "300 baht minimum wage" poster in all of Isaan?

I didn't see a single poster promoting education, or increased productivity, or work ethic reward.

The money likes it the way it is. The media stimulates the desire for all the material wealth, but conveniently leaves out the part about hard work being required to attain it.

The money plays in its own sandbox, endlessly mired in a zero-sum game, while the politicians from whence they come, promise what they will not deliver.

Thaksin is famous for his micro-loan schemes, giving villagers money. Ask yourself who benefits from these 'loans'. The local hardware store or his buddy's Honda dealership/AIS outlet/Isuzu dealership?

Work ethic, opportunity and government policy enabling PRODUCTIVITY. That is the key formula.

Thailand has precious little of ANY of the required ingredients. It has been a nice place to be, while it was complacent. But as Thais begin to see past the rice fields to the vastness of consumerism, I fear, my friends, that we have awakened a sleeping midget.