Tipping In Thailand During Long Term Stay

mrireland

Im sure this has been done to death before but the search feature didnt seem to bring back anything useful. What is the standard tipping rate for eating out, ive generally been giving 10-15% since im planning to stay for a year+ so i'm not being as generous as would be if i was on holidays. Also should you tip tuk tuk drivers, if you dont is it frowned upon or is it basically an unexpected bonus? What about buying drinks in a bar, ill be with my girlfriend so are we expected to tip everytime we get a round or is that standard or not. I often tipped when i was on holidays when we ran up a bill but im not sure if its the same if your just buying 2 drinks for example.

What about things like paying to use a pool, gym, tennis court etc i presume your not expected to tip for those type of things. Coming from a country where tipping is not standard i was hoping someone could fill in the blanks for me. As far as restaurants go i will most likely be frequent the same couple of places so i will be a regular customer, not sure if this affects what i should give or not?

Don't tip tuk-tuk or songteaw drivers or at cheap Thai restaurants. No tip to use a pool, gym or tennis court.

In Western oriented or somewhat fancy Thai places, I tip something like 20 baht - of course I do not tip in fast food joints where you go up to the counter. In expensive restaurants of any type, I tip 10-15% - depending on circumstances. 20 baht for a haircut.

These are my own "rules", but most of my friends who have been here a long time do pretty much the same.

Edited by Ulysses G.

For myself it is a matter of how I feel the service was.

For a meal if it is no good food I would give nothing.

often 20 baht for a meal not so for a cheap 35 baht meal just leave the change from thee folding money.

Tuk tuk's and songtell's no tip really although a songtell is only 17 baht I will give them a twenty and for longer trips or trips to out of the way places they will ask for more then it is up to you.

In a bar I don't know as I don't go there. If I did and the drink was say 55 baht and I gave them three twenties I might just leave the change. I have been topd that quite often that is the exceptabl thing for a tip.

I can hardly wait to see the conspiracy theorists and the cheap charlies answer to this one.:D

and the cheap charlies answer to this one.:D

You've already started. laugh.gif

Just joshing.

Seriously, I think tipping and the amount is up to the individual. Certainly I never tip a negotiated fare in a tuk tuk or songtheaw.

Edited by uptheos

What about buying drinks in a bar, ill be with my girlfriend so are we expected to tip everytime we get a round or is that standard or not.

Most bars run a tab, you pay the whole bill when you leave.

If a young serving girl tops up my beer and I don't touch the bottle, they get a tip, if they cuddle up to me while they pour, they get a bigger tip.

If it's a farang bar where it costs twice as much for the beer and the management are too cheap to hire 'pourers' no tip ever.

Edited by ludditeman

Thanks for clarifying, i think that answers all my questions, i was probably tipping too much by the sounds of it but as mentioned its really up to the individual but i was looking for more of "whats the standard" and i think everyone answered my questions on that so thanks very much

Oh God, a tipping topic. I'm expecting 5 pages before the weekend is out.

I don't tip for anything, anywhere.

Go.

Don't tip tuk-tuk or songteaw drivers or at cheap Thai restaurants. No tip to use a pool, gym or tennis court.

In Western oriented or somewhat fancy Thai places, I tip something like 20 baht - of course I do not tip in fast food joints where you go up to the counter. In expensive restaurants of any type, I tip 10-15% - depending on circumstances. 20 baht for a haircut.

These are my own "rules", but most of my friends who have been here a long time do pretty much the same.

I agree with this completely. This is the same rule of thumb I follow, right down to the haircut. :) Once in a while if I take a taxi to or from the airport and the driver is particularly helpful, friendly, and helps with baggage, etc. then I would tip him/her 20 Baht also.

Be reasonable but lets hope that Thailand NEVER adopts this nonsensical American habit of 15% tips (minimum) which I have seen some waiters demand........ :jap:

Hear, hear... but they already do...sad.gif

I do what my Thai friends do: don't tip.

Taxi: round it up to 5 baht

Songtheaw, Tuk Tuk: never

Food Stalls: never

Massage: they don' tip, but I give 20 baht, unless it is so-so

Mae ban: small gifts from time to time

Waiters: for standard service, no. For extra service up to 20 baht. When they are too sweet to handle, I usually leave the coins.

Barber: never (why?)

But I think tipping doesn't make any sense. Why tip the waiter/waitress and not the Lotus cashier...

