Faster Way To Obtain A Uk Passport?

I reside in Thailand, but work in the mining industry on a 24-18 fly-in fly-out roster. I will shortly need to renew my UK passport, and now they are processed via Hong Kong, I'm told it usually takes 4 weeks.

Aside from returning to the UK, does anyone know a quicker method of obtaining a new passport? I am never in Thailand, or any other country for 4 weeks, and if I can't find a quicker method, it will cause me considerable difficulties.

I was in a similar situation as I work offshore so got a letter from my company explaining the situation and was able to obtain a second UK passport.

Might I ask to whom you applied to be considered for a 2nd passport.

I doubt Hong Kong would have the authority, and besides they now only process applications, which are then forwarded to the UK for passport printing, before being couriered back to Thailand.

I was in a similar situation as I work offshore so got a letter from my company explaining the situation and was able to obtain a second UK passport.

I doubt Hong Kong would have the authority, and besides they now only process applications, which are then forwarded to the UK for passport printing, before being couriered back to Thailand.

I actually got my original second passport from Bangkok, working in the offshore industry it is a very common practice and no one at the BKK British Embassy Consulate section batted an eyelid when I applied. I still have to submit a letter stating my reasons for second passport every time I renew and to date have had no problems.

Edited by RabC

A second passport is the way to go. And, 4 weeks is a trifle optimistic at the moment for a passport to be issued. More like 8 weeks, or even longer.

I just got mine back in 2.5 weeks and a friend got his in 3.5 weeks. Where do you get your information?

I actually got my original second passport from Bangkok, working in the offshore industry it is a very common practice and no one at the BKK Consulate section batted an eyelid when I applied. I still have to submit a letter stating my reasons for second passport every time I renew and to date have had no problems.

I just got my 2nd passport back without a covering letter, so maybe no longer necessary. I originally applied for my 2nd passport at the UK Embassy Bangkok, showing a letter from my company as support.

Thanks for the quick replies.

The 2nd passport option certainly seems the way to go. I'd appreciate any further information you could give.

The covering letter from my company just stated that due to the nature of my profession I was unable to be without my passport for long periods of time, when either renewing or applying for visas and that to ease this situation could I please be issued with a second passport. The letter was on headed paper but not even an original as it was e-mailed to me here. I have used similar letters in the UK and Singapore and never had any problems.

Regards

RabC

I actually got my original second passport from Bangkok, working in the offshore industry it is a very common practice and no one at the BKK Consulate section batted an eyelid when I applied. I still have to submit a letter stating my reasons for second passport every time I renew and to date have had no problems.

I just got my 2nd passport back without a covering letter, so maybe no longer necessary. I originally applied for my 2nd passport at the UK Embassy Bangkok, showing a letter from my company as support.

Thats interesting, when I made my first application for renewal they said they needed a letter so I have just continued supplying one. I will probably continue to send a letter as its easier than getting into a question and answer session with the issuing authorities in the UK, if they have any questions.