Bangkok Santika Pub Fire Verdict Today

webfact

Santika pub fire

By The Nation

The verdict in the Santika pub fire trial will be read out at the Criminal Court today.

The worst nightclub fire in Thailand killed 67 people and wounded 103 two years ago.

Senior prosecutor Ruecha Krairuek said 40 relatives of the victims acted as co-complainants, and all seven defendants pleaded not guilty before the testimonies of 50 state witnesses began and were completed on August 21.

Among the many charges, the heaviest facing all the seven defendants is manslaughter, which carries a maximum 10-year prison term and/or fine of Bt20,000, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-20

Santika Club Owner Meets Police; Prepares To Compensate Victims

Thai Court Merges Cases To Speed Up Santika Pub Trial

Not even 500 quid james, that's only 400 quid at the moment.

Anyway lets all sit tight and wait for another whitewash on the land of smiles, those that 'have' will walk away from this, those that 'have not' will be stitched up as always.

same shit, different day

I have never really understood these strange penalty structures here. How does 10 years imprisonment for manslaughter possibly weigh against 20,000 Baht maximum fine for the same crime? It's just insane.

Oh, I know, there is of course a reason behind this: a bigwig (a.k.a. 'influential person') usually gets away with a 20,000 Baht fine for manslaughter, while a nobody must languist 10 years in jail.

Court sentences Santika Club exec Wisuth Setsawat, owner of firm providing special effects to New Year's party, to 3 years jail for role in blaze disaster /Mcot

Court hands down 3-yr jail term for Santika pub owner,owner of special effect company and orders them to compensate victims in 2009 NY blaze /TAN_Network

Owner of Santika Pub Sentenced 3-Year Jail Term

The Criminal Court has sentenced the owner of the Santika Pub and the owner of a special effects company to three years in jail each. Both were found to have been negligent and responsible for a fire that broke out on New Year's Eve 2009 after fireworks were used indoors in the New Year celebration.

66 party goers were killed in the blaze.

The two were also ordered by the court to pay more than nine million baht in compensation to the families of the victims.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-09-20

footer_n.gif

I have never really understood these strange penalty structures here. How does 10 years imprisonment for manslaughter possibly weigh against 20,000 Baht maximum fine for the same crime? It's just insane.

Oh, I know, there is of course a reason behind this: a bigwig (a.k.a. 'influential person') usually gets away with a 20,000 Baht fine for manslaughter, while a nobody must languist 10 years in jail.

My understanding (and I may be wrong), is that in Thailand fine amounts are specified in the law at the time of writing it, so taking this example of manslaughter carrying 10 years and/or 20.000 Baht fine, perhaps way back when the law was written 20K was a much more substantial amount.

Other countries (I suppose, mine does) use a adjustable index unit for such things, with rises according to inflation, so instead of say 20.000 Baht it would be 20 AIUs so that the fine rises with inflation and so it remains as punitive as in the time it was written into law.

Isn't the owner down as the car park attendant, or am I wrong, I recall the car park attendant was down as some form of owner.

Ok so the owner has been dealt with, and the special effects guy, what about the negligence now from all shareholders, the police that allowed it to open, the fraud in gaining the licence etc etc etc