Mighty Moe'S Deli

butterisbetter

Posted my reply to prices etc. but appears the owner chooses to ignore my post whilst answering other posts that promote his business as opposed to dealing with enquiries from a visitor to his establishment who has questioned his pricing structure for goods on offer.

I eat at Mighty Moe's and Butter is Better pretty regularly and to me the prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food and not out of line with other top restaurants in Chiang Mai.

Personally if I want to pay the price for a top restaurant I will go to one not a sandwich shop.

I don't think that it's quite correct to say that the prices are those of a top restaurant, I'd say that they are on par with what you'd pay if you went out for burgers at a place up a notch from Mike's.

Of course. A big BLT with crisps and cole slaw is 90 baht and there are cheaper sandwiches. Corned beef is 180. The prices are middle of the road and the food is better than most places. Why does hellodolly go out of his way to distort other people's posts?

Edited by ringo77

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted my reply to prices etc. but appears the owner chooses to ignore my post whilst answering other posts that promote his business as opposed to dealing with enquiries from a visitor to his establishment who has questioned his pricing structure for goods on offer.

I eat at Mighty Moe's and Butter is Better pretty regularly and to me the prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food and not out of line with other top restaurants in Chiang Mai.

I'm kind of mystified about how one person says he did not like what he had for breakfast and now somehow that is the conventional wisdom on the thread. My only gripe with Moe's is that the breakfast menu is limited compared to Butter is Better, but I like them both..

Both places have plenty of tasty items that are hard to find in Thailand.The breakfasts are good. The sandwiches are good. The pastries and deserts are good. However, if one is looking for a more substantial meal at Mighty Moe's, the dinner menu leaves a lot to be desired. Any chance of some more diner type dishes like at Butter is Better?

We do offer a few things from the dinner menu: pork goulash and meat loaf. There's also chicken pot pie made with a real butter crust. Is there anything else you would particularly like? The problem is a: we are training our staff and b: the kitchen is really small. So until they are comfortable moving around in there, we are going to limit the entrees.

Personally if I want to pay the price for a top restaurant I will go to one not a sandwich shop.

I don't think that it's quite correct to say that the prices are those of a top restaurant, I'd say that they are on par with what you'd pay if you went out for burgers at a place up a notch from Mike's.

Of course. A big BLT with crisps and cole slaw is 90 baht and there are cheaper sandwiches. Corned beef is 180. The prices are middle of the road and the food is better than most places. Why does hellodolly go out of his way to distort other people's posts?

From a qucik scan of the menu, it looks like the price range is 80 baht for a sandwich made out of vegetarian food substitute to 210 Baht for a proper Pastrami Reuben with cheese. Whether or not that's a good value I think will depend upon whether a person likes that type of food and whether's the food's good. Definitely you can go to a ThaI noodle stand and get a lunch for a fraction of the price, but that's scarcely relevant. if your a backpacker definitely 25 baht per plate noodles sound like a good thing, but it your a restaurateur you might think differently

Considering that rent in a location like Moe's is probably about 30K baht per month, and salaries are probably close to that, and that a 210 Baht Rueben probably costs 120 ro 130 baht just for the ingredianents, would anywone here really won't to run a business where if your charge 210 baht for a meat sandwich people cry foul? By my math.you'd ave to sell 660 Ruebens per month just to break even. Anyone want to change places with the presumably price gouging Butter Man on that business proposition?

Edited by OriginalPoster

From a qucik scan of the menu, it looks like the price range is 80 baht for a sandwich made out of vegetarian food substitute to 210 Baht for a proper Pastrami Reuben with cheese. Whether or not that's a good value I think will depend upon whether a person likes that type of food and whether's the food's good.

And also, if you've ever gone cheese shopping. The stuff is expensive here. And if you put the cheap imitation crap on a Reuben, it's akin to violating the 2nd law of thermodynamics or something... you just don't do that.

A guy opens a deli restaurant and straight away people who haven't been there (and probably don't plan to go anyway) post crap. "Not having been there yet... " <deleted>.

It's the same with Thai language schools. Idiots who have no intention to study ask about the qualifications of the female teachers bla bla.

Can I say 'wanke_rs'?

