Who'S Doing Thanksgiving Dinner?

junglechef

I have been rather disappointed going out to the various restaurants for Thanksgiving. If one wants another helping of turkey, for instance, it is not possible unless it is a buffet. What I have found is that getting a cooked bird at Rimping or Kasem, and then prepare side dishes yourself is nice. Any invited guest could be asked to bring a side dish as well.

I find that the atmosphere for Thanksgiving is much more meaningful in one's home as well, with your chosen invited guests.

I can barley remember what I did yesterday never the less what I posted a year ago, but I appreciate you helping me with this. As many places change anyways and since this could be of some interest to someone else perhaps this could be useful to rehash (that would be turkey hash of course) considering it's mid-November. Concerning last year I went to Duke's and it was great, and even though they were fully booked they kindly accommodated us. Thanks for the advice to go back, wish I thought of that (guess I'm just a turkey). Well in the spirit of Thanksgiving I'd like to take this opportunity to say how thankful I am of everything I have and would also like to say to the two previous posters, also in the spirit of Thanksgiving - get stuffed!!

I am of everything I have and would also like to say to the two previous posters, also in the spirit of Thanksgiving - get stuffed!!

"Thanks for the advice to go back, wish I thought of that (guess I'm just a turkey)"

As you called yourself a turkey, maybe it's you who should get stuffed. biggrin.gif

Anyway, wherever you go have a good one with the family.

Edited by uptheos

Thanks Ups, glad to see you don't take this all to seriously. Hope you enjoy too!! Shep, firstly wanted to clarify that I didn't mean you when referring to previous posters and secondly good idea, what time? (again don't take me seriously pls.)

I find that the atmosphere for Thanksgiving is much more meaningful in one's home as well, with your chosen invited guests.

When I was invited to my first thanksgiving dinner in Canada and heard about 'cranberry sauce' and 'pumpkin pie' I didn't kinda fancy it.

However, afterwards I was hooked. It was a great meal, I loved everything and I agree that the homely atmosphere adds something.

The other thing that struck me was that people stayed around the table and chatted, told yarns and jokes...or even started a board game. I got a real sense of family.

In UK at Xmas dinner, immediately the puds finished, it's usually a rush to the sofa and snoring in front of the TV. biggrin.gif

With the delivery of our Butterball Turkeys, I can confirm that The Pun Pun will be doing our Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner, as we have for the past 12 years.

I will be posting a page of the particulars within the next day or so, but to those out there who have attended in previous years know that we will have the 3 sitting times on Thanksgiving Day [24th Nov] and will again repeat on the following Sunday the 27th. As here in Thailand, Thanksgiving is not a holiday but another work day, last year the Sunday offering was very well received. This enables those who may have week-day commitments or obligations to still be able to have a family turkey day on Sunday.

If someone does wish specific info , [before I get to make the formal posting] please just give me a PM.

Rest assured that no one attending will go away hungry, as we will have a supply of take home boxes for the midnight snack

Thanks gang

Gonzo/John

Also the Hideaway, run and operated by Art's Cafe, but with more atmosphere. The food is excellent there, but do not eat there for Thanksgiving or Christmas. The full course, when the owner told me about it, was rather expensive, but you may find it a bargain depending on your taste and budget. To find them, go from the Airport Plaza intersection down Hangdong Rd until you get to the very large glassed SCB before reaching Lotus. Right along side at the first corner of the building their is a Soi that runs down into a residential area between the bank and an auto repair/parts place. Follow it down a short way until you see the sign on the left. It's in a nice secluded and landscaped area.

You have to make reservations for the Thanksgiving dinner. Find their ad in City Life. They also own the cheese factory across the street and make all their own cheeses and fresh yogurt. Closed on Mondays.

http://www.artcafechiangmai.com/thehideaway.html

Edited by Lifer

<br />Also the Hideaway, run and operated by Art's Cafe, but with more atmosphere. The food is excellent there, but do not eat there for Thanksgiving or Christmas. The full course, when the owner told me about it, was rather expensive, but you may find it a bargain depending on your taste and budget. To find them, go from the Airport Plaza intersection down Hangdong Rd until you get to the very large glassed SCB before reaching Lotus. Right along side at the first corner of the building their is a Soi that runs down into a residential area between the bank and an auto repair/parts place. Follow it down a short way until you see the sign on the left. It's in a nice secluded and landscaped area.<br /><br />You have to make reservations for the Thanksgiving dinner. Find their ad in City Life. They also own the cheese factory across the street and make all their own cheeses and fresh yogurt. Closed on Mondays.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.artcafechiangmai.com/thehideaway.html' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.artcafech...hehideaway.html</a><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Can you buy cheese and yogurt there. How about at Art's Cafe.

I know several restaurants that make ham and sausages they sell to the public when asked.

gecko 300 bt

<br />Also the Hideaway, run and operated by Art's Cafe, but with more atmosphere. The food is excellent there, but do not eat there for Thanksgiving or Christmas. The full course, when the owner told me about it, was rather expensive, but you may find it a bargain depending on your taste and budget. To find them, go from the Airport Plaza intersection down Hangdong Rd until you get to the very large glassed SCB before reaching Lotus. Right along side at the first corner of the building their is a Soi that runs down into a residential area between the bank and an auto repair/parts place. Follow it down a short way until you see the sign on the left. It's in a nice secluded and landscaped area.<br /><br />You have to make reservations for the Thanksgiving dinner. Find their ad in City Life. They also own the cheese factory across the street and make all their own cheeses and fresh yogurt. Closed on Mondays.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.artcafechiangmai.com/thehideaway.html' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.artcafech...hehideaway.html</a><br />
<br /><br /><br />

I know several restaurants that make ham and sausages they sell to the public when asked.

<br /><br /><br />

Art's Cafe and The Hideaway are the same owners and operators. Locals tend to go to the Hideaway (better atmosphere) and the tourists find Art's Cafe in town. You can takeaway bakery and cheese items as well as pastries and menu dishes.

Edited by Lifer

The Garden (the one across from the Inter Inn between Thapae Road and Loi Kroh Raod) is doing Thanksgigiving dinner for 390 baht and they have 3 seatings - one at 11:30 AM , one in the afternoon at 4 PM and one in the evening at 5 PM. It was really good last year and it is a nice setting in a garden area and they are nice people.

Roast Turkey set with stuffing, mashed potatoes, veggies, pumpkin/strawberry/apple pie, fruit juice, hot tea, hot coffee.

If a party of 6 pays for 6 sets, one is free.

Reservations required at least 3 days in advance Ph.# 081 8822840 or 081 6811259

As the OP I wanted thank those with friendly suggestions and say that I've going to give Pun Pun a try this year. No refection on Dukes, it was excellent, but just wanted to try John's as I've enjoyed his similar style meals and as I'm taking my kids for their first Turkey Day dinner there's more room for them to run around. As an ex-restaurnatuer I understand the value of a loyal customer and I do enjoy my visits to Dukes and wanted to again mention my happy experience we had there last year. Wishing everybody a Happy Thanksgiving and let's not forget all that we have to be thankful for. Now let's eat!!