Looking For My House...

Femme

I think I read every topic about rentals on this forum... and now I am posting my own.

I'm looking for:

-2 bedrooms/ 2 bathrooms

-Bright

-Modern Western bathrooms (!) and kitchen (old bathrooms and outside kitchen are a big no-no)

-Some greenery around the house

-Out of town, 15 min. with motorbike to town (or longer, if the house is worth it)

Price-indication:

Un- or half furnished (AC, fridge, stove): 5,000 baht

Furnished: 7,000 baht per month

In some cases I can stretch my budget slightly.

Something like this (I was a day too late for this one)

http://thprp.org/property-10014/

For 1+ year contract.

I am a nice and quiet (actually: the PERFECT) neighbour.

I like to think that I know every online real estate agency in CM, so if you've seen a house for rent that will fit my needs, please post or PM me.

The one leading me to the right house will be 'rewarded' (good food, or something I make. No, I don't knit woolen earmuffs...)

You know, Elektrified, I know this advice is given a lot, but driving around has never lead me to a house I liked. Houses look beautiful from the outside, but inside it's old & dark.

The house I put as an example is bright, without any colourful experiments going on. I haven't seen a house in this price range that I liked immediately.

You know, Elektrified, I know this advice is given a lot, but driving around has never lead me to a house I liked. Houses look beautiful from the outside, but inside it's old & dark.

The house I put as an example is bright, without any colourful experiments going on. I haven't seen a house in this price range that I liked immediately.

That particular house is new, bright and shiny but has no trees to shade it and after the cool season will be hotter than hell. Even fans will just circulate hot air. Older houses have mature trees growing around them, just look at the Thai houses they try to create as much shade as possible. Even if you install air conditioner's, if you stay indoors for any length of time you will be using them night and day. If you like a little bungalow try and get one that's well shaded.

Edited by uptheos

Try the modern Moo baans around Hang Dong area, there are plenty of houses for rent from private owners who do not use agents. I know there are a few in 'Rungaroon 3 ' so cruise around all the soi's and see what's available there. All modern houses but you may need to up your rent expectation by a thousand or so.

I have a 2 bed hose to rent on the Doi Saket road ( road 118 ) ,10 km out from the center of CM .Its B8,000 a month but has a lot more to offer than your example .I will give a link later .Has 3 a/c ,satellite TV ,internet ,shared pool ,guarded gated community ,fully furnished ( quality furniture ) ,washing machine ,and use of Honda 125 cc m/c included .OP seems a bit tight for money but it may suit somebody else

..Thai visa classifyied adds

Edited by Thaifan2

Hi Thaifan2, I've seen your ad, I know every online ad by heart wink.gif

This needs explanation:

The house looks nice but a few things made me wonder if I could live there long term. Kitchen, decoration & furniture: I liked it. But I'm not sure if it's bright enough and the neighbours seem to be pretty close on both sides, and not a lot greenery around the house.

And 10 km from city would be like 2x the distance from moat to Meechok Plaza.

I won't be needing the Honda btw. So Thaifun2, I really thought seriously about your house. And I will keep it in mind for sure. Thanks for reminding me.

I'm just very serious and picky about the house, because last couple of years I did some experimenting with different accommodations and I just know what will work for me. Besides that, I'll be at home a lot, so I don't want to compromise too much, or else I have to move out again. And I'm really done with that.

Edited by Femme

Hi Thaifan2, I've seen your ad, I know every online ad by heart wink.gif

This needs explanation:

The house looks nice but a few things made me wonder if I could live there long term. Kitchen, decoration & furniture: I liked it. But I'm not sure if it's bright enough and the neighbours seem to be pretty close on both sides, and not a lot greenery around the house.

And 10 km from city would be like 2x the distance from moat to Meechok Plaza.

I won't be needing the Honda btw. So Thaifun2, I really thought seriously about your house. And I will keep it in mind for sure. Thanks for reminding me.

I'm just very serious and picky about the house, because last couple of years I did some experimenting with different accommodations and I just know what will work for me. Besides that, I'll be at home a lot, so I don't want to compromise too much, or else I have to move out again. And I'm really done with that.

Thats ok ,the house would not suit everyone .BTW ,The house next door is empty and the house directly in front is only occupyied one day a week .Its a very quiet village .Has a mixture of very large ,medium and small houses .As it happens a guy called back about an hour ago .He is coming all the way from Bangkok to view tomorrow .So i hope it goes well .

• 3 weeks later...

I was driving around in San Sai Noi, Fa Ham (Laguna 2 and a neighbourhood near Meechok Plaza) looking for rentals. Huge houses were empty, but I couldn't find a small house that would suit me.

All those little sois in Laguna 2 and in San Sai Noi, I just didn't know where to look.

I got sunburned and desorientated... sad.gif

Driving around aimlessly does not work for me.

So if anyone could point out a rental, it would be highly, highly appreciated.

Around Superhighway or 5 km from city would be great.