A guy opens a deli restaurant and straight away people who haven't been there (and probably don't plan to go anyway) post crap. "Not having been there yet... " <deleted>.

It's the same with Thai language schools. Idiots who have no intention to study ask about the qualifications of the female teachers bla bla.

Can I say 'wanke_rs'?

I've been there twice, thought that it was good; but don't understand the bitching about prices. Sure, it's priced out of the reach of vagabonds posing as English teachers & artists, but even before Moe's was opened we knew that if a NY Deli opened in Chaing Mai that most of their offerings would need to be more expensive than a plate of Phad Thai at Northgate.

Can I say 'wanke_rs'?

:thumbsup:

So true and it really gets old.

Edited by venturalaw

Breakfast is delicious and uses the same fresh ingredients as BIB. The bakery goods are same as BIB which is my favorite bakery in CM... #1 baker Dao Z.

Sandwiches are great and fresh baked bread is key to any sandwich. Comparing this to Amazing Sandwich is a no contest. Amazing sandwich has really deteriated since Mike sold it. Believe me.

There is parking on Thaipae road but is limited as all parking is around Thaipae gate.

So many people are quick to criticize the food and prices without realizing what it takes make a venture like a NY deli come to reality.

Firstly is finding the ingredients, then curing it and get a steady supply of it, then presenting it, then promoting the product. There are so many restaurants fighting the small "western" population for the amount of meals they are able to sell, that it is a huge financial risk and time that they are spending to do something that is lacking in Chiang Mai, and they should be given a standing round of applause for their forsight. They are also entitled to a fair profit for what they are doing. Two hundred baht is not price gouging, as western groceries cost more in Thailand that does local products, therefore their food costs are considerably more. Nobody seems to question the price of items at Sizzler, MacDonalds or Burger King.

What should be the main focus is whether the food is good or not. (Period)

Still, since the meat you got was medium or medium rare , and not rare, we will offer you a second sandwich and non alcoholic beverage at our expense. I will PM you a code word.

Thank you, but never mind that. Perhaps I will return in a few months when what is perhaps some startup problems have

been resolved.

Khun ButterisBetter, please feel free to PM the code word to me. :lol: I'll eat at Mighty Moe's any time! :partytime2:

Edited by venturalaw

Let's talk pastrami....What can I say? I'm a New Yorker now living in Thailand and and need my daily requirement of deli stuff. There's something about the taste and texture of pastrami that makes me salivate... spice it properly and layer on a mustard of quality and it's become many a carnviore's drug of choice. Pastrami is basically a smoked corned beef but that's all that's basic about it. Smoking is an art and I don't know where Mighty Moe's gets its pastrami but they've got my vote on their choice. I threw in a side of potato salad and dam_n, I was eating a real pastrami sandwich with real potato salad! I closed my eyes and felt like I was in Coney Island... My Thai girlfriend (who is picky about food {especially farang food} was willing to try the Shrimp Gumbo... (she'll try ANYTHING with shrimp in it). After tasting it I had to twist her arm to let me taste a spoonful. Someone's doing something right at this place. I only wish I had a boardwalk.!

It takes big balls to advertise your business on a forum with a crowd like this and so I will make the trip and sample the Reuben myself. Lots of years in NYC, so I will report back with what I would modestly propose is a informed opinion on the subject.

Haven't tried them yet but my friend is a world class chief and he tells me the corned beef on rye is to die for. He is hooked for life. But he says don't try the breakfast. That's OK with me I am a sandwich and hamburger kind of guy.

That's Thailand. There's something about the LOS that necessitates that all breakfasts must be compromised in some horrific fashion. Granted I'm a newbie here, but outside of the breakfast buffet at the Empress, the McDonald's near Pantip is as close to what I would call a decent breakfast as I've experienced so far. Very decent, actually... real English Muffins, as opposed to the hamburger buns you seem to always get everywhere else in Asia.

It's especially tragic as the coffee is so very good here...

Walked by to day...to see the menu and the prices......Wow some people must have money to burn for homeland delicacies....Maybe I will just stick to less fattening/cholesterol items at a better price and indeed a more healthier option.

