Issan People

ray23

We were out and about on a ride yesterday five farrangs. In a remote village area. We had a minor accident nothing but farrangs invloved, really minor injuries but one rider did warrant a bit of checking over. Within four minutes a village pick up appeared and off the rider was to the hospital some seven Kilos away, one that we would have never found. Not one baht was asked for, not even fuel costs.

One guy really stood out to me, he didn't know much english and kept repeating in all sincerety sorry.

Lets never forget thier is another side to this country, that doesn't include rip offs, but truely wonderful people.

In our accident we actually had people visit us at the hospital whom we didn't even know asking us if we were OK. Truly amazing.

Edited by ray23

We were out and about on a ride yesterday five farrangs. In a remote village area. We had a minor accident nothing but farrangs invloved, really minor injuries but one rider did warrant a bit of checking over. Within four minutes a village pick up appeared and off the rider was to the hospital some seven Kilos away, one that we would have never found. Not one baht was asked for, not even fuel costs.

One guy really stood out to me, he didn't know much english and kept repeating in all sincerety sorry.

Lets never forget thier is another side to this country, that doesn't include rip offs, but truely wonderful people.

In our accident we actually had people visit us at the hospital whom we didn't even know asking us if we were OK. Truly amazing.

We have been telling people about North eastern thai generousity and helpfulness , for over 40 years now ever since our first tour there in 1962, admitted they are not all angels, proud to say my anglo german children and grandchildren have grown up to be isaan lovers also, nignoy

Welcome to Isaan! I only hope that as more and more farangs arrive they don't see the locals as easy pickings (farang money lenders etc). Not nice to use somebodys 'jai dee' and perhaps naivity for gain (be it financial gain or otherwise). The cliches and general understanding of Thailand in general does not really apply to Isaan in my view. Don't come here and expect to be ripped off and treated badly etc as happens elsewhere because that's just not what these folks are about HOWEVER - beware SOME OF the younger men when they are out on the beer / lao - they know not what they do!

Hi Ray, another great story from the backwaters of ISSAN. I remember your last accident from a couple of months ago where you were treated with the same friendliness :o Viva Los Issan :D

Don't come here and expect to be ripped off and treated badly etc as happens elsewhere because that's just not what these folks are about

This has to be one of the most refreshing comments I have heard for a while :D

^^^^Ditto 4 Sure^^^ and in my experience not unusual 4 Thailand :o

Ray23 take it easy - Happy to say I have the 800 Vulcan back inKhon Kaen but I have taken it off the market- Missed it to much, just having trouble getting it up the stairs and into the bedroom @ night - anyone got a dumb waiter for sale.

Edited by mijan24

Don't come here and expect to be ripped off and treated badly etc as happens elsewhere because that's just not what these folks are about

This has to be one of the most refreshing comments I have heard for a while :D

^^^^Ditto 4 Sure^^^ and in my experience not unusual 4 Thailand :D

Ray23 take it easy - Happy to say I have the 800 Vulcan back inKhon Kaen but I have taken it off the market- Missed it to much, just having trouble getting it up the stairs and into the bedroom @ night - anyone got a dumb waiter for sale.

We were not invloved in the accident this time, just picking up the pieces :D

Everyone was just fine, and a really minor incident. But things can go wrong very quickly on a bike. I try to be careful. But I make my fair share of mistakes as well just try to limit them as much as possible.

The wake to burn or not burn that is the question :o

800 back huh, I understand, just not that easy to give up. Winch or one heck of good lock setups and an excellent cover should get you by. One thing about the big bikes you can't just pick them and throw them in the back of a pickup.

You know driving any kind of vehicle seems like the biggest act of faith a person can imagine. In America vehicles are contantly passing eachother from opposite directions at 110 Kms only 18 inhes apart. You believe you are not going to make a mistake and take on faith that the other guy isn't going to make mistakes. We do it everyday and it's the stuff not that long ago that daredevils would be involved in.

We drive with caution as to what the other guy might do, but there is only so much you can do. The last accident that we had, not really my fault, could I have avoided the situation yes, lesson learned.

Patience is really requied in driving or riding here, some Thai drivers don't seem to have much of that. But I'm retired I have no excuse for not being patient. Have to work on that one.

It's funny driving the pickup here scares me more then riding the bike. When it comes to going downtown I would much rather be on one of the bikes.

We are very fortunate to live here in Issan we could have went many other palces in Thailand, the tourist spots have a lot to offer new people here. In the form of conviences and such. The one thing they don't have are the Issan people.

I hope it doesn't change but I'm afraid as more of us get here it will, I have noticed changes in Udon itself in the past three years a more of us farrangs arrive.

One of the reasons I enjoy the village rides is the fact that have not changed yet. Stop and someone will come talk to you a long as you have a smile on your face. They will welcome you a total stranger right into thier homes. Offer to share thier food and drink with you and never ask for anything in return.

Personally I try to return the favor wherever I can, we had the entire Thai motorcycle group over for a steak fry one night, great fun. They didn't show up empty handed, brought fish and lots of other delights. Since I don't drink much and they know it brought thier own booze. I had purchased some beer, but I guess I really didn't need to.

People who only deal with the Thai's in business really miss out on a lot.

To true, I went upto Buriram and found the most amazing type of people there, kind and helpfull with a very nice attitude towards me as a farang i was quite choked up and was upset to leave the place, only thing for me was i would get a little bored with long time stay up there, shame as its such a nice change to the attitude in bkk or pat etc.

good luck