@ Thaifan2: I hope it worked out for you with the Bangkokian. The distance with no car is a bit difficult for me. Thanks anyway!

I was driving around in San Sai Noi, Fa Ham (Laguna 2 and a neighbourhood near Meechok Plaza) looking for rentals. Huge houses were empty, but I couldn't find a small house that would suit me.

All those little sois in Laguna 2 and in San Sai Noi, I just didn't know where to look.

I got sunburned and desorientated... sad.gif

Driving around aimlessly does not work for me.

So if anyone could point out a rental, it would be highly, highly appreciated.

Around Superhighway or 5 km from city would be great.

@ Thaifan2: I hope it worked out for you with the Bangkokian. The distance with no car is a bit difficult for me. Thanks anyway!

Femme -

I know it can be tiresome to drive around but it really does pay off.

First you should find the area that you like best. If it is Meechok plaza/ San Sai then there are many nice moobans with houses. Finding a for rent sign by owner (especially if it is in Thai) will save you 25-50% in most cases.

If your willing to go out further, Doi Saket has some steals in terms of very nice 2 story western style houses for under 7K a month.

I spent a weekend driving around. It was tiresome, but I did it anyways and ended up finding a very nice 3 bedroom 2 bathroom completely furnished house for under 7K in San Sai.

Another good method is to contact a real estate agent, find some nice houses, and then go back to those moobans you liked and see if you can find houses that have a rental sign by the owner.

Guys, hard to please...? Do you think so ... ? whistling.gifsmile.gif

You know, I am looking for a house to make a home, so yes, I do care about where I live. CM is not a temporary adventure for me.

@PlanetX:

Thanks for your support, I really needed this pep talk, it made me jump on my bike again!

The good thing about driving around is that you ask yourself if this is the area you want to live. I was driving in Wat Ket towards Sarapee and I thought:" Too far from Warorot, Arcade bus station, this and that, where are the ricefields...?" So I turned and drove back to the city.

Tomorrow I'll contact an agency.

-To be continued-

Guys, hard to please...? Do you think so ... ? whistling.gifsmile.gif

You know, I am looking for a house to make a home, so yes, I do care about where I live. CM is not a temporary adventure for me.

@PlanetX:

Thanks for your support, I really needed this pep talk, it made me jump on my bike again!

The good thing about driving around is that you ask yourself if this is the area you want to live. I was driving in Wat Ket towards Sarapee and I thought:" Too far from Warorot, Arcade bus station, this and that, where are the ricefields...?" So I turned and drove back to the city.

Tomorrow I'll contact an agency.

-To be continued-

Keep in mind that you will pay considerably more if you go through an agency.

Caveat emptor, Femme, is my advice.

Most Thai house rentals never advertise that they have, or do not have, heat-reflective foil under the roof tiles. A house without a roofing heat shield is a non-starter: you will bake if a one-story, plus have a very costly electric bill for air conditioning attempting to alleviate the heat; while a two-story house at least lets you attempt to escape the heat by trying to live mostly on the ground floor. If you can, try to ensure any rental you are considering has ceiling/roofing reflective-foil by checking any access ceiling hatch. If no ceiling opening, best to verify during the hot season.

I and many of my friends, over the years, had been and continue to be caught out on this oversight. I recall an acquaintance who rented a top floor corner apartment for the view, but who was 'baked' most days by not only the fiercely hot roof but the walls as well. Any benefit of low rent for your 'perfect' rental can be far outstripped by very costly monthly air-conditioning bills. Just a thought.

BTW, many agencies/ renters tend to ask for three-month deposits, which are stipulated as 'fixed' by especially one Thai realtor on the local classifieds. Nothing is fixed: it's a renters' market - check any Chiangmai property web site to see endless pages of rentals, some of which are still trying to be rented or sold years later. I currently rent a 3bedroom-3 bath 2-story house because of its ideal location (for me): I rent for B10,000 per month, down from B15,000; 1 month deposit instead of the asking three, and 4 years versus their wanting 3.

But alas, I broke my main rental tenet, there is no roofing heat shield; however I live mainly on the 1st floor.

I told them if the rent goes up after that, then I will move on, which I had done after 10 years in a previous place, which is still on the market after three years.

Most asking rental prices these days are excessively high, especially when advertised to farangs: most Thais would never pay these amounts, even if they could; nor pay a deposit.

Always negotiate the deposit down to at least one month (as when it comes time to leave, the deposit you will find, has likely been spent), and definitely low-ball the many sky-high rents folks are asking on these classified sites. Be prepared to walk on, to view a more realistically-priced unit.

Then again, it's your money and possibly your virtual oven. Happy house hunting. :jap:

Jingjoke, thank you for sharing your experience. I never had problems with the heat, but always with the cold in the cold season.

But I have to remember about the roof heat shield and don't feel pushed to pay 2-3 months deposit.

So, I'll be aware smile.gif

Thanks again for your informative post.