12 Red Shirts Jailed Over Town Hall Burning, 9 Freed

webfact

12 red shirts jailed over town hall burning, 9 freed

By The Nation

UBON RATCHATHANI

The Provincial Court yesterday sentenced four red shirts to 33 years and four months' jail each, while eight others were given terms ranging from one to three years for their involvement in the arson of Ubon Ratchathani City Hall during rioting on May 19 last year.

Nine other red shirts were acquitted on grounds the evidence presented was insufficient to convict them.

Some 200 redshirt supporters camped outside the court to hear the verdict and gave moral support to their 21 fellow red shirts on trial.

Pattama Mulmil, Theerawat Sajjasuwan, Sanong Ketsuwan and Somsak Prasansap were initially given life sentences, but the court reduced the terms to 33 years and four months for each on the ground their confessions were useful to the case.

Pradit Boonsuk, Likhit Sutthipan, Chaiya Deesaeng, Pisit Butamkha were initially given threeyear jail terms, then reduced to two years' imprisonment, while Ubon Saenthaweesuk, Supoj Doungngam, and Onanong Banpachat received a oneyear jail sentence reduced to an eightmonth term.

As for Pichet Thabuddha, a leading red shirt accused of terrorism by the Department of Special Investigation, the court ruled his action was not within the frame of terrorism but he was guilty of calling people to gather and commit the offences - clearly convincing evidence that he incited people to burn the city hall down. The court acquitted Pichet of the terrorism charge but sentenced him to a oneyear jail term for violating the emergency law.

Another nine red shirts were acquitted as prosecutors could only present pictures of them joining the protest but had no other evidence to show they damaged property or committed arson as charged.

After the verdict reading, all defendants were taken to the Ubon Ratchathani Prison, where 12 red shirts would be released later in the evening - the nine who were acquitted and three others who had served their time.

Lawyer Wattana Chansingha said the Pheu Thai Party MPs would today apply for bail releases of the red shirts pending appeal.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-25

Good to see that the people guilty of torching state property go to jail ... should have been done a lot earlier though.

Should have made them MPs, immunity for one .. immunity for all... who incited them to burn down town halls...etc..

Red Shirt Urban Renewal Program:

Thirty-three years in prison.

Hope they feel serving the billionaire was worth it.

Yeah Such devotion to their lord and master, fair brings tear,s to ones eyes doe's it not , of course they may well be acquitted and given hefty recompense after the appeal and re trial ,I mean lets have it right mugs like these deserve it don't they!!!.

Good to see that the people guilty of torching state property go to jail ... should have been done a lot earlier though.

Unfortunately it does often take a few, or even several, years for cases to proceed through the courts here. That's just something farangs have to get used to. It can similarly take seemingly-forever for serious-frauds to be prosecuted in the UK.

IMO the sentences of 33 years do seem unusually harsh though, perhaps they will be reduced, on appeal ?

Unfortunately it does often take a few, or even several, years for cases to proceed through the courts here. That's just something farangs have to get used to. It can similarly take seemingly-forever for serious-frauds to be prosecuted in the UK.

IMO the sentences of 33 years do seem unusually harsh though, perhaps they will be reduced, on appeal ?

Yes you are right, actually most Courts here have a long waiting list, that is the reason many cases will be settled out of Court through counseling if at all possible , however it would have been nice to see, like recently in Britain, that the Courts move in swiftly in such cases, but maybe the paperwork simply takes so much time...Anyway nice to see that it came to a conclusion and lives can move on from there..

IMHO If and when those facing stiff sentences get bail they will be given money and will just disappear into the woodwork !!!.

When you compare this with the Pojeman Tax case, one could almost come to the conclusion that there is one set of laws for the rich and other for the poor. Which, of course couldn't be the case. :whistling:

:rolleyes:

There is a difference between arson and being acquitted in a tax evasion case.

When you compare this with the Pojeman Tax case, one could almost come to the conclusion that there is one set of laws for the rich and other for the poor. Which, of course couldn't be the case. :whistling:

Her brother Bannapot wasn't acquitted. He was fined $3000 for evading $18 million in taxes.

Edited by DP25
  • Like 1

What? Two different cases. Two different results!!

Well, I never !!

Red shirt supporters should remember that when comparing the PPP and Democrats disbanding cases.

Yes, the arson involved a lesser amount of money.

Thai Red Shirts angry at 34-year jail terms

BANGKOK, August 25, 2011 (AFP) - A Thai court jailed four "Red Shirt" protesters for 34 years each for their involvement in last year's political unrest -- a punishment criticised by the movement on Thursday as too severe.

They were among 21 Red Shirt supporters charged with trespassing, arson, breaking security laws and terrorism over an attack on a provincial hall in Ubon Ratchathani in northeast Thailand in May 2010.

"Four were found guilty and sentenced to life in prison, but as they cooperated the court commuted the sentence to 34 years," an official at the Ubon Ratchathani provincial court told AFP after Wednesday's ruling.

Nine other defendants were acquitted due to a lack of evidence while the rest were handed prison sentences ranging from eight months to two years.

