U.S. drone crashes in Seychelles, off eastern Africa

News_Editor

U.S. drone crashes in Seychelles, off eastern Africa

2011-12-14 08:20:08 GMT+7 (ICT)

RAMSTEIN AIR BASE, GERMANY (BNO NEWS) -- An unmanned U.S. drone crashed at an airport in the Republic of Seychelles, just east of mainland Africa, on late Tuesday morning, the U.S. Air Forces in Europe (USAFE) confirmed.

The accident happened at around 10.22 a.m. local time when a remote-controlled MQ-9 Reaper crashed at Seychelles International Airport on Mahe, the largest island of the Seychelles. The country is located northeast of the island of Madagascar, about 1,500 kilometers (932 miles) east of mainland Africa.

"The Government of Seychelles was immediately notified, and the U.S. military and the Civil Aviation Authority of the Seychelles are coordinating the removal of debris," the USAFE said in a brief statement.

There were no reports of injuries as the MQ-9, which is developed by General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, had no weapons on board. The runway at the airport was briefly closed due to a fire but later reopened for normal traffic.

The cause of the accident was not immediately known, but an official from the Seychelles Civil Aviation Authority (SCAA) said the drone had developed engine problems shortly after it took off from the airport.

According to the U.S. Air Force, the MQ-9 Reaper is a medium-to-high altitude, long endurance unmanned aircraft system which can provide close air support, air interdiction, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance. The drones are used to monitor piracy activities in and around the Indian Ocean.

Tuesday's accident comes just weeks after a U.S.-built RQ-170 Sentinel stealth aircraft was captured by Iran while it flew over the northeastern Iranian city of Kashmar, located about 225 kilometers (140 miles) away from the border with Afghanistan. Iran says its electronic warfare unit brought the drone down, although Washington insists it crashed after contact was lost.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-12-14

Leaving politics aside, surely it is downright dangerous to have these drones taking off (and presumably landing), at an International Airport ?

In reality, it is less dangerous in terms of crashing than the local enthusiast taking his remote control plane out for a spin at the local park. And I would hazard a guess that it is far safer than private planes in as far as crashing on a per take-off or landing basis.

Could be that now the US has "crash" debris and after a "lengthy and thorough investigation" will reveal that the two drones had similar __________( insert your own theory/guess guidance, engine, whatever) system which would cast doubt on Iran's claim that they shot down the other drone.

Leaving politics aside, surely it is downright dangerous to have these drones taking off (and presumably landing), at an International Airport ?

I'm quite certain that all drone flight activities would be well coordinated with the control tower and airport operations to ensure that there was no risk to manned aircraft using the airport. IMHO

In reality, it is less dangerous in terms of crashing than the local enthusiast taking his remote control plane out for a spin at the local park. And I would hazard a guess that it is far safer than private planes in as far as crashing on a per take-off or landing basis.

Except it weighs around 5 tons fueled and loaded. Much prefer a RC hobbyist plane land on me than that. :D

Except it weighs around 5 tons fueled and loaded. Much prefer a RC hobbyist plane land on me than that. :D

+1 & this time it was not the spy/surveillance type drone. It was a Reaper..Previously the Predator.The same type they use to fly in Pakistan & shoots guided bombs & missiles

Size is about same as a fighter jet 36 feet long with 66 foot wingspan & can fly at 300mph & reach up to 50,000 feet.

Was lucky it happened to be an empty payload when it crashed.

+1 & this time it was not the spy/surveillance type drone. It was a Reaper..Previously the Predator.The same type they use to fly in Pakistan & shoots guided bombs & missiles

Size is about same as a fighter jet 36 feet long with 66 foot wingspan & can fly at 300mph & reach up to 50,000 feet.

Was lucky it happened to be an empty payload when it crashed.

And these things are remote controlled ? It must only be a matter of time before one of these things causes an incident with a commercial flight.