Each to his own....Good luck with your Deli

I was in the other day and had the corned beef on rye at the suggestion of a friend. I can not say if it was good or bad but it was a disappointed. Nothing wrong with the sandwich it is just that I had never had one and was disappointed when all it offered was a little Dijon on the side. My friend told me that it was standard practice to offer it on the side. Their was lots of meat on it.

I will definitely go in to try the chicken salad sandwich. I can testify to that one good bad or indifferent.

As for prices 180 baht has to be to high for the corned beef sandwich. Am pretty sure the chicken salad one at 120 bah will be to high also. But I am going to give it a go.

I am qualified to comment on their peanut butter shake. A OK PRIME GOOD I guess you can tell I thurley enjoyed it.

For prices it is not a well thought out item. On their big menu board they give several deserts but no prices so I looked in the menu none their either.

The service sucks. I went in sat down grabbed the menu on the table read it set it aside and all the time the girls stood in front of the counter watching. I finally got up and walked over to the counter stood there for half minute and she finally said would you like to order some thing. I was nice and told her what I wanted. She got a bottle of soda water for me and set it on my table. Half way through my meal the cook came out and put a glass with ice on it down for me.

I was in the other day and had the corned beef on rye at the suggestion of a friend. I can not say if it was good or bad but it was a disappointed. Nothing wrong with the sandwich it is just that I had never had one and was disappointed when all it offered was a little Dijon on the side. My friend told me that it was standard practice to offer it on the side. Their was lots of meat on it.

I will definitely go in to try the chicken salad sandwich. I can testify to that one good bad or indifferent.

As for prices 180 baht has to be to high for the corned beef sandwich. Am pretty sure the chicken salad one at 120 bah will be to high also. But I am going to give it a go.

I am qualified to comment on their peanut butter shake. A OK PRIME GOOD I guess you can tell I thurley enjoyed it.

For prices it is not a well thought out item. On their big menu board they give several deserts but no prices so I looked in the menu none their either.

The service sucks. I went in sat down grabbed the menu on the table read it set it aside and all the time the girls stood in front of the counter watching. I finally got up and walked over to the counter stood there for half minute and she finally said would you like to order some thing. I was nice and told her what I wanted. She got a bottle of soda water for me and set it on my table. Half way through my meal the cook came out and put a glass with ice on it down for me.

I have to laugh at your review of the restaurant when you say "As for prices 180 baht has to be to high for the corned beef sandwich. Am pretty sure the chicken salad one at 120 bah will be to high also."

Having not been in the USA in a long time now, I had to peek on the Internet at the price of a corned beef sandwich at 2 of the most popular Delicatessen's in Los Angeles; Arts in Studio City and Nate 'n Al's in Beverly Hills. They charge US $10.50/10.75 for a 1/2 sandwich and $13.50/13.95 for a full sandwich. You must have had quite a bargain at 180 Baht for 1 1/2 sandwiches (if I understand the menu correctly. I have not been there yet). I didn't see chicken salad on Art's menu but Nate 'n Al charges US $9.75 for 1/2 and $11.75 for a full sandwich. I would think 120 Baht is a bargain. I am guessing the price of the same sandwich in NYC would be even more. Yes this is Thailand but these are specialty items the man is offering and he uses high-quality ingredients. I have eaten at Butter is Better many times and always buy their bread and bakery items so I can comment in that regard.

As for the service in Thailand that you complain about, it's the same everywhere. All you have to do is holler "Nong khrap" and your waitress will come. Did you do that?? I am guessing not. This is not the West. They are however, usually very helpful in Thailand. All you have to do is ask. <_<

I actually sympathize with Hellodolly's waitress problem. I used to be a waiter a long, long time ago and I remember that the first rule is to keep your eyes on the customers whenever possible. Instead, our waitstaff are a lot more interested in paying attention to each other. This is a nearly universal problem in Thailand.

We had originally planned to make the place halfway to a self-service joint and we still might do it. It's an idea we've seen implemented elsewhere, notably at the Milk Bar on Huay Gaew Road. Essentially you go up to the cashier station and place your order. You take away with you a stuffed animal which you put on your table. Eventually, using the stuffed animal as an identifier, a waiter brings you your order.

