Suvarnabhumi Airport

VictorOne

G'day all

I know everyone is very busy at the moment, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First of all was wondering what the latest update is for Suvarnabhumi Airport ? My wife is due to fly on the 28th of October at 22:05 from Bangkok to Perth (Australia) with Thai Airways. Now I know the floods may not affect this airport, (also understand but was my main concern was in regards to Personnel levels during this time. I understand that there will be a 2 day holiday, for obvious reasons of people looking after their homes etc. Would this have an adverse affect on the airport also ?

I was also going to ask, but may not be relevant to this topic, but my wife will be staying in a hotel close by the airport, believe its only a 5 minute drive. If the floods do come to this area, would she be reasonably safe ?

Again, I understand that many things are *up in the air* at the moment, but I am very concerned about my wifes safety as she will be alone during this time. I have advised her that she is to ask many questions and if she does not feel safe, to move to another area regardless of if she can catch the flight or not.

Thankyou

Sparky

G'day all

I know everyone is very busy at the moment, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First of all was wondering what the latest update is for Suvarnabhumi Airport ? My wife is due to fly on the 28th of October at 22:05 from Bangkok to Perth (Australia) with Thai Airways. Now I know the floods may not affect this airport, (also understand but was my main concern was in regards to Personnel levels during this time. I understand that there will be a 2 day holiday, for obvious reasons of people looking after their homes etc. Would this have an adverse affect on the airport also ?

I was also going to ask, but may not be relevant to this topic, but my wife will be staying in a hotel close by the airport, believe its only a 5 minute drive. If the floods do come to this area, would she be reasonably safe ?

Again, I understand that many things are *up in the air* at the moment, but I am very concerned about my wifes safety as she will be alone during this time. I have advised her that she is to ask many questions and if she does not feel safe, to move to another area regardless of if she can catch the flight or not.

Thankyou

Sparky

Was at the Airport on Tuesday morning and flights were pretty much normal. The only problem was parking. Cars from the flooded area of Bangkok have taken up every bit of space to include the highways entering the airport. triple parking in some parts of the airport. If you do not need car transport, you will be fine. We took the express train into town with no problems. We didn't even see water standing anywhere.

Was at the Airport on Tuesday morning and flights were pretty much normal. The only problem was parking. Cars from the flooded area of Bangkok have taken up every bit of space to include the highways entering the airport. triple parking in some parts of the airport. If you do not need car transport, you will be fine. We took the express train into town with no problems. We didn't even see water standing anywhere.

My wife would only be taking a Taxi, which I believe are still running okay, I have got her a hotel close to the airport as I believed this would eliminate travel time required due to traffic. Thanks for the quick reply and fingers crossed everything goes well. Greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any updates/predictions on Suvarnabhumi today?

We're due to fly in and out (from Ubon and then onwards to Australia) on Sunday 30th October and feel the information flow may be similar to our experience at DM yesterday:

We were on an 11am flight from DM yesterday, all was OK at the airport, no indication of imminant flooding, I checked out the runways from the end of the terminal pier while waiting to board and the drainage ditches appeared to be about 1-1.5m below runway level. We arrive in Ubon to announcements that return flights to DM are cancelled due to the floods! All this change in the space of 2 hours.

We'll hopefully get a refund on our Nok Air flight back to DM, which we booked months ago, good job we booked a second 'contingency flight' with Air Asia also once we arrived in BKK last weekend incase DM closed. However, even with this flight into Suvarnabhumi we may still be stuck if she too closes. No I know that flooding may be a bit unpredictable but I would have thought that some forecasts of closure could have been made for DM. We were lucky to just get out in time. I'm concerned that we're going to hear that 'everything is alright' up until the point of Suvarnabhumi closure which will make planning to get back to Australia very difficult.

