Honda City Vs. Toyota Vios

tedkarma

I want to buy one of these two cars. I hear that Honda has higher maintenance costs - but never specifics.

Would people share there opinions on both of these - including running costs - maintenance costs - long term reliability.

Looking to buy new - but expect to keep the car for ten years. I won't put too many miles on it on Phuket - but would like to keep long term costs low.

Reliability is my number one issue.

Want, of course, auto trans, A/C, airbags etc.

Don't need/want a pick-up or 4x4.

Edited by tedkarma

This is a pretty tough one to answer. As far as comparisons go, you're better off looking at online reviews. There are plenty out there.

I bought a Vios six months ago and have been enormously pleased with it. We use it mostly for "city" driving (Korat) but have also taken four or five 1000+ Kilometer road trips with it. It performs well both on the road and in the city. So far, it has been trouble free.

We get about 17K per liter on road trips and 13 or 14 in the city, using gasahol 95.

I went for the Vios because I've owned nothing but Toyotas for the past 20+ years and have been pleased with their performance and reliability.

A friend of mine just bought a Honda City and he's very happy with it.

Why not do some online research and then drive both cars and pick the one that suits you?

Both these cars would prove to be reliable, the big differences betwen them is the City has a 7 speed gearbox, and electric power steering, where as the Vios has a regular 4 speed auto and regular power steering.

As the end it's all down to how the cars look to you, I prefer the City as I hate the centre console display in the Vios, under the hood pretty much the same though.

You can't go wrong with either of these cars in Thailand.

If both cars are roughly the same in terms of cost, performance, etc I would go for the Vios because the distribution of service centers/parts is much better than for Honda. Hondas have a great reputation for reliability in the US but I'm not sure if that is true here. Toyotas on the other hand seem to be good the whole world over.

I prefer the City as I hate the centre console display in the Vios, under the hood pretty much the same though.

I was worried about the center console in the Vios as well; especially since a friend who had rented them warned me. Turns out not to be a problem. Your brain is pretty good at making this sort of adjustment.

However, it is a problem if you're a nosey passenger like me. I like to keep an eye on things when Ms. Buadhai (still a beginner) is behind the wheel. You just can't see the Vios console from the passenger seat.

I've thought of a few other drawbacks to the Vios which I ought to report:

1 - While the air con is strong and effective, the foot level vent sucks. I like some cold air down there and the Vios doesn't deliver.

2 - It's easy to accidentally hit the "Overdrive Off" (OD Off) button on the shift lever. Of course, you notice this right away, but it could have been placed better.

3 - No way (as far as I can tell) to disable trunk (boot) opening from inside the car. That means that if someone breaks in the car they can easily get into the trunk.

4 - That silly radio antenna that sticks up just above the rear window. I've seen shorter replacements, but can't seem to find where to buy one.

Also note that the less expensive models of the Vios come with 14" wheels. The higher models have 15" rims.

I'm having a similar dilemma.

I'm trying to decide between a Vios E and Jazz Vtec, both manual. I ruled out the City 'cause even the new version is butt ugly.

For me the Vios wins exterior wise, while the Jazz has a better interior (plus those "magic seats"). I'm sure i could get the hang of the central console in the Vios, but i think it would still bother me a little.

Performance and handling wise, the Vios is great for a small car, nippy around town and perfectly acceptable for highway cruising. I drove one from Phuket to Hat Yai (just under 6 hours) and quite enjoyed it. Enough power to overtake those annoying pickup trucks and not too hairy on the corners.

I just test drove a vtec Jazz this afternoon. I didnt get to try it out at higher speeds but it seemed easy to drive around town. I suspect the handling wouldn't be as good as the Vios due to its height, but power wise i assume the Vtec should at least equal if not better the Vios's vvt-i.

I know reliability and servicing shouldn't be a problem for both cars, resale also should be fine. The Jazz is about 70,000 baht more, but u get slightly more in terms of trim etc.

Can't make up my mind at all. :o

Would love to hear opinions from owners of any of these 3 cars (Vios, Jazz and City - I could still be converted to the dark side :D )

Tom yum goong....nice screen name; good dish too!

If I were in your shoes, I would go for the Vios. You made a good point about the Jazz having a better interior and possibly more power but in my opinion, the Jazz looks weak in the front. Not much between you and the outside of the vehicle. Most cars today crumple much more easily than older vehicles but in some cases that may be beneficial. However, I think some of the vehicles on today's market look a bit too "tinny". Also, the Vios would be more stable around corners.

