International Phone Card

flashlight92

I don't use a mobile either. Zay Hi works great with very clear calls and rates are very cheap (about 35-65 Satang per minute to most countries). You can but the cards at the Post Office. Some coffee shops used to carry them like Wawee on Nimannhaeman and other chains but now that they sell them at the P.O. I haven't tried buying them there lately.

Can I use TrueMove sim in a public phone box as no-one of us have mobiles? Why bother with a public phone? Just give it to someone when you don't need it any more!

Why not get one in Tesco's or somewhere similar, can get them for a 500 baht or so....doing offer here 2 for 1050baht!

http://www.tescolotus.com/showpromotion.php?lang=en&id=454&photoid=4255

Can I use TrueMove sim in a public phone box as no-one of us have mobiles? Why bother with a public phone? Just give it to someone when you don't need it any more!

Why not get one in Tesco's or somewhere similar, can get them for a 500 baht or so....doing offer here 2 for 1050baht!

http://www.tescolotus.com/showpromotion.php?lang=en&id=454&photoid=4255

Would anyone really use a mobile to call a foreign country? They hardly work within the country, I couldn't imagine trying to call another country!

http://www.tescolotu...54&photoid=4255

Would anyone really use a mobile to call a foreign country? They hardly work within the country, I couldn't imagine trying to call another country!

I call the UK 3/4 times a week and the calls usually last for 15 - 30 minutes, never had a problem with my mobile using True International Sim card.

With DeeDial, it doesn't matter who you have for a mobile phone provider. You call the DeeDial "callback number" using the mobile phone (sim) registered to the DD account, it will ring with no answer, then hang up. Since there was no connection, there is no change. Then the DeeDial computer, which has recognized your number, calls you back and you enter the number you wish to call, then speak as normal with any other call. There are no mobile phone charges, because it is an "incomng call." One baht a minute to many palces. Pretty brilliant, really.

I don't want to have to buy a mobile just to make 3 calls a year!!! Any more info on international phone cards to use with a public phone which was my original post ?!!! Thanks.

I too, couldn't give a rat's ass about a mobile. To me they are junk. I'd never use one for an International call. With the Zay Hi card you just dial a number in Bangkok (free call since there is no answer) from your home phone, and in 15 seconds the automated system calls you back. So you pay nothing for the call to BKK and then only the per minute charge. To the USA its only 0.45 satang per minute and to Switzerland its only 0.95 satang per minute, U.K. 0.88 stang per minute, etc.

http://www.zayhi.com/DefaultEN.aspx

I call the UK 3/4 times a week and the calls usually last for 15 - 30 minutes, never had a problem with my mobile using True International Sim card.

Same here; I call other countries three to five times a month and never, ever had a problem using mobile with true sim.

You are joking? They hardly work in this country? Mobile phones! What are those millions of people I see with mobile phones permanently stuck to their ear doing then?

I guess you must live in the middle of absolutely nowhere!

The OP thinks mobiles barely work in this country? Well he'll be astonished at what is now possible.

I have an application from Skype on my Android phone that connects to my home wifi network or through my 3G mobile internet connection to make voice calls. I have an online number based in the UK, so people can call me by dialing my personal UK number (whilst I'm here in the UK). I also get free calls to anyone else using the Skype system and included in my subscription I have free calls to any landline in Europe.

And all that costs me about 500 Baht/month.

Now come on Thailand, get 3G coverage all over the country.

I don't have a mobile or a home phone. I just need a card I can use from a public phone box. Does the Zay Hi card work from a phone box? Thanks.

Yes Zay Hi works from a pay phone. You should have a telephone line installed. How would you call the police or an ambulance in the event of an emergency?

We only stay in Thailand for 6 months a year and then head south to Malaysia and Indonesia for the rest of the year to avoid the rainy season. We don't have a fixed address and so no home line. I never had a mobile in the UK and I don't want one here. My original post said nothing about us thinking mobiles don't work in Thailand. We just don't need one. We've been away for 8 years and have never had to make a call, national or international. The only reason I ask about the phonecard is not for us but for my parents visiting from the UK to make the odd call. I wish people would answer the original topic and not waffle off subject. If people want to discuss mobile phone deals please start another topic. Thanks. Oh and before the ranting starts I'm not anti-mobile, it's just not neccesary for us.

I wish people would answer the original topic and not waffle off subject. If people want to discuss mobile phone deals please start another topic. Thanks.

This is an open forum. The thread is about making international phone calls. You're requirements have been taken care of with the recommendation of a Zay Hi card from the post office. For other peoples' benefit, and I'm sure most readers are interest in making international calls, I don't see a reason why the thread cannot talk about alternative options.

So, the other option (and one that's open to the OP) is through thre prefixes 005, 006, 00600 (poor quality), 007 and 009. They all seem to change their prices quite a lot, and True's 00600 is terrible beyond use quality wise so I usually use 006. Are there other prefix options that are available?

We only stay in Thailand for 6 months a year and then head south to Malaysia and Indonesia for the rest of the year to avoid the rainy season. We don't have a fixed address and so no home line. I never had a mobile in the UK and I don't want one here. My original post said nothing about us thinking mobiles don't work in Thailand. We just don't need one. We've been away for 8 years and have never had to make a call, national or international. The only reason I ask about the phonecard is not for us but for my parents visiting from the UK to make the odd call. I wish people would answer the original topic and not waffle off subject. If people want to discuss mobile phone deals please start another topic. Thanks. Oh and before the ranting starts I'm not anti-mobile, it's just not neccesary for us.

You haven't made a phone call in 8 years? That's impressive. I probably use the telephone less than anyone I know; certainly never more than 60-80 minutes in a month but can't top your record. Anyways the Zay Hi card should be fine for your needs.

Also I don't know how many people know this but if you dial 1234 before the telephone number in Thailand, you get a much better rate.

I wish people would answer the original topic and not waffle off subject. If people want to discuss mobile phone deals please start another topic. Thanks.

This is an open forum. The thread is about making international phone calls. You're requirements have been taken care of with the recommendation of a Zay Hi card from the post office. For other peoples' benefit, and I'm sure most readers are interest in making international calls, I don't see a reason why the thread cannot talk about alternative options.

So, the other option (and one that's open to the OP) is through thre prefixes 005, 006, 00600 (poor quality), 007 and 009. They all seem to change their prices quite a lot, and True's 00600 is terrible beyond use quality wise so I usually use 006. Are there other prefix options that are available?

COMPLETELY WRONG. 2 years using 00600 prefix on True and never had a problem.

You haven't made a phone call in 8 years? That's impressive. I probably use the telephone less than anyone I know; certainly never more than 60-80 minutes in a month but can't top your record. Anyways the Zay Hi card should be fine for your needs.

Also I don't know how many people know this but if you dial 1234 before the telephone number in Thailand, you get a much better rate.

This Guy hasn't used a mobile or landline for the past 8 years, obviously doesn't need the Family and Friends package!

The attitude of your response makes me ashamed to be British, why be so ignorant, just go back to the town you came from! I'm sure I've met you in Wetherspoons on a Tuesday afternoon.