Swedish Expat Murdered At Luxury Villa In Phuket

webfact

Since the OP is going to dominate the thread long after it has been been proven wrong, please nuke the text in the OP and link to a more current news article.

Thank you.

(And perhaps remove all replies talking about the incorrect OP.)

apparently, this cannot be done - see my similar request post # 243 and the response.

This news thread is based on a false news report. Are we on auto-pilot, no one at the wheel?

It seems simple enough to do.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt some are mentally ill and/or have homicidal tendencies, but that far from being the rule. A high % of service industry(tuk tuk, touts, taxi drivers, scammers) are attracted to and present in tourist areas, where non coincidentally foreigners live.

Every society has crazies. Normally, a foreigner does not live in low end areas in his own country, for good reason, safety.

In my experience as a moderately conversational capable person, a decent % of tuk tuk, taxi, motorcycle drivers have alcohol issues. May have drug issues also. May have both.

Even in Patong, the great majority of employees within Jung Ceylon Mall are nothing like the low life counterparts. Bangla/Patong certainly has criminal elements just like areas in USA with street hookers would/does.

A very high % are so shy they try to avoid direct eye contact with each other. Some appear to even be afraid of their own shadows. As infamous as are the corrupt police, the degree of non-confrontation is equally legendary. When you add alcohol/drugs, all bets are off.

Bangla road simply does not usually attract highly educated/intelligent nationals.

The best thing is to simply accept the way things are. If thai society were like Japan society, the prices would also be much higher. Yes, I know about cheating and corruption being a normal part of much of society.

Perhaps the most difficult thing to accept is that it is not the most advanced society in the world (sarcasm) Once you accept and go beyond, life gets much better. Also do realize that mainstream thai people are not interested in living in places like patong, pattaya, etc, therefore the expat community becomes the main social network. Believe me there actually do exist great thai people albeit often they lived/studied abroad or have high level parents, though not all.

Wow.

I don't know where to begin...OK, we'll do the beginning and the end...

What do service industry(tuk tuk, touts, taxi drivers have to do with this thread?

And the "great Thai people" often have lived/studied abroad or have high level parents?

Wow.

3. I have heard many times -- from expats, not Thais -- something like this: "Do you know how easy it is to get someone killed here?" Think about it: What kind of expat would go around saying that kind of thing in the first place? Probably one who contemplates such things: contract killings.

The only reason why expats speak like this is because they have learned it from the locals. If the number of locals who run rough-shod over the laws of the land were to decrease dramatically, along with an overall decrease in crime and an increase in enforcement and punishment, you can bet that less and less expats would speak like that. Lay the blame at the root of things... There are too many locals creating too many problems which they seem to get away with and to an outsider, it looks like the place is something of a free-for-all where anything, including contract killing, goes. It becomes a case of monkey see, monkey do.

TheWalkingMan

Walking Man,

You make a fair point -- or as the old saying goes, "It takes two hands to clap." I cannot disagree entirely with what you say. Still, it is incumbent upon foreign guests to not be part of this kind of thing -- which always begins with words.

The old saying about sticks and stones just isn't true and I'm put off every time I hear an expat make casual reference to the ease with which someone can be killed here. In one instance, a former co-worker of mine threatened to have another co-worker killed because of a dispute in the office. I couldn't believe it -- even among supposedly educated people, this kind of talk is heard. In that moment, I lost all respect for the guy -- just that he was willing to even consider, let alone articulate, such a thing. Obviously, I could only wonder if he would (or had) said the same for me. Only a thug can think or talk like that.

In five years here, I have heard many things, and of all things I hear perhaps the most offensive is how farang talk about how easy it is to get someone killed in Thailand. It's about as uncivilized a topic of conversation imaginable. Whatever locals do or "offer" in this regard is among the locals. Good farang can choose not to be part of it, which begins with denouncing it.

Talking about having someone killed and how easy it is is just repulsive and has no place in any civilized discourse, especially where there is a problem. The easy way to put locals out of this racket, if they're really the problem, is to not be part of it -- including even talking about it.

In your own country, if someone said they were going to pay someone to have another person killed, it would be treated as a criminal threat, if not solicitation. It should be the same here.

