More Tourists About !

Just back in UK after 3.5 weeks based in Lamai. I've been going to Samui twice a year since 2005 and I would say it's the quietest I've seen it. The Outback Bar and Fusion were dead on quite a few nights. Considering Supersub is now gone, Fusion should be full every night.

So you were here in low season, the quietest time of the year and it was quiet, amazing

Mid-December onwards is classified as high season judging by room rates on the island. I was around until 22nd.

Amazing jap.gif

Edited by MarkyM3

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back in UK after 3.5 weeks based in Lamai. I've been going to Samui twice a year since 2005 and I would say it's the quietest I've seen it. The Outback Bar and Fusion were dead on quite a few nights. Considering Supersub is now gone, Fusion should be full every night.

So you were here in low season, the quietest time of the year and it was quiet, amazing

so i am azuming that you are asuming that everyone that comes to samui heads stragiht down the local clubs and the families and the 5 star hotels an people who rent villas that are fully booked cannot be in samui because the clubs are not full.

could it be that there is more to offer tourists hear now than getting out yr nut at the local clubs and bars.

Maybe the back backers that mostly occupy these places have moved on and now we have have respectable hard core mafia hear now and we kiow how 2 run tings. rpctect!

You "azume" wrong.

Would expect that a fair number of visitors to Chaweng or Lamai, whatever their purpose, do go out in the evening to a bar, to the night markets or to a restaurant. And my impression is that numbers were down. A personal observation.

As mentioned in my OP, I am not a backpacker and was staying with other friends in midrange resorts.

Have been visiting all areas of this island twice each year since 2005 so unless the patterns of tourism has changed totally, then I reckon there must be some validity to my observations.

IMO between the floods and world economy the island has been in such a state of flux since 2005 it is difficult to say what is normal. i posted earlier that one business owner reported a norm while yesterday an other showed a 30% drop and an other said that all the low end cheep charlie rooms are full while the 5 stars are near empty the only thing that they all agreed on is the damage that bkk air is doing to the island with their crazy prices; bkk/samui compared to bkk/ phucket. No matter the island is home to many of us, living with blue skies, swaying palm trees, cool sea breezes, sunny days and white sand beaches.

The north end of the island still seems busy.

Every restaurant that I have eaten in this week - full. Friends called the local Italian in Bangrak for a takeaway pizza - "at least one hour" was the reply (at 7.30 pm). I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes before this week.

Beaches that I have visited - lots of people.

Cannot get a hire car - all booked out.

Every villa in the area where I live - full.

Bars - empty.

I think that the model has changed dramatically. Now we are seeing nearly all families. Not many Brits, very few singles or single sex groups. Lots of Russians/Koreans/Eastern Europeans. These people tend to drink in restaurants or at home. I suspect that they prefer villas to hotels. (Cheaper - no language problems)

That's my observation anyway cool.png

lots of Russian-speaking people around but others to true, and lot of new stalls popping up all over in lamai, coconuts mainly, but the beach where we hit when we first came here in September was empty,now you have to early to get a place on it,and for the seller they having a ball,the guy we know who sells ice lolly's cant keep up.

i guess it will not last long so happy hunting sellers

Sorry, I cannot see how the island is quiet.

Larry's Shack in FV - no availablity for a table until after the 2nd Jan (as of yesterday).

Bandit Airways - still flying people in and out eighteen hours a day plus (one just came in 12.23 am.)

Plai Laem to The Arena and back (new indoor stadium near the Chewang Post Office on the ring road) over one hour. Is the ring road the new M25?

What is the traffic like in other places? It is crazy up here in Bangrak at times - but then we have the boats for the New Year's Eve party.

Of course - hotels are going to say "Our bookings are down this year!" This is probably %age wise. More beds every year - but the same number of flights, so - lower %age occupancy.

Certainly the bars are doing less business. But from what I have personally seen, the island is not quieter than previous years. Just different.

Sorry, I cannot see how the island is quiet.

Larry's Shack in FV - no availablity for a table until after the 2nd Jan (as of yesterday).

Bandit Airways - still flying people in and out eighteen hours a day plus (one just came in 12.23 am.)

Plai Laem to The Arena and back (new indoor stadium near the Chewang Post Office on the ring road) over one hour. Is the ring road the new M25?

What is the traffic like in other places? It is crazy up here in Bangrak at times - but then we have the boats for the New Year's Eve party.

Of course - hotels are going to say "Our bookings are down this year!" This is probably %age wise. More beds every year - but the same number of flights, so - lower %age occupancy.

Certainly the bars are doing less business. But from what I have personally seen, the island is not quieter than previous years. Just different.

larrys shack is busy whatever day of the year !, everyday it is fully booked....

I"ll post my statement regarding this matter and how its perceived is up to you. In terms of tourism at least to samui

1. 2005 and 2006 in my opinion don't count just because while we did gain tourists it was only because of phukets loss during that time especially from the tsunami that hit phuket

2. In terms of tourist since 2007 - now the tourists coming here has changed. Meaning i've seen the rise of more

a. russians

b. koreans

c. chinese

d. now indians

on the decline though has been europeans, people from the UK, while not a massive decline, a decline none the less. There are business that do fine all year round but only because they have diversity or amazing product or service etc. In the face of the new tourists that are coming you either adapt / change / innovate to the new tourists or go out of business. I do know of some hotels with high occupancy rates now but again only because of diversity and changing to the new face of the customer.

As for 2012 in terms of tourism only 2 major factors really facing thailand in my opinion are

a. Eurozone crisis

b. ongoing political mess in thailand

I"ll post my statement regarding this matter and how its perceived is up to you. In terms of tourism at least to samui

1. 2005 and 2006 in my opinion don't count just because while we did gain tourists it was only because of phukets loss during that time especially from the tsunami that hit phuket

2. In terms of tourist since 2007 - now the tourists coming here has changed. Meaning i've seen the rise of more

a. russians

b. koreans

c. chinese

d. now indians

on the decline though has been europeans, people from the UK, while not a massive decline, a decline none the less. There are business that do fine all year round but only because they have diversity or amazing product or service etc. In the face of the new tourists that are coming you either adapt / change / innovate to the new tourists or go out of business. I do know of some hotels with high occupancy rates now but again only because of diversity and changing to the new face of the customer.

As for 2012 in terms of tourism only 2 major factors really facing thailand in my opinion are

a. Eurozone crisis

b. ongoing political mess in thailand

The Russians are not going to the traditional bars dotted about the place? they want something different?