Thanks Thaiboxer. Good dish, crap film.

Yeah, have to say that stability is a concern with the Jazz's tall design. During my test drive it was just cruising around town so didn't really get to have a feel for the handling. - can any Jazz owners shed light on this?

About the crash protection, i dont think either car would be great. However, i have seen some pics from Honda where they did a 50% head-on collision with a Honda Legend. The Jazz didn't fare too badly.

This leads me on to my next point. I think the Vios, and possibly the City, are sold exclusively in the ASEAN markets. While the Jazz is sold in Europe and other continents as well. Not sure if this means anything but i would have thought things like having 4 star NCAAP results means that the Jazz is built with safety in mind, whereas the Vios is sold in markets where safetly isn't so highly valued. - just a thought.

My Vios (Model S) has intermittent wipers, but you can't change the interval.

I'm happy with the Vios interior. I'm 5'11" and am comfortable driving. Ms. Buadhai is 5'0" and the seat easily adjusts to her diminutive frame. In addition to forward and back and recline, the seats have a knob that enables you to crank them up and down. And, the steering wheel tilts up and down, but not that much. There is plenty of room for three adults in the back, but I wouldn't want to go so far with that load.

Wasn't the Vios sold in the US as the Echo? Certainly looks the same. I don't think Toyota markets the Echo in the US anymore.

Just got my brand new Jazz idsi today,so far i am loving it.

So easy to drive,and the 7 speed gear is fun.

I just got the cheapest model with Autobox.

But i like it a lot.

I think in the end it's a matter of taste,i think both cars are fine.

I just like jazz design so much better.

And,you can negostiate at least 20.000.- discount on both the jazz and the vios,

and i'm sure the city as well.

But you'll propably blow it all on options...

Good luck

Nick

You may be on to something there Buadhai.

I always assumed Echo was another name for the Yaris. The Vios is based on the Yaris's platform. I think the Vios was first developed for China.

Still can't decide between the Jazz and the Vios. Waiting time for the Vios in Phuket is 1 month, pretty standard i'm told. However, Honda have a manual Jazz Vtec in stock, so i could get it within 1 week. Its white though, looks good but i'm not sure how easy it is to take care.

My head says Vios, my heart says Jazz.

On a side note, i'm glad the Vios doesnt have too much resemblance to the Echo in the US. Yuck!

And,you can negostiate at least 20.000.- discount on both the jazz and the vios,

and i'm sure the city as well.

But you'll propably blow it all on options...

Good luck

Nick

R u living in Bkk Nickkbh?

Here in Phuket, i can only get 10,000 off the Vios plus free insurance, and nothing off the Jazz but a load of extras thrown in, no insurance though! :o

I might have to buy it in Bkk and drive down to get a better deal, not sure if its worth the hassle though.

Aren't the City and the Jazz the same thing - just slightly different body?

I've rented the City a couple times and really liked it. I spoke to a taxi company guy (owns a taxi company) in my neighborhood and he says Jazz falls apart, but City doesn't?

He also says that Honda maintenance is much more expensive - but can't get exactly what he means by that.

Intermitent wipers are important on Phuket. I like adjustable.

Maybe the quality of the cars is so good that maintenance costs will be minimal anyway - over the long haul?

Jazz - I too thought that there wasn't much room in the front between my feet and the thing that runs into the car . . . thus liked the City more.

I've had extremely good luck with the Toyotas I've owned - in terms of LONG TERM reliability and low overall cost to keep them running. But, have never owned a Honda - so curious about that angle.

R u living in Bkk Nickkbh?

Here in Phuket, i can only get 10,000 off the Vios plus free insurance, and nothing off the Jazz but a load of extras thrown in, no insurance though! :o

I might have to buy it in Bkk and drive down to get a better deal, not sure if its worth the hassle though.

Yup,i'm in Bangkok.

Well,10.000.- + insurance ain't bad.Insurance will be between bht.14-17.000.-

I just got 20.000.- off,no insurance and no extras.Didn't really want any,just the remote.

But check the extras,those things are expensive.I think if you get 3rd party extras it'll save a lot of money,and might be more fun.

I am sure if wave some money,honda will give you some discount.

f.ex,tell them,that your friend has a friend who deals Honda in bkk,and can give you a discount,but you would rather buy locally,but not without the discount:-)

Anyway,for 20.000.- you could take a flight to bangkok and drive the car back.