We foreigners in Thailand need to raise the bar -- on ourselves.

In a normal life / environment it's unlikely you'll have problem with Thai people.

As long as you tread carefully and watch where you set your feet, and that's not normal walking I tell you :huh:

As for the complaint of racist comments, we are all racists.

Multiculturism does not work, top politicians begin to accept reality (see Merkel)

I live here and I do accept "they" do not (need to) like me.

Neither do I like to live in a muslim country/culture, therefore I left Europe.

And I do associate muslims with Arabs.

@ Tartempion, HarleyClarke and others: Freedom of opinion and expression is one of the basic human rights, and well, this is one thing, but all your racist motivated comments make me really think!!! I am following the threads in TV for quite a while - and by today, I finally come to the conclusion that this forum simply is not for me, reading all this crap I feel ashamed of being Farang to every Thai national reading this!

What you guys think where the greed & grudge (if there is any) comes from? Blame yourself, all of you (uber)rich out there who have nothing else to do than showing off your wealth, treating others badly, acting as this country is owned by you....

Don' t forget we alll are guests in this country. And there are still few things money can't buy ;-)

dam_n it what a big bunch of stupidness in here, period!

You are a bit touchy Tina....your post chooses to ignore the truth.

My post was pure fact...not fiction as attested to here every single day with the daily abuse of foreigners by Thais and the Thai establishment. Show me I am wrong. I did state in the opening line of my post....."many (not all) Thais especially in tourist areas (not throughout the country)...".

This is not a grudge of mine or words of a (uber) rich man...just plain facts. Again...tell me that every day the rip off, scams, cheats, murders, beatings to foreigners do not happen. Tell me the police and authorities investigate every one of these with impartiality and vigour. Not a hope in hell.

I know all too well that I am a guest in Thailand as I do in every other country that I visit. I always conduct myself with full regard to local customs and laws. Always. I have travelled 4 continents so I guess you could say I know the ropes a little by now.

You will not doubt be pleased to see the sub humans here appear to be foreign.

Again...the issue here is not racism...keep this for a post elsewhere...but the brutal murder of a young man who did not deserve to be murdered.

@HarleyClarkey: No, I am not touchy at all. My comment was addressed not only at you but a few others too. Neither me mentioning 'grudge' nor 'the rich', was addressed at you, kindly follow the thread and my comments to posts more attentively!!! It is just that I can' t take it any longer to hear and read such misleading crap... I am living in Thailand for 8 years now knowing the country from first visit onwards, 24 years ago. I have lived in Europe, The States, Emirates and South Africa - In Thailand several years each in Samui, Phuket and few now on Koh Chang. It is a shame that many people in here always go against Thai -and let's not forget that the murder was done by Swedes, NOT Thai-

As long as I am living here in Thailand I simply can not tell about a single bad experience wether it' ll be with Thai people, the Thai establishment, Thai goverment, Thai neighbours, firends or people I just know a little... Never have been ripped off, never raped, never have been hit, stabbed, robbed, shot at or what so ever all those headlines and topics are about every single day and which you call evidence! Can you read Thai? I can not, but I bet that if we would lose the color in our faces if we could and by reading Thai forums, newspapers and such...

There is so many criminal energy which comes from foreign people and as said earlier if their is gread and grunge from Thai side, it is for sure for a reason. I blame Farang to have caused lots of criminal energy coming up from Thais... Buying their land, spending millions and millions for luxury housing, destroying their land, playing big boy with the newest and most expensive cars and in front of the female Thais...

I only can say that I have never ever experienced any neg. discrimination or bad behaviour against me or other likeminded Farangs by Thai, I was and still am always treated with friendliness, kindness, respect and a helping hand if needed (without having to pay for it!) and I know lots of Thai and Farang people and the only bad experiences I have made during all that years I have had with Farangs and people of same nationality in particular! Seems that I am one of the lucky few to always have carefully chosen whom I am spending time with and where...Well and it also seems that I am one of the few treating Thai people very well, respect their different ways of thinking and living, behavior, culture, mentality a etc. pp. No mate, I m definitely not touchy... I just do not like iniquity, superficiality, intolerance or stupidity....