We're due to fly in and out (from Ubon and then onwards to Australia) on Sunday 30th October and feel the information flow may be similar to our experience at DM yesterday:

We were on an 11am flight from DM yesterday, all was OK at the airport, no indication of imminant flooding, I checked out the runways from the end of the terminal pier while waiting to board and the drainage ditches appeared to be about 1-1.5m below runway level. We arrive in Ubon to announcements that return flights to DM are cancelled due to the floods! All this change in the space of 2 hours.

We'll hopefully get a refund on our Nok Air flight back to DM, which we booked months ago, good job we booked a second 'contingency flight' with Air Asia also once we arrived in BKK last weekend incase DM closed. However, even with this flight into Suvarnabhumi we may still be stuck if she too closes. No I know that flooding may be a bit unpredictable but I would have thought that some forecasts of closure could have been made for DM. We were lucky to just get out in time. I'm concerned that we're going to hear that 'everything is alright' up until the point of Suvarnabhumi closure which will make planning to get back to Australia very difficult.

Deleted duplicate entry (dtac airtime up country feels like dial up!)

2 more posts to delete whistling.gif

I don't understand why people keep asking about a certain situation at a certain location in 2 or 3 days.

Nobody and I mean nobody is able to predict what the situation will be in 2 or 3 days and the only reports you can trust are the reports posted by people who are standing knee-deep in the flood with their iPad + WiFi posting their misery.

As soon as flying in or out from Swampy airport isn't possible anymore, you'll know.....I'm certain.

Deleted duplicate entry (dtac airtime up country feels like dial up!)

2 more posts to delete whistling.gif

I don't understand why people keep asking about a certain situation at a certain location in 2 or 3 days.

Nobody and I mean nobody is able to predict what the situation will be in 2 or 3 days and the only reports you can trust are the reports posted by people who are standing knee-deep in the flood with their iPad + WiFi posting their misery.

As soon as flying in or out from Swampy airport isn't possible anymore, you'll know.....I'm certain.

We ask these questions out of interest, concern and genuine worry for loved ones, friends, family and Thailand as a whole. I understand that accurate information could never be precise, and acknowledge that there are greater interests and concerns at present, but it is very hard being in another country and not actually there. My wife being alone during this time is my greatest concern of them all. I have been through my share of natural disasters. Cyclones and Fire, and any information that I was able to share during this time I did so willingly to provide an ease to people in the same situation I am in now.

Hope this gives a better understanding of why we ask these questions, and also want to add that you are spot on with your last comment . . never hurts to ask peoples thoughts though . .

Cheers

Has anyone heard concerns about the train service to and from Suvarnabhumi airport being closed due to flood concerns?

I believe this train line is underground only at the airport.

I took the express train yesterday, Tuesday, and everything was fine. There was no water at all. Not even a mud puddle.

I think there are many people interested in this last major airport hub into Thailand, for myself I am returning next week from a visit home which I'm now sorry I stayed so long, but I guess it hardly matters, the way things happened at DM it did seem literally a matter of a few hours from open to closed, someone could in fact board a flight in the west bound for BKK and find it has nowhere to land, I must admit I am seriously worried as to whether SRBMI will remain operational much longer

What then ?????????

Yes pls ignore those with nothing better to do - I hope thios tread can stay on topic

I have a flight out on Sat 29 at noon and have reeal concern now the airport may not hold up -- any info that is relevant would be appreciated.

Have two alternatives, 1 take a flight tomorrow to my connecting city and cool my heels there for a day or go by ground on Friday to Phnom Phen and take a flight from there to my connecting city (very bad option - would preferr to leave here early if needed, but no good information on the situation)

The airline says 'the Thai governement tells us the airport is fine" The answer they give and the way they give it leads me to believe they do nto feel confident about that statement.

I have to make a call in a few hours so hoping to hear anything if value that could help with making it.

