Skinny Tires On Scooters - Why?

Kinnock

I've seen a few posts discussiong why Thai riders fit skinny, bicycle-style tyres on their Fino's and Nouvo's. Suggested reasons include increasing wet grip or gas mileage. Well after extensive research I can reveal the real answer:

Like most automotive fashions it has it's roots in racing, but also like many things associated with men, it's really driven by the quest for more sex.

The racing influence is Thai street racing - the illegal night street races that happen on quiet sections fn the Bangna Trad Highway and other outer city locations.

If you only have 150cc to play with, then rear wheel traction is never going to be a limiting factor in a drag race, so the fat drag-bike tires that influence the look of a Harley are just going to slow you down with increased weight and friction.

But skinny tires pumped to 100 psi will help by reducing weight, friction and drag.

And the sex factorr? Well one essential accesory for any Thai street racer is a 'Sa-koi'.

A Sa-koi is a pretty girl dressed in a tight T and even tighter micro-shorts and perched on the pillion. The budding racers arrive with one Sa-koi as the 'entry fee', and if you win your race, you win a night with the losers Sa-koi.

Understandably, young wanne-be 'Dec-wen' will copy the style of the street racers ..... narrow rims, aftermarket pipe, drilled transmission covers, in the hope of attracting their own Sa-koi.

Good luck to them!

One of the reasons i prefer a big bike, the walls of the tires are so thick that they keep there shape even with no pressure at all.

If i get a flat front tire on a small bike, -i'm going down, hard.

If i get puncture on a big bike, -i won't even notice.

To my knowledge, and unfortunately, neither tires ever brought me pretty girl dressed in a tight T and even tighter micro-shorts

Edited by poanoi

One of the reasons i prefer a big bike, the walls of the tires are so thick that they keep there shape even with no pressure at all.

If i get a flat front tire on a small bike, -i'm going down, hard.

If i get puncture on a big bike, -i won't even notice.

To my knowledge, and unfortunately, neither tires ever brought me pretty girl dressed in a tight T and even tighter micro-shorts

Perhaps because your tires are too fat?

bicycle tires might be cheaper but ive seen brand new latest model yamaha and honda scooters going straight to the modification shop on soi 3 to get 17 or 18" "gold" bicycle rims and tyres ,performance exhausts ,racing stickers and neon flashing indicator and brake lights fitted ,

new handle bar grips and neon green brake levers ,shiny coloured metal pegs for the passenger footrests and god knows what else

i dont think cost is much of a factor when it comes to fashion or coolness for a lot of the young bkk crowd

thanks kinnok for the interesting facts. I do also think they are using smaller tire to be more fast, flexible and to get zippy through the traffic.

Did you ever notice when driving behind such; like 80% of their rear wheel is running unequal/ off-center. SAFETY FIRST jap.gif

thanks kinnok for the interesting facts. I do also think they are using smaller tire to be more fast, flexible and to get zippy through the traffic.

Did you ever notice when driving behind such; like 80% of their rear wheel is running unequal/ off-center. SAFETY FIRST jap.gif

probably buckled by a pothole ,theres probably a good reason bicycle wheels dont come as standard on vehicles that can do nearly 150kmph :rolleyes:

I will now in a feeble attempt to attract the other gender (real females that is) fit some bicycle tires on my Ninja... That should do it huh???

Wonder if I shuold bother to photoshop that first, just to get a real perspective on the view...

Not sure if you can find bicycle wheels to hold that much weight... :cheesy:

I will now in a feeble attempt to attract the other gender (real females that is) fit some bicycle tires on my Ninja... That should do it huh???

Wonder if I shuold bother to photoshop that first, just to get a real perspective on the view...

Go for it! And please post a photo!

Don't forget the purple running lights and Hello Kitty top box.

It's a good look .... trust me.

A Sa-koi is a pretty girl dressed in a tight T and even tighter micro-shorts and perched on the pillion. The budding racers arrive with one Sa-koi as the 'entry fee', and if you win your race, you win a night with the losers Sa-koi.

I can't find any Thai that has a clue what this word is, do you know the Thai script?

I can't find any Thai that has a clue what this word is, do you know the Thai script?

I asked in the office and got a laugh from the team ... they all knew about the girls on the bikes ... one admitted to being a sa-koi when she was younger!. I think it's pronounced 'skoi'.