And still have money to spare.

Tedkarma - yeah the City is basically the sedan version of the Jazz. Just a shame that the City is so hideous otherwise i would have bought it already.

In Thailand Honda does have a reputation as being more expensive to maintain than Toyota but i think in the class that the Vios and City are in, they should both be pretty cheap to run.

After going through the pros and cons with the missus last night, i'm going to put a deposit on the Jazz this afternoon. What swung it was the fact that they have the model that i want in stock, so i only have to wait 1 week. Toyota told me at least 1 month for the Vios.

My wife likes the Jazz too. She likes the hatchback function.

Maybe it is a real wash twixt the three cars.

I like the Honda best - but yes the City is UGLY - but the Jazz makes me worry about my legs in a serious crash. I like the giant trunk in the City (could put 4 guys back there with room left over), plus the fact that things are out of sight.

Just want to make sure I am not missing something that I should know.

Edited by tedkarma

Maybe its just me but i'm not too worried about safety in the Jazz. Yes, there is more space for a "crumple zone" at the front in a sedan, but its not as if the Vios has a long nose anyway.

Anyway, at least in the UK the Jazz is pretty safe:

http://world.honda.com/news/2004/4040624.html

Of course, that doesn't mean that it is in Thailand. because i want a manual, the one i'm going for doesn't have ABS or airbags. :o

Tedkarma - r u buying an automatic? If so, i think i would rather go for the CVT with the 7 speed "steermatic" of the Hondas than the boring 4 gear auto in the Vios.

Right after we got our silver Vios my brother in law got a black one. His shows the dirt and dust within hours. Ours still looks clean after a week. Get a light colored one to match the local dust and soil....

The Echo that sold well in the US -- the one with the funny looking back end -- was replaced by one that looks much like the Vios, center console and all. But it only sold something like 3K units, so was discontinued in that market.

We waited about three weeks for our Vios here in Korat last June. Couldn't negotiate a discount, but did get "free" insurance.

You can't go wrong with either vehicle.

Follow your heart. Don't get stuck using your head too much!

Get a light colored one to match the local dust and soil....

Buadhai - So a light coloured car is good? What about white?

The Jazz that the dealer here has in stock is white, which looks pretty cool, but ppl are now telling me its going to be hard to take care of.

I've also been told that silver is the easiest to take care of.

With some cars though, black looks awesome. If i were to go for a Vios, it would have to be black, with at least 15" rims and low profile tyres.

I think I'm going to go for the white Jazz anyway. At this point i dont want to wait any longer than i have to.

Edited by tom yum goong

A light colored car is cooler. A friend of mine who was a car salesman did a test on the Toyota lot on Saipan. He found that a white colored car was about 5 degrees cooler on the inside than a black car.

Dark colored cars show the dirt and dust much more quickly than light colored cars.

My Vios is silver. As I said before, I have to wash it about 1/3 as often as my brother-in-law has to wash his black Vios.

Have a look at some cars where you live and see which ones do a better job of hiding the dust.

At this point i dont want to wait any longer than i have to.

Don't rush. You're spending a lot of money. A few weeks wait for the right car will be worth it in the long run.

Buadhai - I know you're right, but i've decided the Jazz vtec is the car i want (after much uhmm'ing and ahrrrr'ing).

The Jazz looks great in white, and as u pointed out, at least it won't get as hot. I suppose silver is much more practical and easy to take care of (my friend's silver '92 civic looks brand new after a wash), i think its a bit boring.

I'm going to put my deposit down today.

Thanks for all the great advice.

A word on aftermarket service between Honda and Toyota (Civic vs Altis, know it's different from the OP city vs vios but talking about brand)

Have a civic now. 2 years old with just over 100K. Surprised that the door locks craped out after 40K and the rear shocks after 50K. Serviced by Honda every 10K, tried 2 different places but they really have been useless. I honestly recon that they don't even change the oil when you take it in.

Had an altis previous. Absolutely no problems over 5 years with regular service.

I prefer driving the Honda though

I like the 7 speed automatic on the Honda.

I don't want a silver colored car - in rainy season (in a heavy rain) they seem to disappear and are quite hard to see.

Interesting to hear about Honda service. Do people on Phuket have the same experience with Honda?

Thanks for all the feedback!