The reason why I said you has been many times on Thaivisa already - assulting and muredering foreigners. An police just don't do any movement because they are Thai but we are nobody and nothing here.

Do you know statistic of insurance companies - the most number of foreigners asking for medical help exactly in Thailand. Guess why?

And.. Do you really think that Thai people will be gentl to you if they need something from you - you money or your property or you life?

Food poisoning ?

Drunk motorbike crashes ?

Drunk fights ?

Drunk accidents ?

My money's on "bashing heads against a wall when there is no alcohol sold on holidays" :P

:D:lol::D

The fellow who was killed was a Swede who has figured into some sleazy activities in Sweden, such as sending out fake invoices and other shady businesses. I imagine it was a question of time before his illegit activities caught up with him.

New news from swedish media. The victim is a 25-year old RUSSIAN, but Swedish residence since 2000, then moving to Thailand three years ago. Did business with swedish and norwegians on a telephone-scame company based in Thailand. Jumped off and told the Bib about the others. Two swedes are arrested and has confessed.

I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again; Don`t get involved here!.

Thailand is renowned for attracting the scum of the Earth, cut throats, villians and criminals.

Absolutely! That's what I was always saying...

But some people did not believe me.

The fact is that it's getting worse and worse over here.

I am looking for other places to settle like Indonesia, Micronesia, Tahiti, Mauritius...

I think Mauritius is a very good place. What do you think?

The fellow who was killed was a Russian Swede who has figured into some sleazy activities in Sweden, such as sending out fake invoices and other shady businesses. I imagine it was a question of time before his illegit activities caught up with him.

I meant to edit this but there were some site issues here. Apparently the murderers and the victim were all part of an illegal call center set up at the Viking Hotel in Pattaya to sell non-existent goods to Swedes. It is alleged that made a fortune but managed to bribe their way out of the situation, so there was no trial. This is all according to a Swede based in Thailand. None of them had a permit to work in Thailand but managed to stay there anyway. Somehow I doubt that these two will be able to bribe themselves out of this situation.

Edited by EJW

Let's see, just yesterday we read about the 2 Dutch boys getting the crap beat out of them by a gang of minibus drivers in Phuket. And today we have a Swedish national, only 25, being murdered in broad daylight, and in plain sight, in Pattaya. Really good for the tourism image.

Someone needs to start collecting all these stories about Phuket & Pattaya and then email them to every travel agency they can find. Maybe then the agencies will actually start discouraging people from going there. This isn't 15-20 years ago when things like this could be covered up or kept quiet. Today things get emailed, Tweeted, Twittered and Facebooked, quick, fast and in a hurry! Maybe in a few years when these two places have actually become a "no travel zone" to tourists, and there's no more money to fleece, things will start to change. But I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime.

Yep ... right on the nail, Just1Voice. So, make that 2 voices

Geratrickid raises a most important point -- this is a developing story and all of the facts are not in yet. That said, please consider:

1. The loss of life is always a terrible thing, regardless if it's natural, accidental or criminal.

2. The sensed increase of the possibility of violent crime in Thailand, whether founded or not, is real. In five years of living here, I've heard a lot of talk about this among expats, which leads to the next point.

3. I have heard many times -- from expats, not Thais -- something like this: "Do you know how easy it is to get someone killed here?" Think about it: What kind of expat would go around saying that kind of thing in the first place? Probably one who contemplates such things: contract killings.

4. Expats who talk this kind of thing, whether seriously or out their <deleted>, should be punished and made examples of. It's no way to behave as a guest in a foreign country and it contributes to the tarnishing of this country's image.

5. It's easy to blame the police (BiB, as they're derisively called), but their only role is after the fact. What about before the fact, like behaving responsibly and not being part of this kind of thing in the first place. Preventing crime starts with not committing crime or associating with criminal elements.

Of the three elements of a homicide -- motive, means and opportunity -- it is probably the second (means) that is most troubling if foreigners are involved: The poverty of locals is being exploited to carry out dirty deeds, and that's a shame. I refer again to point no. 3 above, where farang talk of the ease of getting someone killed in Thailand. This attitude needs to stop and people even talking about it should be punished. In our home countries, merely talking about doing these kinds of things could be crimes.