Not tipping has nothing to do with being a cheap Charlie, it's an emotional thing (or even hormonal, right Ludditeman?smile.gif)

Edited by Femme

after years here ive got in the habit of tipping every time,when i go to resturants/bars, feel guilty now if i dont leave at least 10 bht,and i get special preference at my barber,as he gets 40bht tip.

My barber charge me 30 baht for haircut and shave. :D

Well I'm a thai, and I do tip regularly......(only to selected groups tho)

Taxi......don't normally tip,unless I have to stop at several places for a few minutes along the way.....just a courtesy for waiting for me

Songtheaw......never

FoodStalls...... never,.....unless I eat there, so normally about a few baths to a busboy/girl (feel sorry for them, such a low paying job)

Massage......I don't frequent these places

Mae ban..... me too, small gifts from time to time,... esp during holidays and newyear time - a few hundred bahts extra

Waiters in real resturants........normally about 5% + any coins left over

Barber......never, I cut my own hair and do my own nailssmile.gif

fyi......Mostly I see tipping as one of the ways in helping those who are less fortunate than me, for most part......(not really for serving me tho).

I do what my Thai friends do: don't tip.

Massage: they don' tip, but I give 20 baht, unless it is so-so

I disagree with this completely. I often go the big massage school in the moobaan on the way to San Kamphaeng. Sorry I don't know the name. It's run like a clinic and you have to book directly with your favorite therapist. Some are so busy that it takes 3-4 days to see them. Many Thais from Bangkok go there when they are in town. The people giving massages are not students, in fact many of them are in their 50's and 60's and have been doing this for 20-30 years. It's a top notch place subsidized by the government. I used to give a 20-30 Baht tip until I looked to see how much the Thais were tipping and I always saw them give 50-100 Baht tips. I am not talking about the type of place on Loi Kroh. I am talking about a professional place. I've been going there for 4 years now and have maybe seen a total of 10 farangs there in all the years.

I used to give a 20-30 Baht tip until I looked to see how much the Thais were tipping and I always saw them give 50-100 Baht tips. I am not talking about the type of place on Loi Kroh. I am talking about a professional place.

We agree again. I go to a Maw Nuat (Doctor of Massage) for a theraputic massage once a week and give him 50 baht per hour for a tip. This guy is almost 60 years old and a real expert and does a great job, so I am happy to pay it and I know that he can use the money as he works full time plus evenings 6 days a week.

Edited by Ulysses G.

and the cheap charlies answer to this one.:D

You've already started. laugh.gif

Just joshing.

Seriously, I think tipping and the amount is up to the individual. Certainly I never tip a negotiated fare in a tuk tuk or songtheaw.

This should be the end of the thread.

fyi......Mostly I see tipping as one of the ways in helping those who are less fortunate than me, for most part......(not really for serving me tho).

That is how I see it too. I have seen how much abuse these workers have to put up with from some rude foreigners and I know how low their salaries are.

Edited by Ulysses G.

For myself it is a matter of how I feel the service was.

For a meal if it is no good food I would give nothing.

often 20 baht for a meal not so for a cheap 35 baht meal just leave the change from thee folding money.

Tuk tuk's and songtell's no tip really although a songtell is only 17 baht I will give them a twenty and for longer trips or trips to out of the way places they will ask for more then it is up to you.

In a bar I don't know as I don't go there. If I did and the drink was say 55 baht and I gave them three twenties I might just leave the change. I have been topd that quite often that is the exceptabl thing for a tip.

I can hardly wait to see the conspiracy theorists and the cheap charlies answer to this one.biggrin.gif

I never knew there were any "tipping conspiracy" theories. Could you elaborate?

The only thing I would say is to be careful that you're not double tipping -- meaning that more and more restaurants in Thailand are adding a 5 or 10% service charge (often without indicating it on the bill). Personally, I find service charges offensive because it means that you are obliged to tip, regardless of how awful the service was, and I'm one of those (conspirators?) who still believe a tip is earned by good service -- not automatic.

The only thing I would say is to be careful that you're not double tipping -- meaning that more and more restaurants in Thailand are adding a 5 or 10% service charge (often without indicating it on the bill). Personally, I find service charges offensive because it means that you are obliged to tip, regardless of how awful the service was, and I'm one of those (conspirators?) who still believe a tip is earned by good service -- not automatic.

If the service charge went to the staff, I would not mind it too much, but many restaurants keep it and the staff get little or nothing. They also don't get tips because patrons think that the service charge takes care of that already. :annoyed:

If the service charge went to the staff, I would not mind it too much, but many restaurants keep it and the staff get little or nothing. They also don't get tips because patrons think that the service charge takes care of that already. :annoyed:

If I noticed (before ordering) on the menu that there is a service charge, I'd get up and walk out.