"I respect the ruling but in my opinion I think the punishment is too harsh," said Red Shirt chairwoman Thida Thavornsert, saying that the accused were motivated by a desire for political change.

"We will appeal," she added.

The Red Shirts, who are broadly loyal to ousted fugitive premier Thaksin Shinawatra, held two months of protests in Bangkok last year that sparked a military crackdown which left more than 90 people dead, mostly civilians.

The violence also spread outside the capital, mostly to the Red Shirts' stronghold in the northeast, including Ubon Ratchathani.

The Red Shirts were campaigning for early elections, accusing the then-government of being an unelected elite, because it came to power after a court ruling ousted allies of their hero Thaksin.

Thaksin's sister Yingluck Shinawatra is now prime minister after his party staged a comeback with a major victory in a general election last month.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-08-25

Thai Red Shirts angry at 34-year jail terms

BANGKOK, August 25, 2011 (AFP) - A Thai court jailed four "Red Shirt" protesters for 34 years each for their involvement in last year's political unrest -- a punishment criticised by the movement on Thursday as too severe.

A sure-fire method of avoiding the anger resulting from lengthy prison sentences: DBCHDTTG

Don't Burn City Hall Down To The Ground

They were only following explicit instructions from a member of parliament :crazy: !

: "If you seize power from us, then we'll burn the whole country down. Burn it, burn everything, my brothers — Guarantee: Bangkok will turn into a sea of flames. Those of you who live in the country, it's OK if you cannot join us. If anything happens, just gather at your provincial or city halls. No need to wait for the order. Burn your city halls down to the ground."

"I respect the ruling but in my opinion I think the punishment is too harsh," said Red Shirt chairwoman Thida Thavornsert, saying that the accused were motivated by a desire for political change.

"We will appeal," she added.

So 'motivated by a desire for political change' makes it a minor offence which should result in a few years jail at the most? Maybe even only a warning and suspended sentence for first-time offenders? What's next, 'throwing grenades motivated by a desire for political change'?

So 'motivated by a desire for political change' makes it a minor offence which should result in a few years jail at the most? Maybe even only a warning and suspended sentence for first-time offenders? What's next, 'throwing grenades motivated by a desire for political change'?

I only killed him because i want political change!

I only smoked that joint because i want political change!!

I only drove my car drunk because i want political change!!!

I only evaded my taxes because i want political change!!!!

"They were among 21 Red Shirt supporters charged with trespassing, arson, breaking security laws and terrorism over an attack on a provincial hall in Ubon Ratchathani in northeast Thailand in May 2010."

Which bit were they found guilty of?

Did all the combined charges add up to 30+ years, or was it one individual charge? Were they actually convicted of terrorism??

30+ years seems a little steep, but it does act as a strong deterrent for burning down govt property.

The violence also spread outside the capital, mostly to the Red Shirts' stronghold in the northeast, including Ubon Ratchathani.

Actually Ubon Ratchathani elected 3 Democrats, and PTP overall in the province got well under 50% of the vote. Neighboring province of Amnat Charoen Dems even got more votes province wide.

A few more need to be jailed, it seems:

Red shirts attack 2 men in front of Parliament

Red-shirt demonstrators attacked two men in front of Parliament Thursday after the men laid a black wreath to protest against Parliament President Somsak Kiartusranon.

The two men arrived in a taxi at 12:10 pm and they carried with them a black wreath with words of "To Parliament President Somsak Kiartsuranon, who sits in the heart of Thaksin".

When the two men walked to lay the wreath in front of Parliament, red-shirt people, who demonstrated there in support of the government, alerted their guards.

The guards captured the two men and were seen hitting them with a roll of hard paper.

Later on, some red-shirt people led the two men away.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-25

Yay for Red Democracy.

A few more need to be jailed, it seems:

Red shirts attack 2 men in front of Parliament

Red-shirt demonstrators attacked two men in front of Parliament Thursday after the men laid a black wreath to protest against Parliament President Somsak Kiartusranon.

The two men arrived in a taxi at 12:10 pm and they carried with them a black wreath with words of "To Parliament President Somsak Kiartsuranon, who sits in the heart of Thaksin".

When the two men walked to lay the wreath in front of Parliament, red-shirt people, who demonstrated there in support of the government, alerted their guards.

The guards captured the two men and were seen hitting them with a roll of hard paper.

Later on, some red-shirt people led the two men away.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-25

Yay for Red Democracy.

Reminds of the story with the paper bullets.

IMHO If and when those facing stiff sentences get bail they will be given money and will just disappear into the woodwork !!!.

not that there's any connection between Red Shirts and the Pheu Thai Party... but,

Red-shirt lawyer Kharom Phonthaklang said the Pheu Thai Party's MPs are set to appeal the verdict on the case of the arson attack on Ubon Ratchathani Provincial Hall, to seek temporary bail for red-shirt people who were recently sentenced to serve jail time.

He said Pheu Thai MPs will use their MP status and cash to help convicted red-shirt members with the appeal

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1047144