How To Protect/Lubricate Ignition Lock?

vcpilot

After having had my nouvo elegance washed in a shop, the ignition lock seems difficult to operate,

it doesn't quite get stuck, but it's not far from it. I need to use unusual amount of force to get the key in and out.

The key also catches an ever so slight film of some strange stuff from inside the ignition. It's not quite oil and not quite water, perhaps a mix.. This is the second time this has happened,

last time the lock just healed itself after a day or two, but now i'm thinking maybe i should

add something into the lock to protect it from excessive wear.

Has anybody had the same problem before? Any suggestions on which product would be suitable to possibly get

the water our and lubricate the lock? I read somewhere that oil based lubricants might not be a good idea,

since they collect dirt later on.

Edited by vcpilot

maybe they're using some kind of pressure-washer that's working some water in there? yes, i also

vote that wd40 is hard to beat and as it's sort of a clear light oil not really any dirty film to

worry about. hose it in where the key goes and rotating part of lock cylinder if that viewable also. :huh:

You heard right, petroleum based lubricants do indeed collect dirt and grit. WD 40 should only be used in an emergency. Dry graphite is very effective also there is a graphite product that has an alcohol vehicle that will evaporate so that dirt and grit are not an issue.

I had the same problem after leaving my nouvo elegance standing in heavy rain a while. I put some WD40 in it and it is working fine again. But of course some Sonax Mos2 or some equal thing works too. But better protect the lock from water next time before washing.

OP, also consider that if thats what there wash does to you ignition lock, what is it doing to other parts of your bike, it gets into switch gear,wheel bearings, transmission housings via breathers, cables and electrical connecters, steering head bearings ect, to be honest, dont use that place anymore if you want to preserve your bike,

Chemicals to a Thai mean right amout is ok, but more is better!!

Thanks for all the replies. I bought some carretex, a knock off brand similar

to wd40. Sprayed it into the key (not directly into the lock) and worked

the key inside the lock. Seemed to make the lock move very easily.

Lickey's comment made me think about the wash shops. The one i took the bike to

probably does use some kind of pressure washer to make the water enter into the

ignition. Because if i understand correctly, the ignition lock should usually protected

by the thing that slides aside when the key is pushed in?

So do you guys usually use wash shops to clean your bikes? I can still kind of understand

the wash shops situation, getting 90 baht for the job, i suppose one couldn't expect too

much elbow grease for that amount. On the other hand, anyone know a good wash shop

in pattaya? I used the one in soi yume (paniad chang), a bit north from carrefour, close to

the evening market.

Like they said, liquid lubricants will eventually gum up the works. Only graphite is suitable for locks, if you want to keep them operable for the long term. I haven't been able to find it here and had my sister send a small tube from the States. A little goes a long way.

Thanks for all the replies. I bought some carretex, a knock off brand similar

to wd40. Sprayed it into the key (not directly into the lock) and worked

the key inside the lock. Seemed to make the lock move very easily.

Lickey's comment made me think about the wash shops. The one i took the bike to

probably does use some kind of pressure washer to make the water enter into the

ignition. Because if i understand correctly, the ignition lock should usually protected

by the thing that slides aside when the key is pushed in?

So do you guys usually use wash shops to clean your bikes? I can still kind of understand

the wash shops situation, getting 90 baht for the job, i suppose one couldn't expect too

much elbow grease for that amount. On the other hand, anyone know a good wash shop

in pattaya? I used the one in soi yume (paniad chang), a bit north from carrefour, close to

the evening market.

Find a shop that specializes in detailing bikes. They won't use a pressure washer and will wash the bike by hand.

Second the Dry Graphite spray - works great.

I wash my bike at home, with a 65 Baht bucket and some 37 Baht car wash soap from Big C

This allows me to check the bike over, see if anything need attention.

But it was a NICE bucket !!! He-He

Took my HD to a car wash once, went to the 7-11, came back and they had put some of that black gloss tire shine on the seat and grips.

Was tricky staying put I tell 'Ya !!!

But it was a NICE bucket !!! He-He

Took my HD to a car wash once, went to the 7-11, came back and they had put some of that black gloss tire shine on the seat and grips.

Was tricky staying put I tell 'Ya !!!

At least it wasn't Pepsi, or Coke they rubbed on...:D