Thanks

I think there are many people interested in this last major airport hub into Thailand, for myself I am returning next week from a visit home which I'm now sorry I stayed so long, but I guess it hardly matters, the way things happened at DM it did seem literally a matter of a few hours from open to closed, someone could in fact board a flight in the west bound for BKK and find it has nowhere to land, I must admit I am seriously worried as to whether SRBMI will remain operational much longer

What then ?????????

Similar concerns here... I have a flight out of BKK on Thursday (tomorrow) at 12pm. I will be taking a TAXI from Sukhumvit to Suvarnabhumi around 8am.

What are my chances of:

1. Getting to the airport

2. Having my flight safely fly out

Cheers

Don't think any probs will eventuate in the next 72 hrs for your 2nd query.

However, for the 1st you should not that traffic was so heavy on the outbound lanes of the BKK-Chonburi (to airport) motorway this afternoon that for a 3-4km section beyond the eastern ring road it was a virtual car park. Expect the same for the next few days given the combination of Isan bound traffic and people getting out of BKK to the eastern seaboard.

Now this was afternoon peak for outbound so morning it should not be so bad but it will still be heavier than normal.

Thus to be safe, either add an EXTRA hour for your expected taxi travel time or better still just take the Airport Rail link, (Cityline 25-30mins, Express 15 mins) , http://airportraillink.railway.co.th/en/index.html# (timetables in english are on the thai lang part of the site) . Depending where you are on Suk, then probably easier to just taxi to Makkasan station direct and catch the cityline if you chose the train.

Hi,

Thanks very much for the response - much appreciated! Actually I am just flying my family out to be sure, as I've got a little one, so I was really concerned whether I'd left it too late to fly them out.

I'll be sure to factor in a 2 hour commute to the airport, one way or another. We'll try to get a TAXI first as we have a bit of luggage and a 18 month old. Failing that I'll take the BTS.

I'll be staying behind in BKK as I have to work. Best of luck to to all of us in BKK, and of course the rest of flood affected areas of Thailand.

Cheers and stay safe, healthy and dry!!

Apey

Similar concerns here... I have a flight out of BKK on Thursday (tomorrow) at 12pm. I will be taking a TAXI from Sukhumvit to Suvarnabhumi around 8am.

What are my chances of:

Cheers

However, for the 1st you should not that traffic was so heavy on the outbound lanes of the BKK-Chonburi (to airport) motorway this afternoon that for a 3-4km section beyond the eastern ring road it was a virtual car park. Expect the same for the next few days given the combination of Isan bound traffic and people getting out of BKK to the eastern seaboard.

Now this was afternoon peak for outbound so morning it should not be so bad but it will still be heavier than normal.

Thus to be safe, either add an EXTRA hour for your expected taxi travel time or better still just take the Airport Rail link, (Cityline 25-30mins, Express 15 mins) , http://airportrailli.../en/index.html# (timetables in english are on the thai lang part of the site) . Depending where you are on Suk, then probably easier to just taxi to Makkasan station direct and catch the cityline if you chose the train.

Hi,

Thanks very much for the response - much appreciated! Actually I am just flying my family out to be sure, as I've got a little one, so I was really concerned whether I'd left it too late to fly them out.

I'll be sure to factor in a 2 hour commute to the airport, one way or another. We'll try to get a TAXI first as we have a bit of luggage and a 18 month old. Failing that I'll take the BTS.

I'll be staying behind in BKK as I have to work. Best of luck to to all of us in BKK, and of course the rest of flood affected areas of Thailand.

Apey

What are my chances of:

Cheers

Thus to be safe, either add an EXTRA hour for your expected taxi travel time or better still just take the Airport Rail link, (Cityline 25-30mins, Express 15 mins) , http://airportrailli.../en/index.html# (timetables in english are on the thai lang part of the site) . Depending where you are on Suk, then probably easier to just taxi to Makkasan station direct and catch the cityline if you chose the train.

