Rider Brand Helmets.

alleykat

Does anyone know anything about Rider motorcycle helmets? I got it from one source that they are the same quality as Real helmets and although they don't have the DOT endorsement yet, they will soon, and the price will go up. Right now they are cheaper than Real.

I couldn't find much either when I did a search, apart from a few photos. The shop that is selling them said that they are imported. but not sure where from. The inners can be removed like the Real ones, to be washed, or can order replacement inners.

The Rider helmets are questionably lightweight. My Real which I thought was ok, has now fallen apart after 6 months, all the vent slides have broken and the foam has shrank to where its like the next size up now. I don't think there's really much difference between Real or Index anymore. When i first got the Real it was defective on the right ear, always pushing inwards, after not being able to hack it anymore i took a knife to it and fixed it.

An interesting brand to look into is Bilmola, the materials and construction seem much more robust than both Real and Index, the Rider helmets just feel cheap. Bilmolas run about 1k baht more than Real.

Whatever helmet you decide on, take out the liner and make sure everything is squared up inside and even.

Visual inspections and personal guesses about helmet quality are less than useless; they are dangerous imo.

Unless the helmet is truly, really, Euro or Dot or Snell (2010, in my view) tested and labeled, it can be all but useless.

Better than nothing, probably, but how much better is anyone's guess - and that's what you get when someone says a helmet is 'good' - a guess.

Edited by CMX

Consider spending a little more, 5-6k can buy a nice Shark helmet, so 3-4k more would buy you a helmet that does the job it states on the tin.

I bought a Shoei, weighing in at 23k. I can ride with peace of mind knowing that when i get decapitated my head will still be in one piece! :D

This one will cost you 5999B post-59428-0-95062000-1323008011_thumb.j

This one will cost 3500B and is also Snell and Dot approved post-59428-0-47230400-1323008052_thumb.j

P.S I am just trying to help protect someone's head, in no way am i connected to the website watermarked on the images. Karl :)

Edited by karlos

I'd also go with Shark or Sparx (4k), or LS2 - the latter is a Chinese brand but the helmets they make look pretty solid. Or HJC, I have seen those for cheap too.

I had a Real once but quality was bad - (all) the paint came off after a few months, it was really loud. Too bad it looked pretty nice.

Now I have a Sparx - there seem to be many old ones around so I'd check the manufacture date (inside the helmet) - but other than that, a really great helmet. Cost 4,000 baht in CM.

Oh yeah, I recently crash-tested it too, performed perfectly ;)

• Like 1

Forgot to suggest that after determining upon a DOT, ECE, or Snell standard, fit is essential. Also, I find that the 'C ring' attachment system, in my case, means that I'm more likely to belt the helmet snugly.

A crushed noggin = a spilled soul. There on the street, evaporating into the ether from the blood and brains. (Although truth to tell, a cheap helmet usually helps keep the brain inside the skull, although it has been permitted to wiggle toward the blow and away from it. Rider is dead or a veggie, but not as dramatically.)

Edited by CMX

Sure you can always spend more money and get better quality and maybe better safety. But for me, who has to buy all safety gear from the scratch, the cheap Real helmets looked like a good starting point. The question could be: Should i buy a helmet for 10,000Baht and protect my head perfectly for the next five years. Or should i buy a cheap DOT rated Real helmet for 1,400Baht, which may not last for long but leaves me some money for quality leather gloves and some CE protectors.

Both of my Real helmets have a click system. But next time i will look for a helmet with double D-ring closure system. An easy way to increase security a bit.

my only issue with buying a Shark Helmet is what to do with it when I leave my bike, yes I have a hook under the lockable seat but from what I have seen over the years Thais will cut the strap to theive such a Helmet even if it doesn't work properly afterwards, I have a Real Helmet which I find to be fine and has lasted very well indeed, I would also rather have the double D fastener rather than clip but have yet to find one.

@ Wantan. Invest in a half decent helmet first 5-10k should cover entry level helmets that would stand up to heavy impacts.

