Alternative To Bulats For A1 Test

Having looked online for sample of A1 test levels it seems that it is just an extremely basic level of English that is required for this low level certification.

Hello, my name is etc etc

Except when you listen to the BULATS test its all about 1st quarter performance etc, not exactly basic level English.

What if any, are the alternative choices that are available in Bangkok where the test is more elementary?

Thanks

This doesn't answer your question but I would say don't be put off by the BULATS. Yes it is a business language test and so obviously has related questions. However, the harder stuff comes later to establish if the applicant is at a higher level. The level to achieve A1 is very low. For example, my wife did the BULATS and in the speaking test it began with the usual "what is your name, where do you come from etc etc" which I think in itself is enough for A1. She was then asked about her job and asked to talk about what she likes about it and what she thought about her boss etc (still easy stuff) my wife did enough to gain a B1 for the speaking test. When they started getting harder (they asked her to pick a subject from a selection of situations and talk about it) she just said sorry I don't understand. As for the computer test, it was adaptive to the level of the applicant and had multiple choice answers that they match with what they read on screen or hear in the headphones.

My wife has only limited education and her English is self taught. Yet she had no problems at all achieving A1 & B1 certificates in the BULATS

Regards

Remember, too, that although the BULATS test does include reading and writing, these are not required for a visa; only speaking and listening are. So as long as she scores A1 or above in speaking and listening it doesn't matter if she fails reading and writing.

The UKVAC used to contain a list of approved test providers in Thailand, but since they and the UKBA have 'updated' their websites, this seems to have disappeared!

All I can find is the complete list of approved providers, some of whom operate in Thailand, most of whom don't!

Remember, too, that although the BULATS test does include reading and writing, these are not required for a visa; only speaking and listening are. So as long as she scores A1 or above in speaking and listening it doesn't matter if she fails reading and writing.

The UKVAC used to contain a list of approved test providers in Thailand, but since they and the UKBA have 'updated' their websites, this seems to have disappeared!

All I can find is the complete list of approved providers, some of whom operate in Thailand, most of whom don't!

Indeed, And as always, the UKBA confuses matters further by defining an acceptable score with BULATS at CEFR A1 as:

Reading – 10

Listening – 10

Speaking – CEFR A1

Writing – CEFR A1

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf

What a sorry mess!