Salapet!

expatmakmak

Greetings fellow very long term expats,

One of my favourite things to chow down on here so far in CM is a nice Salapet! For those not well versed in Thai, a salapet is a steamed white bun usually stuffed with pork, BBQ pork etc. I guess it can be classed as a form of dim sum.

Anyway, I've had the normal ones you get from vendors on a motorbike, I've had some at a dim sum restaurant but I'm yet to find a really delicious mak mak one.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by expatmakmak

The most well known and I think the longest running place is east side of Nawarat Bridge on Charoen Muang Rd. . On right side (heading east) before first traffic light (if I remember correctly). Def. no further than 2nd traffic light.

The most well known and I think the longest running place is east side of Nawarat Bridge on Charoen Muang Rd. . On right side (heading east) before first traffic light (if I remember correctly). Def. no further than 2nd traffic light.

Yes, it's a small shophouse run by some old Chinese Thai ladies. It's called Wikul (pronounced Wikoon).

Yes, it's a small shophouse run by some old Chinese Thai ladies. It's called Wikul (pronounced Wikoon).

Bloody brilliant!

I shall try a Wikul salapet and report back.

Salapet very aroi mak mak!!

I wasn't overly impressed with that place. I've tried them at a bunch of various places and motorcycle vendors. For my money, the salapaos from 7-11 top them all. Seriously.

-Mestizo

There's a guy who has a mobile stand who sells at Rimping/Rum Chok's Mon. & Tues night market. I've seen him else where too, sorry forget name but has a cool hip graphic. The pork are good but my fav is the black bean and has a sweet dessert variety.

There's a guy who has a mobile stand who sells at Rimping/Rum Chok's Mon. & Tues night market. I've seen him else where too, sorry forget name but has a cool hip graphic. The pork are good but my fav is the black bean and has a sweet dessert variety.

Is a "cool hip graphic" an excellent or agreeable tattoo on his hip? Too much information maybe. :shock1:

Bloody brilliant!

Yep, they're good - but it's definitely salapao or 'salabao', don't know where you get the "salapet" from.

Bloody brilliant!

Yep, they're good - but it's definitely salapao or 'salabao', don't know where you get the "salapet" from.

All day long, I've been wondering what "salapet" is, but was too lazy to open the thread. :D

Not had time to look for Wikul, that's tomorrow's treat! But got a quick salapet fix from a local steamer. I ordered 'Ow salapet moo song luke krab' and the vendor not only understood very clearly what I wanted, he even complemented me on my Thai.

You say tomato, I say tomato.

Thanks for all the suggestions on new places to try. variety is the phet of life!

Edited by expatmakmak

For those not well versed in Thai, a salapet is a steamed white bun usually stuffed with pork, BBQ pork etc.

Thanks for the lesson ajarn expat. What about those other things, the pork dumplings, what do you call them... karom jaab?

Please confirm.

Khrop kan koop

Not had time to look for Wikul, that's tomorrow's treat! But got a quick salapet fix from a local steamer. I ordered 'Ow salapet moo song luke krab' and the vendor not only understood very clearly what I wanted, he even complemented me on my Thai.

You say tomato, I say tomato.

Thanks for all the suggestions on new places to try. variety is the phet of life!

You say tomato, I say tomato. Yes, but you're not in Kansas now, and salapet has no meaning in the Thai language, The word you are having difficulty with, is pronounced sa la pao.

though I appreciate most attempts at humor ... for those who are interested in finding this jewel (or is that jowl - see now that's funny!!) I did forget to mention that the graphic was on his sign (perhaps a black silhouette of a face?? For some reason I remember it reminded me of the POW -MIA flag).

Is a "cool hip graphic" an excellent or agreeable tattoo on his hip? Too much information maybe. :shock1:

For those not well versed in Thai, a salapet is a steamed white bun usually stuffed with pork, BBQ pork etc.

Thanks for the lesson ajarn expat. What about those other things, the pork dumplings, what do you call them... karom jaab?

Please confirm.

Khrop kan koop

Very close Keo, good try, the small dumplings you're talking about are known as kanom jib. They're very bloody aroi too!

Salapet means probably spicy room or perhaps a place to keep your duck, 'duck house'.... for those of you who might know some Thai.....

Hi Realthaideal,

Sala actually means a kind of shelter, it can be like a bus shelter, so I suppose you could keep a duck under a shelter but I prefer them in my salapet!! delicious mak mak

Sala actually means a kind of shelter, it can be like a bus shelter, so I suppose you could keep a duck under a shelter but I prefer them in my salapet!! delicious mak mak

ซาลาเปา ......You troll

troll.jpg

No trolling, we're talking about Thai language.