If i the same dilemma, 1) a good helmet only or 2) a full mediocre set up

I'd pick the first option, as the only piece of equipment a rider wears that protects from impacts (other than armour) is a crash helmet.

I could live with scuffed skin, i could live with a smashed shoulder/elbow or knees if i couldn't afford to buy armour, but the one thing i couldn't live with if it was to break would be my head.....

If you have a budget of 10k, spend 6k on the shark helmet mentioned in my post above and the other 4k could get you a pretty decent reinforced vented jacket :)

Then the following month invest in some gloves and trousers and the month after some boots if you really want to get suited up for longer rides or track days :)

Edited by karlos

my only issue with buying a Shark Helmet is what to do with it when I leave my bike, yes I have a hook under the lockable seat but from what I have seen over the years Thais will cut the strap to theive such a Helmet even if it doesn't work properly afterwards, I have a Real Helmet which I find to be fine and has lasted very well indeed, I would also rather have the double D fastener rather than clip but have yet to find one.

I carry my Shoei every where with me, it sits on the dinner table in restaurants, enters the cinema with me, sit in the shopping trolly at Tesco Lotus.

When walking about i pop the visor open and slide my arm thru so helmet sits snuggly on my forearm.

It's actually become a part of me, i spend more time holding my helmet than i do my girlfriend's hand :D

• Like 1

I am currently just riding a moped. If I get a real motorbike bike in the future I will get proper full face helmet.

I bought an open face Rider helmet yesterday. It seems to be a step up from Index, Space Crown etc.

It cost 1480 baht. At that price it's not too big a deal is someone steals in a six months or a years time. Will probably carry it with me for the first few months, lol, until the newness wears of.

Nearly bought a Real helmet, but the Rider had a sun visor.

@ Wantan. Invest in a half decent helmet first 5-10k should cover entry level helmets that would stand up to heavy impacts.

If i the same dilemma, 1) a good helmet only or 2) a full mediocre set up

I'd pick the first option, as the only piece of equipment a rider wears that protects from impacts (other than armour) is a crash helmet.

I could live with scuffed skin, i could live with a smashed shoulder/elbow or knees if i couldn't afford to buy armour, but the one thing i couldn't live with if it was to break would be my head.....

If you have a budget of 10k, spend 6k on the shark helmet mentioned in my post above and the other 4k could get you a pretty decent reinforced vented jacket :)

Then the following month invest in some gloves and trousers and the month after some boots if you really want to get suited up for longer rides or track days :)

Thanks for the tips karlos. Sorry if my post was a bit misleading. I already own 4 helmets now (plus one for my wife), 2 pairs of leather gloves, a good mesh jacket and some knee protectors. But i first have to get used to all this stuff :D

I have an openface Real helmet, a fullface Real helmet and two supermarket plastic buckets (Avex Dragon2 and Avex Teenage). Openface Real i use on my scooter on short city trips (slow driving through tight traffic jams). Plastic buckets i use for driving to 7/11 or to go for a jog (no need to lock it up).

My Reals helmets are DOT rated, so i do not worry too much about safety lacks with them. Also 100 km/h is my personal speed limit, as long as i am not hunted by a crazy Pick-Up driver. But for my next fullface helmet i will invest a bit more (up to 5,000Baht), as i now have a good steel cable as theft protection :D

My real has a double d ring fastener. I use a cable lock through the front part of the helmet and through the bikes triple clamp. Cant do that with a moped though. If i was to use a Shoei, id put a sticker over the logo, no one would probably know it was Shoei then.

I actually have my name in big bold red letters at the back of my white Real G-Force (which has an ECE 22.05 stamp, instead of a DOT one)... I've left it on top of the seat a couple of times outside...

Would probably ask a friend to bring over something like this next year...

A nasty helmet stink is also a good theft deterrent, if you can live with it.:D (No, i don't have this problem with my helmet. Took up a suggestion from someone on this forum about wearing a balaclava... never had any problems with the helmet stinking ever since.)