We had planned to steal this idea but use miniature deli items instead. Not nearly so easy as you might think finding scale models of corned beef, pastrami, and blintzes here. So, for the want of those items, the idea died. Maybe we go for something slightly more prosaic, like numbers or letters? Anybody have an opinion on the subject? It would definitely speed up service. And it's not like we've built ourselves a temple to elegant dining on the site.

As for the corned beef sandwich only coming with mustard, it should also have come with some pickle slices and cole slaw, too. It didn't?

As for prices 180 baht has to be to high for the corned beef sandwich.

180 baht? good beef is expensive and Moe's is GOOD. there is a hole-in-the-wall place in Pattaya selling some of the same type of sandwiches for around 300 baht. i do not think that we have much to complain about.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4755638

Edited by frankr

I have to laugh at your review of the restaurant when you say "As for prices 180 baht has to be to high for the corned beef sandwich. Am pretty sure the chicken salad one at 120 bah will be to high also."

Having not been in the USA in a long time now, I had to peek on the Internet at the price of a corned beef sandwich at 2 of the most popular Delicatessen's in Los Angeles; Arts in Studio City and Nate 'n Al's in Beverly Hills. They charge US $10.50/10.75 for a 1/2 sandwich and $13.50/13.95 for a full sandwich. You must have had quite a bargain at 180 Baht for 1 1/2 sandwiches (if I understand the menu correctly. I have not been there yet). I didn't see chicken salad on Art's menu but Nate 'n Al charges US $9.75 for 1/2 and $11.75 for a full sandwich. I would think 120 Baht is a bargain. I am guessing the price of the same sandwich in NYC would be even more. Yes this is Thailand but these are specialty items the man is offering and he uses high-quality ingredients. I have eaten at Butter is Better many times and always buy their bread and bakery items so I can comment in that regard.

As for the service in Thailand that you complain about, it's the same everywhere. All you have to do is holler "Nong khrap" and your waitress will come. Did you do that?? I am guessing not. This is not the West. They are however, usually very helpful in Thailand. All you have to do is ask. <_<

Probably the biggest factor in my being happy in Thailand is I don't try to compare it to any other place. You might try that it helps a lot.

As I said I will give the chicken sandwich a go that is one I like.

As for service I am glad to see you agree with me it sucks.Believe it or not I have eaten at a lot of Thai restaurants and road side carts and got better service. You might want to try some other places to eat.

Lastly you might want to try them before you comment on them.

I actually sympathize with Hellodolly's waitress problem. I used to be a waiter a long, long time ago and I remember that the first rule is to keep your eyes on the customers whenever possible. Instead, our waitstaff are a lot more interested in paying attention to each other. This is a nearly universal problem in Thailand.

We had originally planned to make the place halfway to a self-service joint and we still might do it. It's an idea we've seen implemented elsewhere, notably at the Milk Bar on Huay Gaew Road. Essentially you go up to the cashier station and place your order. You take away with you a stuffed animal which you put on your table. Eventually, using the stuffed animal as an identifier, a waiter brings you your order.

We had planned to steal this idea but use miniature deli items instead. Not nearly so easy as you might think finding scale models of corned beef, pastrami, and blintzes here. So, for the want of those items, the idea died. Maybe we go for something slightly more prosaic, like numbers or letters? Anybody have an opinion on the subject? It would definitely speed up service. And it's not like we've built ourselves a temple to elegant dining on the site.

As for the corned beef sandwich only coming with mustard, it should also have come with some pickle slices and cole slaw, too. It didn't?

Truth be known I think that the cook could have done the whole thing herself. Yes there is a lot of merit in doing it Mike style. The sandwich came with cole slaw on the side and two small pieces of pickles it would have taken both of them to fit one half a sandwich. As I said it was new to me and defiantly something I would not order again any where. I will give the chicken a go and for sure the peanut butter shake.

Probably the biggest factor in my being happy in Thailand is I don't try to compare it to any other place. You might try that it helps a lot.

As I said I will give the chicken sandwich a go that is one I like.

As for service I am glad to see you agree with me it sucks.Believe it or not I have eaten at a lot of Thai restaurants and road side carts and got better service. You might want to try some other places to eat.

Lastly you might want to try them before you comment on them.

