Bangkok Bomb Scare 'Politically Motivated': Chalerm

webfact

Bomb scare 'politically motivated'

THE NATION

Chalerm vows to unmask culprits behind home-made bomb planted near the Government Lottery Office

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung yesterday said he suspected Tuesday's bomb scare near the Government Lottery Office was politically motivated and aimed at discrediting the government.

He said the home-made bomb - the circuit of which was found to be incomplete - was not intended to cause physical injuries.

Chalerm said he had instructed police to take decisive action against the trouble-makers responsible for the bomb scare. "In three days, we will know who are those villains. They can't get away with what they did," he said.

The deputy PM in charge of police affairs said he was convinced the culprits were government enemies who "may not be politicians but are political supporters.

"These people are regulars and there are not many groups of them. Just wait and see, they will be tracked down," he said.

Chalerm denounced those behind the bomb scare as the bomb was planted just one day after His Majesty the King's birthday and on an important thoroughfare.

"They simply want to discredit the government, and now these despicable people are laughing," he said.

When asked if he was concerned about possible trouble-making during the upcoming festive season, Chalerm said that he did not think so as good preparations had been made by the police. He assured the public of peace and safety during the New Year celebrations.

"I don't think extra safety measures are needed during the New Year celebrations," he added.

The bomb was found on a traffic island on Rajdamnoen Avenue about 200 metres from the GLO. The explosive device was an iron pipe wrapped in tape, with a digital clock, electrical circuit, batteries, and small pieces of metal and broken glass. The clock was set at the number 1, which could be 1am or 1pm.

After the bomb squad defused the explosive using a high-pressure water gun, they found that its circuit was incomplete.

Meanwhile, police investigation into the bomb scare was under way yesterday, with the focus on examination of video recordings from security cameras in nearby locations.

Police Colonel Kanitchai Mahintarathep, investigation superintendent of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, said the investigators were going to study video images to be obtained from the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and private businesses near the site where the bomb was planted. This was to determine the identity of the culprits.

Lt-Colonel Somyot Udomrak-sasap, investigation inspector from Chana Songkhram Police Station, said there was no progress in the probe but that detectives were sent to locate witnesses.

The chief investigator, deputy National Police chief Police General Panupong Singhara na Ayutthaya, has called a meeting of the police investigators responsible for the case tomorrow afternoon.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-08

Related topic:

Two Homemade Bombs Found On Bangkok's Ratchadamnoen Avenue

Chalerm knows who they are, and what their motives were, but won't say just yet, while the investigating inspector reports "no progress in the probe", but the police will have a meeting tomorrow-afternoon when they've seen the videos.

Max Sennett would have made an excellent silent-movie based on this script ! :lol:

Chalerm knows who they are, and what their motives were, but won't say just yet, while the investigating inspector reports "no progress in the probe", but the police will have a meeting tomorrow-afternoon when they've seen the videos.

Max Sennett would have made an excellent silent-movie based on this script ! :lol:

Chalerm even knows they're laughing, and he knows they'll be arrested in three days. If he knows so much about them, why doesn't he get them arrested right away. Reminds me of Thaksin, when he was PM. Anytime something bad happened (plane had a bomb scare before take-off, or bunbgling bombers in his neighborhood), Thaksin would always be the first to announce to the public what it was all about. Of course he was always proved wrong in his assessments, but that never stopped him from making pre-emptive declarations willy nilly.

It makes me laugh..... I just recently had my motor-bike stolen from the front of my home, I caught the guy on cctv quite well walking in at night and stealing my bike... Police..! haha Dont make me laugh... and I live in Hua Hin which is not so big as not to know who that guy is..!

Chalerm knows many villains; quite a few a part of the same government. Now who do they know with a history of planting bombs?B)

This reminded me, whatever happened with the case of the Nonthaburi bomb? (4 killed IIRC), it was found that a PTP MP's secretary was doing money transfers to the bomber.

Chalerm knows many villains; quite a few a part of the same government. Now who do they know with a history of planting bombs?B)

This reminded me, whatever happened with the case of the Nonthaburi bomb? (4 killed IIRC), it was found that a PTP MP's secretary was doing money transfers to the bomber.

My wife figured that it probably cost that MP at least a million to get that probe squashed! Judging from the progress that has happened since then, it looks as though he must have paid up!<_<

Of course it's the Democrats. Abhisit and his band of thugs can't stand the fact they were defeated by a LANDSLIDE. Obviously they weren't doing as the people wanted.

That's right. The Democrats have a long history of bombing and rioting when things don't go their way ..... just a sec ... that's the red shirts. My bad.

Since this bomb scare or threat was "politically motivated", does that mean that there was no bomb or crime, so nobody should be arrested or charged? I'm just thinking along the lines of Thaksin and his so-called "politically motivated" charges.

Edited by hyperdimension

Of course it's the Democrats. Abhisit and his band of thugs can't stand the fact they were defeated by a LANDSLIDE. Obviously they weren't doing as the people wanted.

Please explain your ridiculous statement:

Why would the Democrats have anything to gain? bearing in mind it was a disabled/incomplete Bomb,and not aimed at anything in particular, or to do with the present Government? or its Members!

and placed near the Lottery Office,would more likely indicate a disgruntled Punter,or Employee,or some other connection,rather than anything of a Political nature.................wouldn't you think?

Edited by Scott

"He said the home-made bomb - the circuit of which was found to be incomplete - was not intended to cause physical injuries."

Now where have we come across this type of bomb before? Ah yes. The plot to assassinate Thaksin where some one drove around Thaksin's house with an inoperable bomb in his car until he was duly arrested, allowing Thaksin to attempt draw public sympathy when his approval ratings were around an all time low just before the 2006 coup.

How would Chalerm know the plan before anyone else?

Do we have to spell it out?

I don't even get how a non-operative bomb would make the government look bad - unless they try to say that it was an attempt to make it look like a cabinet member did it but fail since they are so inept... sounds too elaborate.

Please explain your ridiculous statement:

Why would the Democrats have anything to gain? bearing in mind it was a disabled/incomplete Bomb,and not aimed at anything in particular, or to do with the present Government? or its Members!

and placed near the Lottery Office,would more likely indicate a disgruntled Punter,or Employee,or some other connection,rather than anything of a Political nature.................wouldn't you think?

Please don't feed the troll.

I am someone who leans towards the red side of the spectrum....at least I lean very far from the yellow side.

The Abhisit government had a number of weaknesses, but one thing I am relatively sure of is that he is an honorable man. The Democrats strength is their honesty (by Thai political standards). It's also their weakness.

They would have a hard time finding among their ranks someone who has the where-with-all to put a bomb together, let alone plant it. They are also strong supporters of the Monarchy and would never use such an occasion or location.

Their are other groups, including other political parties, that are both capable and better suspects.

Dudley Dooright (Chalerm) racing on his horse to the crime scene, sees his beloved Nell (innocence) tied to the tracks. A black freight train (the Democrat baddies) fast approacheth. Dudley jumps off his horse (the TRT) and unties Nell in the nick of time. Praise to the brave rescuer!

In three days, we will know who are those villains . . . Grammar and archaic language apart, how is it that politicians can be so precise in placing a timescale on these things? If they can really be that efficient and precise, why do so many individuals get away with it?