Explorer 9 Problem

Ken

I just installed Explorer 9 on Windows 7 Home Premium desktop (legitmate version). As soon as I open explorer the CPU usage jumps to 100 percent and will never open the page. So far I have done the following:

Safe mode with networking. Works ok and opens.

Run malwarebytes: scan, no problem found

Run config and turn off all start ups: Still 100 percent usage and won't open.

Disable all add ons: Still 100 percent usage.

Google Chrome and Firefox browser: No problem and opens pages.

Remove explorer 9 and revert back to explorer 8: No problem and opens pages.

I also have a notebook running Windows 7 home premium and explorer 9. No problem.

Any thoughts?

You can open the Task Manager when this happens and look to see what process is using the CPU.

You also need to be sure IE9 is allowed in your security programs.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

You can open the Task Manager when this happens and look to see what process is using the CPU.

You also need to be sure IE9 is allowed in your security programs.

MSPain

Task manager says the big usage is iexplore.

Only "security" I use is Windows firewall and Avira antivirus (free). I did try disabling Avira, but did not help.

Try disabling add-ons in IE9. This includes accelerators and toolbars.

If that doesn't reduce CPU usage, turn off hardware acceleration (this may seem a bit odd, but just do it). If you have an Intel HD Graphics adapter, read this blog.

Make sure you're not running IE9 64-bit.

I use IE9 64-bit everyday with now problems. For me it seems faster than the 32-bit.

MSPain

If that doesn't reduce CPU usage, turn off hardware acceleration (this may seem a bit odd, but just do it). If you have an Intel HD Graphics adapter, read this blog.

OK. I had already tried disabling all add ons but still had problem.

However.....turning off hardware acceleration, the web pages now load fine. I guess my grahics on the motherboard is "obsolete". Oh well.

Thanks for the help, I certainly wouldn't have thought of trying that and googling the problem wasn't coming up with that possible solution either.

I had been thinking about wiping out everything and starting from scratch (reload Windows). Obviously that wouldn't have helped. :lol:

Great that Supernova helped you get it fixed.

Here is a W7 forum with some graphics/driver/directX ideas http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/150770-cannot-enable-hardware-acceleration-ie9.html

MPSpain

However.....turning off hardware acceleration, the web pages now load fine. I guess my grahics on the motherboard is "obsolete". Oh well.

Thanks for the help, I certainly wouldn't have thought of trying that and googling the problem wasn't coming up with that possible solution either.

I had been thinking about wiping out everything and starting from scratch (reload Windows). Obviously that wouldn't have helped. :lol:

Great that Supernova helped you get it fixed.

Here is a W7 forum with some graphics/driver/directX ideas http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/150770-cannot-enable-hardware-acceleration-ie9.html

MPSpain

Thanks all. I decided to go ahead and see about an updated driver. My graphics driver was dated 2008. Using a scan from Uniblue came up with a driver dated 2009. Using PC Pitstop came up with a driver dated 2010. I went with PC Pitstop and then enabled the GPU hardware rendering instead of software acceleration. Now the pages continue to load fine, so obviously the updated driver "fixed" the problem.