It's not okay to kill someone, have someone killed, or blithely talk about how easy it can be done in Thailand. Treating this kind of talk so casually contributes to the ruin of this country's image, so the next time you hear it please consider the kind of company you're keeping.

There's nothing light about a killing -- or talking about arranging one. In the end, crimes on foreigners here will be greatly reduced by foreigners behaving themselves and conducting themselves properly.

Do you really expect that the atitiudes of a few foreigners will change Thai society? Are you really that naive? Let me relate to you a true incident.

When I first came to Thailand I met a lovely lady, working in a laundry to support her children. I convinced her to return home, look after her children while i supported them, with a view to later marriage. As soon as she returned home, her former de facto wanted her to live with him so that he could get the money I was sending her. As he was a local "heavy" her family was unable to assist.

I sought advice from a Thai living in Aus (my thai language teacher) - his first reaction was "it won't cost much to have him killed.' When I rejected this, his second response was "Go to the local police, give them B5,000, and they will sort it." What does "sort it" entail? Depending on the police prior interaction and attitude anything from a warn off, 20 years in prison for whatever crime fits, or a shot dead resisting arrest.

The kind of company that I was keeping was a university educated Thai national living abroad, who was giving me Thai lessons in exchange for help with colloquial English. So either this man was full of <deleted> talking about his own country, or it's some newbie TV poster. After many years here, guess who I'm backing?

wow ; viscious

wonder how / who he pissed off

Could have been anyone. These people are psychopaths.

lol that they are indeed but still a shame for the lad they could of slapped him about he was only a young lad waste of life hopefully they will catch the bad people and lock them away for a long time

The treaty between Sweden and Thailand says that you have to spend a third in Thai prison before you can be transfer to Sweden and serve the remaining time there. So these people, if convicted, are looking at probably 4-8 years in Thai prison before transfer to Sweden.

I agree that this thread has gone way to fare in pre-conclusions and spreading of ill intended options. There is freedom of speech and there is rude. We (most of us) know the bad and good about Thailand, but a generalisation is exactly that a generalisations, and to have opinion build from a single incident will not be a accurate description.

This forum has always been fun and educational for me to read, even due to some comment that I choose to skip, but this thread makes me a bit defensive of the Thai people. Sorry to be negative this time, in a forum that I have enjoyed a lot otherwise.

Edited by cjwik

<br />How does this happen in plain view of neighbors?   How does this happen in a supposedly guarded Luxury Villa?   How do 12 people go un-noticed?   He obviously annoyed someone too much, but seriously!  How, why, why, why.... It's mind boggling.  This illustrates just how helpful Thai's are not in these situations.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Geratrickid raises a most important point -- this is a developing story and all of the facts are not in yet. That said, please consider:

1. The loss of life is always a terrible thing, regardless if it's natural, accidental or criminal.

2. The sensed increase of the possibility of violent crime in Thailand, whether founded or not, is real. In five years of living here, I've heard a lot of talk about this among expats, which leads to the next point.

4. Expats who talk this kind of thing, whether seriously or out their &lt;deleted&gt;, should be punished and made examples of. It's no way to behave as a guest in a foreign country and it contributes to the tarnishing of this country's image.

5. It's easy to blame the police (BiB, as they're derisively called), but their only role is after the fact. What about before the fact, like behaving responsibly and not being part of this kind of thing in the first place. Preventing crime starts with not committing crime or associating with criminal elements.

Of the three elements of a homicide -- motive, means and opportunity -- it is probably the second (means) that is most troubling if foreigners are involved: The poverty of locals is being exploited to carry out dirty deeds, and that's a shame. I refer again to point no. 3 above, where farang talk of the ease of getting someone killed in Thailand. This attitude needs to stop and people even talking about it should be punished. In our home countries, merely talking about doing these kinds of things could be crimes.

It's not okay to kill someone, have someone killed, or blithely talk about how easy it can be done in Thailand. Treating this kind of talk so casually contributes to the ruin of this country's image, so the next time you hear it please consider the kind of company you're keeping.

There's nothing light about a killing -- or talking about arranging one. In the end, crimes on foreigners here will be greatly reduced by foreigners behaving themselves and conducting themselves properly.

