Chief Thai Govt Spokes-Woman: We Are Working For The Public Interest

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

'I want our opponents to see that we're working for the public interest'

Chief government spokes-woman Thitima Chaisang tells Piyanart Srivalo about her vision for her post, to which she was appointed by the Cabinet last Thursday.

Have you felt any stress on accepting the post?

Yes I have, because I see this job as significant. Previously, we did not think of it as a big responsibility - just a job where you simply read Cabinet resolutions.

I believe that we have to work proactively, which does not mean to counter-attack, but to project a good image for the government and make the public understand the government's work and achievements.

For example, we have to explain to the public why we need to come up with such and such a Cabinet resolution, and what it's linked to. And the challenge is to do that in few words. Since our team is still new to the job, it's also hard to think of how to present press conferences with catchwords that capture the public's attention.

How are you shaping up your spokesman's team?

Anuttama [Amornwiwat] has been assigned deputy spokesman in charge of economic news because she graduated in this field. Anusorn [iamsa-ard] oversees political, security and social news. Chalitrat [Chandrubeksar] from the Chart Thai Pattana Puea Pandin Party will help Anusorn with this responsibility.

The fact is that the government has political rivals and opponents. Do you see this as an obstacle to doing public-relations work?

I see it as natural or normal because anti-government groups or opponents always disagree with whatever you say. You say something correctly and they still think we are wrong. No matter how much you explain, they are not with us. We just do our duty and let them be. It's useless to try to convince them. It is not possible to see eye-to-eye. We must let them go.

Don't you think that you're capable of changing their attitude?

I want opponents to think that we perform our jobs for the public interest. They must adjust for the country's sake. I don't know if reaching out to them will work. We may be repelled and lose face. But actually I'm ready to talk to everyone. People change their political colours such as from yellow to red because they understand the situation. I hope we'll all work to move the country forward.

What do you think about having to deal with the issues involving the red shirts? Anusorn has already been hassled.

I see it as normal. As soon as Prime Minister Yingluck [shinawatra] entered politics, she was attacked. Now the public has come to accept her style. Actually, Anusorn's strength is his soft approach. He can get along with anyone and he's intelligent. I believe he's an asset to our team. We want him to help counter our critics by using his soft approach and not a hard-core style. We don't want him to act "hard-core". Anusorn will be criticised in the beginning, but later it will be okay.

We have to be fair. If critics are not fair, we must counter them vigorously, as if giving them a lesson. We cannot go soft. I'm an outspoken person, and this may escalate.

When I first learned that I had been given this post, I was scared. Actually, outside Parliament I'm easygoing, but sincere. Some people may think that I'm inaccessible and fierce.

Is this the reason the PM appointed you to this post?

I think it's because she saw my performance in Parliament. I talked sense, not nonsense. No one who sits in this chair can afford to look bad, because that person represents the government. But I'm worried that I may be too harsh. I have to change.

Another thing is, I was given this job because I was a failed MP.

How do you want people to think of you as a spokesperson?

As I said, I see the post as a challenge. I thought - will I deliver? Am I capable? I see this job as a superb job and it is an honour for my family. I see the job as a big responsibility. I have to speak well and speak sensibly. I must represent the government.

I first must change the way I dress. I liked to wear a suit with trousers as an MP. Since I've become government spokesman I have to change my look. I have to wear a skirt or a Thai dress. So you will see my new look.

The PM is a woman, the PM's Office minister is a woman and the government spokesman is a woman. How do you think this will affect the image of the government?

It's just a coincidence. I happened to fail to win an MP seat. Being a woman, it's easier to work closely with the PM. I believe we can use our femininity to our advantage in working in terms of using a soft approach.

Women are more sensitive and more competent in managerial jobs. We also get along with every group more easily. It's a good chance for women to be at the forefront working for society. This will make the public see the value in women even more than before.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-29

Another one that didn't actually answer the questions put to her. "How do you want people to think of you as spokesperson?"...... "I must change the way I dress", and referring to her previous response, she had only just stated "I talked sense, not nonsense".

We've got "a right bunch" here. Enjoy the show, guys, the circus has come to town.

"We are not listening to the oppostion or other critics. Because we know they won't change their minds so there is no point talking to them."

Amazing uttering. She is saying that the government is infaluable and cannot be wrong and therefore does not have to listen to anyone.

I quote Albert Einstein on this: "I know only two things that are infinite. The universe and human stupidity. And I am not sure about the universe."

"We are not listening to the oppostion or other critics. Because we know they won't change their minds so there is no point talking to them."

Amazing uttering. She is saying that the government is infaluable and cannot be wrong and therefore does not have to listen to anyone.

I quote Albert Einstein on this: "I know only two things that are infinite. The universe and human stupidity. And I am not sure about the universe."

Tanaka - not sure what you are quoting at the start of your message - I didn't read that in the text.

But I did read this :

But actually I'm ready to talk to everyone. People change their political colours such as from yellow to red because they understand the situation. I hope we'll all work to move the country forward.

Which sounds pretty reasonable.

Reasonable? She has stating she won't LISTEN to the opposition but will TALK to them to try to "convert" them. One way. That's not compromise or communication; that reflects a DICTATORIAL style which makes senses considering who is at the TOP.

Reasonable? She has stating she won't LISTEN to the opposition but will TALK to them to try to "convert" them. One way. That's not compromise or communication; that reflects a DICTATORIAL style which makes senses considering who is at the TOP.

blah, blah, blah...

blah, blah, blah...

I reckon I won that one ...

blah, blah, blah...

As soon as you received that response.

blah, blah, blah...

well, if there is something to win... maybe I'm missing out on the TVF yellow-shirt bonus system.

If you want to understand what was written in the article the way that you stated, then that is your choice. As you have adequate intelligence to operate a computer, and a more than adequate understanding of the English language, then you apparently are purposefully misunderstanding the common usage of the English language so as to not disturb your own predefined view of the world.

The short version of that is "blah, blah, blah"

Most people who oppose the red shirt/Thaksin agenda are by no stretch of the imagination -- yellow shirts. That's just the classic tactic to demonize those who legitimately criticize Thaksin.

What you did was use a selective snippet to support your point, but when the entire context of the official's statement is read, it is clear that actually compromising with the opposition or even just LISTENING to their points is not in the Thaksin/Yingluck's government's agenda. (Kind of reminds me of the nihilist tea party now in America.)

Edited by Jingthing