Uk Settlement Maintenance Funds Question

Looking at the UKBA website information on applying for settlement visa if I was to marry my gf, it states that I need to prove that I have enough money to support the applicant for 27 months if she applies from outside of the UK, or 24 months if she applies from within the UK.

My question is, do i have to have sufficient money in my account(s), at that point in time, to cover a whole 27 months cost of living or does it take into account the money I have coming and going regularly, i.e.salary, and calculate from that if I can support/maintain the applicant for a period of 27 months? I'm guessing that I have to have enough money at my disposal to cover the full 27 months as, especially in the current climate, a salary isn't guaranteed as jobs are being lost all the time.

If this is the case, and I would have to show I have 27 months worth of money just hanging around, how much is enough? Surely there is a minimum. If my take home monthly salary was £2000 (for ease of example) and I had projected outgoings of £1500 to cover expenses if the application was successful would I be expected to have a minimum of £40,500 (27 x £1500) in my account at the time of providing the maintenance evidence for the application?

Maybe I've read the guidance incorrectly. I'm hoping I have but have a nagging suspicion that I've read it correctly.

You can do it from earnings or savings only, or both. 3rd party support is allowed though this is under review.

Your partner's future earnings potential can also be taken into account.

The minimum established in case law is income support for a couple at the time of application. The UKBA refer to this as a guide only, however if your finances are below this level and your application is refused, chances of success at appeal are small.

Edited by bangkockney