In a span of 3 months my BiL is on his fifth helmet already, it seems he's a favorite target with the teenagers at work.:lol:

How much you spend = how much you value your head. Simple!

No mrclough, this is not an argument for me. As my head is priceless i would not be able to find any helmet that could protect its value adequately :D

I prefer a defensive style of driving. This protects all of me, not only my head ;)

Edited by wantan

Sure you can always spend more money and get better quality and maybe better safety. But for me, who has to buy all safety gear from the scratch, the cheap Real helmets looked like a good starting point. The question could be: Should i buy a helmet for 10,000Baht and protect my head perfectly for the next five years. Or should i buy a cheap DOT rated Real helmet for 1,400Baht, which may not last for long but leaves me some money for quality leather gloves and some CE protectors.

Both of my Real helmets have a click system. But next time i will look for a helmet with double D-ring closure system. An easy way to increase security a bit.

My real Ozzie has a speed clip chin strap,and I find it the most comfortable of all fasteners i have had on a helmet ever.Easy to tighten and doesn't rust as it is made of plastic. 314515119_313.jpg

Edited by janverbeem

How much you spend = how much you value your head. Simple!

No mrclough, this is not an argument for me. As my head is priceless i would not be able to find any helmet that could protect its value adequately :D

I prefer a defensive style of driving. This protects all of me, not only my head ;)

Don't sell yourself short with a poor quality helmet then! wink.gif

I have a steel cable bicycle lock that I bought from Big C. It has a 4 digit rotating tumbler combination (so no key to lose).

I sit my helmet on my mirror and then loop the cable through the open visor and around the handle bars in between the risers.

It's not a big chunky chain, so wraps around the sissy bar of my phantom when I'm not using it and is not in the way

Sure, if someone had some bolt cutters they could cut the cable, but I'm counting on them moving on to a target that is less of a hassle.

I have a steel cable bicycle lock that I bought from Big C. It has a 4 digit rotating tumbler combination (so no key to lose).

I sit my helmet on my mirror and then loop the cable through the open visor and around the handle bars in between the risers.

It's not a big chunky chain, so wraps around the sissy bar of my phantom when I'm not using it and is not in the way

Sure, if someone had some bolt cutters they could cut the cable, but I'm counting on them moving on to a target that is less of a hassle.

This a very good idea, so much so that I'm off to Big C in a bit to get one. It's not a problem if I have the panniers on as my helmet will fit into one of them but in and around town this would be a perfect solution to the worry that we all have.

Nice one! thumbsup.gif

This a very good idea, so much so that I'm off to Big C in a bit to get one. It's not a problem if I have the panniers on as my helmet will fit into one of them but in and around town this would be a perfect solution to the worry that we all have.

Nice one! thumbsup.gif

This is the selfmade lock i currently use to protect my Real helmets against theft. 1m steel cable, 3mm thick, with a clear, soft plastic coating, so no scratches. I bought the pieces at HomePro.

The lock is cheap, lightweight and enough to show thieves that there is something they would have to twiddle with first. I can even lock two helmets or other things with it.

Be aware that like this it is of course not a strong protection. Its just something to make theft a little bit inconvenient. But there is stronger steel cable and of course stronger locks available that offer better protection.

post-129800-0-47812200-1323143518_thumb.

post-129800-0-00258300-1323143520_thumb.

Nice one! thumbsup.gif

This is the selfmade lock i currently use to protect my Real helmets against theft. 1m steel cable, 3mm thick, with a clear, soft plastic coating, so no scratches. I bought the pieces at HomePro.

The lock is cheap, lightweight and enough to show thieves that there is something they would have to twiddle with first. I can even lock two helmets or other things with it.

Be aware that like this it is of course not a strong protection. Its just something to make theft a little bit inconvenient. But there is stronger steel cable and of course stronger locks available that offer better protection.

post-129800-0-47812200-1323143518_thumb.

post-129800-0-00258300-1323143520_thumb.

That's just as good. Home pro & big c extra are in the same building near me so plenty of choice.

Cheers guys!