Apartment/Condo For 6-9K Per Month

CrankyCarrot

Low season/low prices officially end at the start of November, right?

Low season prices whenever the houseowner (or hotel owner, business owner, etc.) feels he can reasonably get more for his property/enterprise. Hotels e.g. normally 1 November is start of high season.

Summer breeze? I must have missed that article.

6k for Kamala sounds great though.

There's a lot of empty houses and hotels in Kamala during low season (and probably many other places in Phuket). There are some Thais that would rather have their property empty 12 months a year than lower their prices, but others are more pragmatic and would rather get something than nothing.

When I made my enquiries, I was initially getting "farang" prices (10K plus), but after I had been to see a few places, word seemed to get around that I was not going to pay over the odds - one of my potential landlords even called me back as she had "suddenly" been able to make a big discount on her original price.

It's a bit like buying shirts from the tailors - go into several shops on one street, walk out of the first few no matter what price you are quoted, once the guys further down the street see what you are up to you will magically start getting offered the rock-bottom prices.

Yeah, I got a few call backs from places who seemed to think their's was the only place I'd visited and would therefore know who they were.

*ring ring

"Halloo - You come for look room?"

"Yes - sorry, what was the name of your apartment? Where was it?"

"You look room, today, yes?"

"Chai - but I look many room. What was the name of your building, room, apartment?"

"Yes. You want room?"

"Mai khap kun. Thanks anyway, bye bye."

I really need to learn how to speak Thai better...

"Chai - but I look many room. What was the name of your building, room, apartment?"

"Yes. You want room?"

"Mai khap kun. Thanks anyway, bye bye."

I really need to learn how to speak Thai better...

Handing my mobile phone to my Thai GF is my "easy" solution! I could do with more Thai as well.

My current landlord made a last-ditch effort to keep me, and dropped the rent from 13K to 8K a month, so I'm staying put for now. There are definitely lots of low-season bargains to be had around the island, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...