What helps in getting the most out of one's Thai experience is being able to appreciate what Thailand has to offer that is unique to Thailand. Take the waitress experience for instance:

1. Generally the waitresses are prettier and much, much friendlier - particularly at Mighty Moe's.

2. Their demeanor is cute - much more so than in Western countries. And this is particularly true of most Thais.

Now, if one is a grumpy old man, then none of this will appeal or matter. Instead, one will nitpick and, well, be grumpy.

To each his own.

I've been eating breakfast here lately. I really enjoy the baked goods like sticky buns or cinnamon rolls or bagels and cream cheese with coffee. The staff recommended corned beef hash the other day and I was very impressed. I just hope that they get air-conditioning before it gets hot again as I really like the place and the location is very convienient for me.

I wish you the best of luck but one big point,why did you open the shop on Thapae road ? its not easy to park the car for expats and some expats are not 100% on there legs.i drive past many time and want to stop but ? where ?

I've been eating breakfast here lately. I really enjoy the baked goods like sticky buns or cinnamon rolls or bagels and cream cheese with coffee. The staff recommended corned beef hash the other day and I was very impressed. I just hope that they get air-conditioning before it gets hot again as I really like the place and the location is very convienient for me.

"Probably the biggest factor in my being happy in Thailand is I don't try to compare it to any other place."

Very true, comparisons don't work and the longer you live here the more true that is.

I like the US style corned beef, new to me but very nice.

Main problem is lack of parking.

john

So I got the corned beef sandwich. It tasted quite good and the price was not all that bad. It certainly reminded me of a good quality deli from back home and I'm sure I'll go back once in a while just for that reason.

I guess my only question is why is there so little beef in the sandwich? Is the meat very expensive in Thailand or something? Just for comparison (I know, I know) you can get this in NYC for 16 USD:

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/xOMrI2fO7sU_HBL0v3o4Lg?select=-HKyc1Qf-p3Emty7v2DcfQ

And I mean NYC is one of the most expensive cities in the world to run a business.

If I could get a sandwich like that for ~400 baht I'd actually become a total regular of Moe's - certainly once a week. Is this just completely unfeasible?

Good news!!! you can get a sandwich like that from us for less than 400 baht. Our standard sandwich costs $180 baht. But you can add extra corned beef for 85 baht. If you add 2 extra portions that comes to a total of 350 baht. So for a total 350 baht you can get quite a substantial sandwich. For 520 baht, about $16US, you can pretty much guarantee yourself a gall bladder attack size sandwich. Because we are using high quality brisket for our corned beef, and aging it for an extra long time, I would find even the sandwich with just one extra portion of corned beef to be a bit overpowering. But that's my taste.

Also, a lot of people have been asking us for lean corned beef. A lot of the corned beef that's now for sale in NY is lean corned beef.

(Not like the old days. Then if you asked for lean corned beef, the deli staff would pelt you with bagels. And in those days, bagels registered 11 on the Mohr scale. In fact, back when, customers used to tip the deliman to get the extra fatty pieces. A common delicacy was corned beef fat trimmed from the beef before it was steamed. Then it was sprinkled with paprika and slow roasted in an oven. Served on rye. Heaven. Or, at least, manna.)

Anyway, the lean cut beef starts out less expensive and it loses a lot less weight loss during steaming. We are working on that now, and when it's ready, we should be able to offer an overstuffed lean corned beef sandwich for about 200 baht. Maybe we can even toss on some trimmed fat for those who like the extra flavor.

Edited by butterisbetter

First off, good quality beef is expensive in thailand.

As for the size of that sandwich, I believe that our lean corned beef sandwich could at least match that in size for $16

Also, no info about where that sandwich comes from. Katz's Deli sells their standard corned beef sandwich for $15.25. And their prices are good by NY standards. Their sandwich is big, but not nearly that big. Also I don't know anything about the quality of the meat here. It looks quite lean. Lots of places use tenderizer on cheap beef. It doesn't have a lot of flavor but it is soft. We don't use tenderizer.

Where is the salad ha ha

Is the meat very expensive in Thailand or something? Just for comparison (I know, I know) you can get this in NYC for 16 USD:

l.jpg

My goodness :o

They should call it the triple artery slammer :)

Edited by butterisbetter