Ups Battery Recharge/Replacement

chiangmaiexpat

Another request to the helpful computing community here in Chiang Mai: is there a shop can recharge or replace the depleted batteries of an uninterruptible power supply (UPS)?

What would be the best place to go? I realise that I can just buy a new UPS, but I would prefer to conserve resources and not throw away the old battery.

Cheers, CMX

I elected to replace my battery as well rather than to buy a new unit because I really like the software on my UPS. I went to Computer Plaza and Icon Plaza and asked around to several vendors. The price I was quoted by all of them was around 1000-1200 Baht. I went with the shop on the left on the bottom floor of Icon Plaza called Altra Digital LTD. I have been buying my laser toners from them and they give me a good price and they are friendly. Sure enough, when I asked for a discount on the battery, they offered 900 Baht. Was ready in about 2 days. Warranty was 3 or 6 months. I forget now.

Another request to the helpful computing community here in Chiang Mai: is there a shop can recharge or replace the depleted batteries of an uninterruptible power supply (UPS)?

I bought a new battery for UPS APC at ChiChang Chiangmai land

I live in Phit'lok so don't know about CM. Here, we have a few "electronics and parts" type shops. They carry a lot of electronic, stereo and appliance parts, connectors, wire solder, electronics tools, etc. Such a shop will carry a large assortment of lead acid batteries, the type that is in your UPS. You MUST have several such shops in CM; you just have to ask around until you find them.

Open up your UPS and take out the battery. Sometimes they are soldered. If so, unsolder it or cut the wires close to the battery. Take the battery to the shop and they will assist you with matching it to the proper replacement. It will cost 400-700 baht depending on the shop and the battery. Do NOT throw the old one in a bin at a disposal point. Take it to any recycle center, they will weigh it and buy it from you for 60-100 baht. After replacing the battery, your UPS will be like new.

A UPS IS a battery charger. So when the battery is spent, you cannot charge it anymore; that is the problem. So forget about recharging the old battery; it's finished.

Edited by TongueThaied

Another request to the helpful computing community here in Chiang Mai: is there a shop can recharge ...........

The UPS is what is running your computer and is continuously being recharged as you use it. That is why it can also provide power fluctuation protection. So once the battery dies, you can not recharge it.

You may have noticed the UPS beeping or flashing red for a second or two or some other indication that there was a momentary power outage? One that was so short that, while it caught your attention, the UPS did not sound the alarm for power out? That was the UPS doing its job. The outage and surge of power returning was isolated from your computer by the circuitry and the battery continued to provide the power to your computer.

I changed battery in my UPS a few weeks ago, it takes seconds to change, if I remember right the battery was 700B from Amorn (Big C Hangdong Road shop)

That sounds right. Like I said I paid 900 from the shop mentioned above but I also had another part that had failed and needed to be replaced. Also, like one member said, some are soldered and not everyone has the skills or tools to de-solder the battery connections.

I changed battery in my UPS a few weeks ago, it takes seconds to change, if I remember right the battery was 700B from Amorn (Big C Hangdong Road shop)

That's where I go to buy mine too. They will change it for you as well if you feel uncomfortable about it, in my no-name UPS it takes about a minute to change.

Of course the battery is continuously dis- and recharged, silly me. But is there a chemical procedure to restore a spent battery?

Most are sealed lead-acid batteries and over time will suffer from sulfation. This essentially damages/destroys the lead plates or shorts out the cells with sulfates. The cost of 'reforming' using high current pulsed techniques and the limited additional life time it would add is not cost effective. 600-700 Baht is what we usually get ours for.