What about the possibility of refugees/evacuees being sent to the airport as mentioned on another thread? Now that opens up a whole host of potential problems for people arriving and/or in transit.- not to mention for the unfortunate buggers being sent there. Anyone heard any more about this ? I am due to fly in Monday morning from Sydney in transit to Chiang Mai with Air Asia. Might be getting a bit chaotic by then. What do you reckon? Yes, I realize it is all speculation.However, any thoughts?

I have a 6am flight out Sunday morning. I was planning on getting transport to BKK on Saturday (from the East), getting a hotel and getting up early to go to the Airport.

I have been reading that all the hotels are full and getting around in BKK is fail. Would there be a room in the Sukimvit area? Should I just spend Saturday night sleeping on the airport floor? Thanks.

Has anyone heard concerns about the train service to and from Suvarnabhumi airport being closed due to flood concerns?

I took the express train yesterday, Tuesday, and everything was fine. There was no water at all. Not even a mud puddle.

Thanks for the reply. I had read elsewhere that the Bangkok MRTA had closed about 70 entrances to various subway stations.

Hi,

Apey

What are my chances of:

Cheers

What about the possibility of refugees/evacuees being sent to the airport as mentioned on another thread? Now that opens up a whole host of potential problems for people arriving and/or in transit.- not to mention for the unfortunate buggers being sent there. Anyone heard any more about this ? I am due to fly in Monday morning from Sydney in transit to Chiang Mai with Air Asia. Might be getting a bit chaotic by then. What do you reckon? Yes, I realize it is all speculation.However, any thoughts?

Haven't heard it and seems highly doubtful scenario. What would be the benefit of sending large numbers of people to the airport for any period of time when they could just end up getting stuck there and cloggin up a vital transport hub??? There are numerous large support and company buildings in the whole airport area so perhaps this is being considered and would make more sense if what you read has some basis.

Flying in should be no probs assuming the runways are operational and assuming lighter loading it should make immigration quicker though morning is usually a good time to arrive on that front. Domestic flights are out in the next few days are pretty full from all reports.

Thanks for the reply. I had read elsewhere that the Bangkok MRTA had closed about 70 entrances to various subway stations.

The BMCL operated MRT obviously needs to prepare being the only underground line in BKK. I live between two stations and of the 8 entrances, 3 are closed and all others have partial barriers erected.

The SRT operated ARL is elevated so no probs unless the whole airport is flood in which case the underground airport station is at risk. The line could still most likely operate though (assuming the SRT can separate the electrical & signalling for the flooded section without affecting operations for the rest of the line) excluding the airport station as it carries some 35k pax a day who don't travel to or from the airport. (At the very least Hua Mark to Phaya Thai)

I have a 6am flight out Sunday morning. I was planning on getting transport to BKK on Saturday (from the East), getting a hotel and getting up early to go to the Airport.

I have been reading that all the hotels are full and getting around in BKK is fail. Would there be a room in the Sukimvit area? Should I just spend Saturday night sleeping on the airport floor? Thanks.

Where have you read ALL BANGKOK hotels are full???

Use the internet and book a hotel near the airport, free minibus max 10 minutes, 800 Thai Baht.

Alternatively take the elevated Airport rail link or a taxi and get to some??? hotel.

I am flying in Sunday from Udon Thani early afternoon, get a taxi to my hotel lower Sukhumvit, ordered a limo at 00.00 Monday morning and check in for my flight out of LOS at 03.00am.

That's plan A, arranged one month ago.

I have plan B, C and D for different scenarios if Sukhumvit gets flooded or if Suvarnabhumi drowns.

There is little chance the airport will get flooded, so I don't worry at all.

Edited by sbk
inflammatory comment removed

Just a quick update. Arrived at swampy around noon yesterday the 29th. Immigration was a ghost town, had my pick of at least 15 people free immigration lines, seems not many people arriving to Thailand. Otherwise no signs of floods. The only problem was that the car park was packed, cars double parked to an fro. My driver had quite a time exiting to the main road. There did seem to be a large amount of Thai people occupying the public seating areas.