Do you really expect that the atitiudes of a few foreigners will change Thai society? Are you really that naive? Let me relate to you a true incident.

When I first came to Thailand I met a lovely lady, working in a laundry to support her children. I convinced her to return home, look after her children while i supported them, with a view to later marriage. As soon as she returned home, her former de facto wanted her to live with him so that he could get the money I was sending her. As he was a local "heavy" her family was unable to assist.

I sought advice from a Thai living in Aus (my thai language teacher) - his first reaction was "it won't cost much to have him killed.' When I rejected this, his second response was "Go to the local police, give them B5,000, and they will sort it." What does "sort it" entail? Depending on the police prior interaction and attitude anything from a warn off, 20 years in prison for whatever crime fits, or a shot dead resisting arrest.

The kind of company that I was keeping was a university educated Thai national living abroad, who was giving me Thai lessons in exchange for help with colloquial English. So either this man was full of &lt;deleted&gt; talking about his own country, or it's some newbie TV poster. After many years here, guess who I'm backing?

Dear Mr. OzMick,

I appreciate your comments and I readily admit curing this problem is much, much easier said than done. I realize it runs deep and cuts many ways. It's just that in five years of living here I've become disgusted by these sorts of things. Yes, I am naive -- in the sense that I am hopeful good farang will take a stand. You seem like a nice, well-intentioned chap who wants to do right by others -- I respect and applaud that.

As a farang who respects Thailand and its people -- I have never had the first problem with a local -- I want to do what I can to help rid this country of foreigners here who are up to no good. Will it solve the problem? Not entirely, but it will go a long way in setting a tone that is long overdue among expats. We are guests here, and we should grin and bear those things we don't like, and at the same time we should never capitulate to lawlessness. Back home, many of our countrymen snicker when we say we live in Thailand -- they assume we're up to no good. Expats living in Japan, for example, doubtfully get that sort of response. There are those of us here who are honest and not out to start any problems. Why should we suffer for bad foreigners who involve themselves in bad things?

How could anyone treat talk of killing another human being as par for the course or somehow okay? That's all I'm trying to get at.

Thanks,

JC

No doubt some are mentally ill and/or have homicidal tendencies, but that far from being the rule. A high % of service industry(tuk tuk, touts, taxi drivers, scammers) are attracted to and present in tourist areas, where non coincidentally foreigners live.

Every society has crazies. Normally, a foreigner does not live in low end areas in his own country, for good reason, safety.

In my experience as a moderately conversational capable person, a decent % of tuk tuk, taxi, motorcycle drivers have alcohol issues. May have drug issues also. May have both.

Even in Patong, the great majority of employees within Jung Ceylon Mall are nothing like the low life counterparts. Bangla/Patong certainly has criminal elements just like areas in USA with street hookers would/does.

A very high % are so shy they try to avoid direct eye contact with each other. Some appear to even be afraid of their own shadows. As infamous as are the corrupt police, the degree of non-confrontation is equally legendary. When you add alcohol/drugs, all bets are off.

Bangla road simply does not usually attract highly educated/intelligent nationals.

The best thing is to simply accept the way things are. If thai society were like Japan society, the prices would also be much higher. Yes, I know about cheating and corruption being a normal part of much of society.

Perhaps the most difficult thing to accept is that it is not the most advanced society in the world (sarcasm) Once you accept and go beyond, life gets much better. Also do realize that mainstream thai people are not interested in living in places like patong, pattaya, etc, therefore the expat community becomes the main social network. Believe me there actually do exist great thai people albeit often they lived/studied abroad or have high level parents, though not all.

Wow.

I don't know where to begin...OK, we'll do the beginning and the end...

What do service industry(tuk tuk, touts, taxi drivers have to do with this thread?

And the "great Thai people" often have lived/studied abroad or have high level parents?

Wow.

My comments are in response to those other posters on this thread have made.

Perhaps if you use some of your intellectual prowess you can find them.

The fellow who was killed was a Swede who has figured into some sleazy activities in Sweden, such as sending out fake invoices and other shady businesses. I imagine it was a question of time before his illegit activities caught up with him.

"The fellow who was killed was a Swede who has figured into some sleazy activities in Sweden, such as sending out fake invoices and other shady businesses."