If I noticed (before ordering) on the menu that there is a service charge, I'd get up and walk out.

Don't like it myself either, but I've noticed that "Cafe de Naga" (if I remember the name right), right next to "John's" around

Thape gate have a 10% service charge, but unusually enough, this service charge is baked into the price you see displayed

at the counters, etc.

First time I was initially annoyed when I got the bill and noticed the 10% service charge, but then I noticed that

the total was what I expected. I.e. the cake at the counter says it costs 80B, and that 80B includes the 10%

service charge on your bill.

While I still don't like it, that's certainly a very fair way to do it, as the price you see is the price you pay.

Hopefully the staff there do got the 10% eventually.

Yes, this is more than annoying, and I would really like to know which restaurants do that. Some restaurants do the right thing. One rationale is that the staff shares in tips, but I wonder what the impact on the basic wage paid is. A tip should be for some "extra attention," in my book, but I have started to provide up to 10% fairly routinely.

Some Thai friends are inconsistent. Sometimes, in fancier restaurants, I think they overdo it. Maybe it's the wine. You would have to wrestle with some others who never or give minimal (really small change) tips.

I won't walk out of a restaurant which adds a service charge --- which seems normally to be 10%, but I am uncomfortable with it.

With apologies to OP, it just occurred to me that no golf players have mentioned tipping caddies. I wonder what's expected there. And I don't mean something for special services off the course.

Edited by Mapguy

Wages are set by the government, and in the end the employer is responsible to pay his staff fairly. Why should the customer (especially tourists) worry about wages, his responsibility is to have enough bahts to pay for his product.

Sharing your wealth with less fortunates is beautiful, but I don't like to think of it every day, the whole day by tipping them. We have other (more private) ways to help the financial weaker ones. And I vividly remember a young boy who told me his dreams, but who had no money and when I offered him a (respectedsmile.gif) way to earn money, he said: "but I also need time to relax with friends..." Hullooo...?

Jees, many years I slept a few hours per night and had 2 jobs to finance my studies. I had no time to "relax with my friends"... Sorry, I just don't understand this "wanting wine, to go out, the newest mobile, but don't want to work for it"-attitude. But then...there are enough foreign sponsors to share their wealth with them... whistling.gif

This tipping subject is a popular topic...

That is how I see it too. I have seen how much abuse these workers have to put up with from some rude foreigners and I know how low their salaries are.

I concur with both of you. My attitude toward this matter is exactly the same - excluding the unexpected part of comment on rude foreigners made by Ulysses. Sorry, Ulysses, many Thais are way worse, they are down right discriminating toward their own kind.

For me, it looks awkward to tip any one in places that don't expect tips. In average places where they give you back changes in a tray or in a book folder I usually leave the change plus another 20; then I slip each waitress or waiter 20 on the side. For a traditional massage, I tip 40 for a 1-hour section and 100 for a 2-hr section. Heck, for 2 hours at a rate of less than 300 the mor nuut gets probably o more than 60% it's a lot of energy spent. They deserve it.

For entertainment places I tip more. I can never be like some of these foreign factory owners whom I used to meet 3-4 times a week who paid 300 for a boom boom. I tipped the girl (she thought she's old at the age of 25) who used to serve my clients and not running table 500 each time. They said I was making bad precedence.

1322235774[/url]' post='4871778']

With apologies to OP, it just occurred to me that no golf players have mentioned tipping caddies. I wonder what's expected there. And I don't mean something for special services off the course.

The Thais I play with tip 150 for 9 holes and 300 for 18, so I do the same

I concur with both of you. My attitude toward this matter is exactly the same - excluding the unexpected part of comment on rude foreigners made by Ulysses. Sorry, Ulysses, many Thais are way worse, they are down right discriminating toward their own kind.

You may very well be right. I have never noticed it in a restaurant, but my Thai is probably not good enough to realize if a diner is being condescending if they keep their voice down.

I do know that in my own business, Thais are never a problem, but a small percentage of foreigners are extremely nasty and rude to the Thai employees. They almost always back down and change completely when I interrupt and tell them that it is my business and say exactly the same thing as the Thai employee. These ignorant creeps are the types that ruin it for the rest of us as some Thais that work with foreigners lump us all together after a while. They are a small minority of travelers, but they certainly stick out.

Edited by Ulysses G.