Desserts At The Duke

butterisbetter

Always checking out the competition, I ordered an apple pie and white chocolate cake from the Dukes. I have to say they were both very good.

First the pie. I ordinarily never even considering ordering pies from a restaurant, or for that matter, a bakery, because I was raised by a mother who made pies from scratch and used only butter in the crusts. But Dukes pie was very good. For me the crust is the test and it was clearly good enough to eat on its own. The filling was also first rate as was the streusel topping. I prefer my apples slightly more cooked but that is a matter of taste, not quality.

The white chocolate cake was also excellent. Both the frosting and the cake. It tasted like it was home baked.

Clearly the Duke's is not stinting on the quality of the ingredients it uses and treats them with the care it takes to produce a good product.

It's true that no one's allowed to say anything bad about The Duke's since they are a site sponsor, correct? Or are we just not allowed to say anything negative about any business in thailand? Maybe I should read the rules more clearly, but I think people perusing threads should be made aware of the moderated bias.

Yep. Duke's desserts are right on. I'm a fan of the apple pie and the ginormous chocolate cake. The choc cake is similar to a small chain in CA called Claim Jumper that is famous for its oversized portions and killer ribs n desserts.

I have split the Duke's desserts a few times with 'a friend' as they really are the right size for two.

It's true that no one's allowed to say anything bad about The Duke's since they are a site sponsor, correct? Or are we just not allowed to say anything negative about any business in thailand?

Both. But on any business they mostly let it go if it's reasonably constructive criticism, and/or if you only hint at which place is intended. (eg. "A popular long running guesthouse at Thapae Gate", "A large Western oriented supermarket near the Ping river")

In case of sponsors also reasonable constructive criticism may be removed IF the sponsor requests it. Quite often though sponsors don't request this. (If they're smart anyway; it's an opportunity to show care, and resolve a situation in public. That turns bad publicity into good publicity.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Had the apple pie once, it was like silicone rubber, cold and had some kind of green stuff on the crust (not much).

If they warmed it up and scraped off the green stuff, i would have assumed it better.

Portions are huge though and should've been warmed up. If it was fresh it would have been much better, could've been an off day.

Yep. Duke's desserts are right on. I'm a fan of the apple pie and the ginormous chocolate cake. The choc cake is similar to a small chain in CA called Claim Jumper that is famous for its oversized portions and killer ribs n desserts.

I have split the Duke's desserts a few times with 'a friend' as they really are the right size for two.

I felt like Jesus breaking the bread, and fed an entire bar.

I like the Duke's food generally, but was disappointed when I tried deserts a couple times. Yes the portions were huge but the both carrot cake & chocolate cake I had were dry & kind of tasteless. That was a few years ago though. Based on these reports I might give them another try.

It's true that no one's allowed to say anything bad about The Duke's since they are a site sponsor, correct? Or are we just not allowed to say anything negative about any business in thailand?

Both. But on any business they mostly let it go if it's reasonably constructive criticism, and/or if you only hint at which place is intended. (eg. "A popular long running guesthouse at Thapae Gate", "A large Western oriented supermarket near the Ping river")

In case of sponsors also reasonable constructive criticism may be removed IF the sponsor requests it. Quite often though sponsors don't request this. (If they're smart anyway; it's an opportunity to show care, and resolve a situation in public. That turns bad publicity into good publicity.)

I can't think of any thread I've seen on here where a sponsor hasn't had a post removed or a moderator has just decided to do it themselves in case it upsets said sponsor. A shame as this overkill in consideration does indeed remove the opportunity to turn someone's negative thoughts or experiences into a positive outcome.

Thanksgiving they had a delicious pumpkin pie.

I very seldom eat the desert after the big meal.

What I will do on occasion is take a giant chocolate chip cookie home to enjoy later.

Not the best I have ever had and I don't think you can make them that size and be soft and chewier.

I didn't know that sponsors can have posts removed even if they pass all the criteria to get the OK from the mods. That explains why some of my posts have been removed. One of them even told where to park for a food outlet that people were praising but complaining about the parking. I think another sponsor didn't like my suggestion.

Please Please Dave don't remove my post.:rolleyes::intheclub:

I think the Duke's deserts are great but I will have to say that I pass on them more times then I buy mainly because the portions are so huge!!!

Maybe offer a low-cal 1/2 sized version :rolleyes:

Huge portions, you say? And the OP had TWO desserts? Not one, but TWO!! I hope he went for a 80km bicycle ride the next day! Phew!