View Monitor On Network

CharlieH

Thanks for the replies so far but I dont need access/control via INTERNET, just need LAN access.

The computer I am trying to monitor is within the house (daughter) on the same wireless network.

Thanks for the replies so far but I dont need access/control via INTERNET, just need LAN access.

The computer I am trying to monitor is within the house (daughter) on the same wireless network.

The recommended software, specifically VNC, will work on the internal LAN and configured for monitoring only. I use it at the lab using the internal LAN I work at to monitor status of control system computers. In these cases, control is not wanted and dangerous as these are high power physics machines. I configure for view only mode.

//edit - I use TightVNC and run AndroidVNC on my mobile phone and can monitor the system computers from my phone wirelessly from anywhere in the 3 buildings that are connected on the Internal (private) LAN. Also on my main workstation at the lab.

I think everyone seems to miss what the OP is saying. I think the OP is trying to view what is going on without the knowledge of his daughter. In essence spying on her computer usage.

To that point, I know of no simple solution. After all, that kind of thing would bring up all kinds of security issues.

For that reason, it's often suggested that children's use of a computer should be in a public area of the house. Not behind closed doors.

I think everyone seems to miss what the OP is saying. I think the OP is trying to view what is going on without the knowledge of his daughter. In essence spying on her computer usage.

Not missing it at all. When TightVNC is running the user is unaware. It runs as a service and can maintain invisibility to the user.

Not missing it at all. When TightVNC is running the user is unaware. It runs as a service and can maintain invisibility to the user.

Downloaded this, installed it, then got nowhere, no instructions, nothing...........guess you need far more advanced skills to use this software but with no explanations or guidance I was stuffed.

Downloaded this, installed it, then got nowhere, no instructions, nothing...........guess you need far more advanced skills to use this software but with no explanations or guidance I was stuffed.

Instructions

Thanks for that.............will try again when I can access the other machine and install software there before i can do anything.

"So to get started, you need to run a server on the machine you want to access remotely, and connect to it with a viewer"

appreciate the help guys !....thanks again

Edited by CharlieH

I would recommend to install it as a Service only on the computer you want to monitor. It will start the service automatically when the machine boots up. Your machine will be the Client.

Install teamviewer (its free), however both machines (yours and the one you want to view), should be able to connect to the internet

Thanks for the suggestion but I dont want it to be used via the internet as per post no:5

Edited by CharlieH

I would recommend to install it as a Service only on the computer you want to monitor. It will start the service automatically when the machine boots up. Your machine will be the Client.

Also, check the IP on the computer you are monitoring - you will need that for you to connect to it. Should be something like 192.168.x.x.

off topic ?

between ultravnc and tightvnc, which is more suitable for a newbie ?

where the learning curve is not steep

I used to use UltraVNC but switched to tightvnc as it has a smaller footprint (uses less resources), seemed faster and setup is a breeze on it. You may lose some options, but for the OP's purpose it is perfect.

//edit - if the OP needs a step by step guide to configuring it correctly after it is installed I will be happy to do it. Just tested it out on my Netbook which is connected through WiFi and you can see nothing to tell it is being monitored after setting the proper 'buttons' The only place is through task manager but it only shows the service is running.

//edit2 - also may want to remove it from the start menu to eliminate final evidence. ;)

TeamViewer can be configured to accept LAN connections only.

Be aware that any RD package is not stealthy: mouse and keyboard inputs are transferred as default, so be sure to disable these features whichever piece of software you go with.

Install teamviewer (its free), however both machines (yours and the one you want to view), should be able to connect to the internet

Thanks for the suggestion but I dont want it to be used via the internet as per post no:5

off topic ?

between ultravnc and tightvnc, which is more suitable for a newbie ?

where the learning curve is not steep

I can only say that being a releatively newbie myself and just used the tightvnc, it is extremely easy to use. Install on machine to be watched, tick a few boxes, remove the icon from the tray so they have no idea its on the system, go back to your pc enter the IP number and its instant.......very impressed and just what I was looking for.

BIG thanks to Tywais for the info and guidance !!!

I can only say that being a releatively newbie myself and just used the tightvnc, it is extremely easy to use. Install on machine to be watched, tick a few boxes, remove the icon from the tray so they have no idea its on the system, go back to your pc enter the IP number and its instant.......very impressed and just what I was looking for.

BIG thanks to Tywais for the info and guidance !!!

That was quick, good job. Glad it worked out for you.

I used to use UltraVNC but switched to tightvnc as it has a smaller footprint (uses less resources), seemed faster and setup is a breeze on it. You may lose some options, but for the OP's purpose it is perfect.

//edit - if the OP needs a step by step guide to configuring it correctly after it is installed I will be happy to do it. Just tested it out on my Netbook which is connected through WiFi and you can see nothing to tell it is being monitored after setting the proper 'buttons' The only place is through task manager but it only shows the service is running.

//edit2 - also may want to remove it from the start menu to eliminate final evidence. ;)

I watched a video on installing ultravnc where I can install it at a service and in silent mode; if it's available with tightvnc I suppose I will try it out

I hate reading the manuals

I too have been thinking about monitoring the kids computer same as the OP so this come at an opportune time for me.

Thanks for all the info. Does sound a bit daunting to set up but will give it a go when kids go back to school on Monday.

:)

I watched a video on installing ultravnc where I can install it at a service and in silent mode; if it's available with tightvnc I suppose I will try it out

I hate reading the manuals

They are both very good applications. UltraVNC has more features and as such a bit more top heavy than TightVNC. TightVNC can run the exact same stealth mode as UltraVNC with a couple of clicks on options - such as, keep wall paper, remove icon from tray, disable controls so the mouse doesn't move on the monitored screen, etc. Of course using task manager it will show as a service but even then it can't be determined it is being actively used.