Western Size Clothes

connda

After living in Thailand for over 4 years, many of my clothes are wearing out. Things I need include underwear (whitey-tighties), T-shirts (plain colored), and socks, especially sport socks.

I've bought items like this before, but I've found two things:

1. Most off-the-shelf clothing like this is "cut" for "slender" Thai men's bodies. T-shirts and briefs are always too narrow, even if you buy X-large. T-shirts don't fit right in my chest, shoulder, and back. Briefs don't fit in the waist and hips. Socks are usually too small. In North America, items marked "Large" fit me fine.

2. Most off-the-shelf clothing is made poorly: seams rip out, material is thin and rips -- it's basically junk. And it's almost impossible to find 100% cotton socks. All I find is acrylic and synthetic garbage. It seems like the good stuff goes to the "export market" and the junk finds its way into the Thai retail market.

So, I'd like to find some places in Chiang Mai that sell "Farang size", export quality clothing including T-shirts, polo shirts, underwear, and 100% cotton socks that fit. If I need to pay a premium - fine! I want quality clothing that fits.

Before anyone says, "Go to the Mall.", please specify -- what store in the mall and which mall.

BTW, I've spent most of my stay in Issan, so I haven't explored the shopping in Chiang Mai.

Thanks!!! B)

I am a big guy really big 555, I have found some clothing that fits me in the Airport Plaza Central Mall on the ground floor in the center isle just a few meters outside the Tops Grocery store. Sorry I can't remember the name of the store but it is on your right in the center isle shortly after you exit Tops. I'm sure someone will know the store I'm talking about and give you it's name. It's the closest think I have found to a king size store in Chiang Mai.

Good luck and I hope you find what your looking for there.

I am a big guy really big 555, I have found some clothing that fits me in the Airport Plaza Central Mall on the ground floor in the center isle just a few meters outside the Tops Grocery store. Sorry I can't remember the name of the store but it is on your right in the center isle shortly after you exit Tops. I'm sure someone will know the store I'm talking about and give you it's name. It's the closest think I have found to a king size store in Chiang Mai.

If memory serves me rite it is on the left side of the aisle if you are coming from Tops.

If memory serves me rite it is on the left side of the aisle if you are coming from Tops.

The store is indeed on the left as you exit Tops. It's called Dr. Zu. Really nice people who work there too.

You may also want to check out IBIS which is on the ground floor also as you get towards the main exit if you are still travelling away from Tops. They sometimes have some nice things but it is a case of being lucky.

Also try the export shops, you can usually find T-Shirts in these places although the selection of jeans is pretty poor I've found.

There is also the 71 Export shop up on Huay Kaew (forgive the spelling) Rd. Which is usually well stocked.

Other than that, find an excuse to go down to BKK for a couple of days and shop til you drop lol

There are at least 4 "Export" shops in CM that stock some larger size cloths.

One in basement of Tops Airport Plaza in location as described in posts above.

One in Basement of Central Kad Sung Keaw, if you enter from Car/motor cycle park it is in front of you after the Food Park.

Further up Hauy Kauw on left hand side, past The Pub and just before the Irrigation Canal rd there is Export 71.

And up stairs in Macro on the Super Highway there is another export shop.

All sell some Bigger size clothing, nothing consistent but it's a matter of visiting say once a month to see what is in stock.

I have half a dozen Van Heusen tops and found underpants in large size to fit me in Export 71 only the other week.

Little John

[There is also the 71 Export shop up on Huay Kaew (forgive the spelling) Rd. Which is usually well stocked.

I don't usually bother with the others as Export 71 has the largest stock of high quality farang-size clothing. If you are a real jumbo, you have to do a lot of searching, but they have stuff that will fit pretty much anyone. Men's clothing is on the second and third floors, but most of it is on floor three.

Their prices have almost doubled in the last few years, but it is still not any more than one would pay in the West and decent quality. The other export places mostly have real junk IMO, but you can find some good deals with a lot of looking. Export 71 is just a lot more convienient IMO as they have more and better stock.

I found a few items at the export shop in the bottom floor of pantip plaza. Besides that all of the export shops I've been to have been really lousy.

I am not a huge guy either (5'11 and 195 and lift weights). I swear the shirts in most places would fit just fine if they made the shoulders 1.3x as wide and the middle of the pants 1.5x the size. It is kind if ridiculous going to a Levis store, barely squeezing my legs into the biggest jeans they have and yet the waist still has a couple extra inches. We're really just not built like Thai men at all!

Anyway thanks for the suggestion about the export 71 place - I'll certainly be checking that one out soon.

Edited by drnkurmlkshk