<br /><i>A Sa-koi is a pretty girl dressed in a tight T and even tighter  micro-shorts and perched on the pillion.  The budding racers arrive with  one Sa-koi as the 'entry fee', and if you win your race, you win a  night with the losers Sa-koi.<br /><br /></i>I can't find any Thai that has a clue what this word is, do you know the Thai script?<br />

dek wen - เด็กแว๊น

skuay - สก๊อย

From Thai Wikipedia:

สก๊อย

จากวิกิพีเดีย สารานุกรมเสรี สก๊อย หรือ เลดี้แซป คือวัยรุ่นหญิงที่มักนั่งท้ายมอเตอร์ไซค์ของเด็กแว้น มักใส่เสื้อยืดรัดติ้ว หรือไม่ก็สายเดี่ยว เสื้อกล้าม เกาะอก ชอบใส่กางเกงขาสั้นเอวต่ำ มักผัดหน้าให้ขาววอก และจะผูกผมเป็น 2 ข้าง ส่วนริมฝีปากจะแดงระเรื่อ เครื่องประดับชิ้นสำคัญ คือ หวี และการใช้โทรศัพท์มือถือและ น้ำยาอุทัยทิพย์ที่ใช้ทาปากให้แดงอยู่เสมอ ส่วนใหญ่บริเวณน่องขาของสก๊อยมักมีรอยท่อไอเสียดาด และรอยแผลเป็นประปรายตามแข้งขาเนื่องจากอุบัติเหตุ

คำว่าสก๊อย นั้นมีที่มาจาก "สก๊อยจัง" (Skoichun) ซึ่งเป็นตัวละครที่ออกแบบขึ้นเพื่อฉลองครบรอบ 7 ปีของมอนสเตอร์คลับ เพื่อไว้คู่กับแซ๊บคุง ซึ่งทั้ง สก๊อยจัง และ แซปคุง ต่างเป็นเนื้อคู่ตุนาหงันกัน (โดยคนเขียนเรื่อง Sea-cret Agent Joe)

ราชบัณฑิตยสถานได้จัดพิมพ์ "พจนานุกรมคำใหม่ เล่ม 1" มี ศ.กาญจนา นาคสกุล เป็นประธานจัดทำ ในพจนานุกรมนี้ ให้นิยาม "เด็กสก๊อย" ว่า "วัยรุ่นผู้หญิงที่ซ้อนท้ายมอเตอร์ไซค์ของเด็กแว้นในลักษณะกอดรัด มักนุ่งกางเกงยีนส์ขาสั้นมาก ๆ "

[แก้] อ้างอิง

From Thai Wikipedia:

สก๊อย

จากวิกิพีเดีย สารานุกรมเสรี สก๊อย หรือ เลดี้แซป คือวัยรุ่นหญิงที่มักนั่งท้ายมอเตอร์ไซค์ของเด็กแว้น มักใส่เสื้อยืดรัดติ้ว หรือไม่ก็สายเดี่ยว เสื้อกล้าม เกาะอก ชอบใส่กางเกงขาสั้นเอวต่ำ มักผัดหน้าให้ขาววอก และจะผูกผมเป็น 2 ข้าง ส่วนริมฝีปากจะแดงระเรื่อ เครื่องประดับชิ้นสำคัญ คือ หวี และการใช้โทรศัพท์มือถือและ น้ำยาอุทัยทิพย์ที่ใช้ทาปากให้แดงอยู่เสมอ ส่วนใหญ่บริเวณน่องขาของสก๊อยมักมีรอยท่อไอเสียดาด และรอยแผลเป็นประปรายตามแข้งขาเนื่องจากอุบัติเหตุ

คำว่าสก๊อย นั้นมีที่มาจาก "สก๊อยจัง" (Skoichun) ซึ่งเป็นตัวละครที่ออกแบบขึ้นเพื่อฉลองครบรอบ 7 ปีของมอนสเตอร์คลับ เพื่อไว้คู่กับแซ๊บคุง ซึ่งทั้ง สก๊อยจัง และ แซปคุง ต่างเป็นเนื้อคู่ตุนาหงันกัน (โดยคนเขียนเรื่อง Sea-cret Agent Joe)

ราชบัณฑิตยสถานได้จัดพิมพ์ "พจนานุกรมคำใหม่ เล่ม 1" มี ศ.กาญจนา นาคสกุล เป็นประธานจัดทำ ในพจนานุกรมนี้ ให้นิยาม "เด็กสก๊อย" ว่า "วัยรุ่นผู้หญิงที่ซ้อนท้ายมอเตอร์ไซค์ของเด็กแว้นในลักษณะกอดรัด มักนุ่งกางเกงยีนส์ขาสั้นมาก ๆ "

[แก้] อ้างอิง

VERY rough translation/summary ....

This is a young lady who often ride the motorcycles. Usually wearing t-shirt or dress shorts, low waist.

© This word is derived from the "God of love" (Skoichun),