Is this conjecture, or verifiable fact? If it is fact, or you have paraphrased from another article, it would be both proper and helpful to cite the source.

4. Expats who talk this kind of thing, whether seriously or out their &lt;deleted&gt;, should be punished and made examples of. It's no way to behave as a guest in a foreign country and it contributes to the tarnishing of this country's image.

The kind of company that I was keeping was a university educated Thai national living abroad, who was giving me Thai lessons in exchange for help with colloquial English. So either this man was full of &lt;deleted&gt; talking about his own country, or it's some newbie TV poster. After many years here, guess who I'm backing?

Dear Mr. OzMick,

I appreciate your comments and I readily admit curing this problem is much, much easier said than done. I realize it runs deep and cuts many ways. It's just that in five years of living here I've become disgusted by these sorts of things. Yes, I am naive -- in the sense that I am hopeful good farang will take a stand. You seem like a nice, well-intentioned chap who wants to do right by others -- I respect and applaud that.

As a farang who respects Thailand and its people -- I have never had the first problem with a local -- I want to do what I can to help rid this country of foreigners here who are up to no good. Will it solve the problem? Not entirely, but it will go a long way in setting a tone that is long overdue among expats. We are guests here, and we should grin and bear those things we don't like, and at the same time we should never capitulate to lawlessness. Back home, many of our countrymen snicker when we say we live in Thailand -- they assume we're up to no good. Expats living in Japan, for example, doubtfully get that sort of response. There are those of us here who are honest and not out to start any problems. Why should we suffer for bad foreigners who involve themselves in bad things?

How could anyone treat talk of killing another human being as par for the course or somehow okay? That's all I'm trying to get at.

Thanks,

JC

Dear Mr OzMick,

Allow me to add a few more points to consider:

1. I am not talking about how Thais (here or abroad) talk about their own country. I'm talking about how farang here talk about their host country. I believe there's a difference, and a foreign guest has heaps of gall to think they're above anything here -- including the life of another. What is indigenous to Thais are things we cannot quarrel with, whether we find them endearing or abhorrent. What I am getting at is encouraging farangs to behave better and expect better of other expats and leave things Thai to the locals.

2. I am also trying to help eradicate stereotypes, like that foreigners living in Thailand are bad. It's as bad as the same kind of simplistic thinking that says all Americans are dumb, that all Aussies are born criminals, that all South Africans are bigots and that all Englishmen are humorless. None of these premises are fair, are they? And aren't they best overcome by raised awareness, proactivity and vigilance?

3. The good of Thailand far outweighs the bad and it is unfortunate that these stereotypes persist. The events in Phuket last night don't much help. What amazes me is how fast farang posters on TV were to blame locals. It's almost as if it's assumed. In the end, farangs are at the root of most farang problems here.

Okay, I'm naive. I'm also hopeful that most farang here resent these kinds of stereotypes, as well they should.

G'day, mate!

JC

Well, what can I say. I always know that Thai are the beasts. This case just proved again it's good idea to left this country.

I would take safe precautions to live in Thailand and Thai man are very jealous and don't care what happen after.Unfortunately they are beasts and not all,but big number show Jealous towards Farangs.12 man went out there to kill this guy

and done it.Whatever this Swedish guy did,he not deserve do die like that

Well, what can I say. I always know that Thai are the beasts. This case just proved again it's good idea to left this country.

I would take safe precautions to live in Thailand and Thai man are very jealous and don't care what happen after.Unfortunately they are beasts and not all,but big number show Jealous towards Farangs.12 man went out there to kill this guy

How far into the tread have your read? I’d guess no that many posts, as you think that there is 12 Thai men that killed the swede…

How far into the tread have your read? I'd guess no that many posts, as you think that there is 12 Thai men that killed the swede…

I realize that we have update on this post and apologize for misunderstanding

How far into the tread have your read? I'd guess no that many posts, as you think that there is 12 Thai men that killed the swede…

I realize that we have update on this post and apologize for misunderstanding

Sorry for being a bit harsh in my reply. But on this now 12 page long thread, there have been quite a few posters, that seem to have responded after just reading a few initial posts.

There's also been a few request of making a new topic out of this incident. As the initial indication of what happened is way of the mark.