Dozens of Israeli settlers storm West Bank military base

News_Editor

Dozens of Israeli settlers storm West Bank military base

2011-12-14 08:32:43 GMT+7 (ICT)

TEL AVIV (BNO NEWS) -- Dozens of Israeli settlers and right-wing activists stormed a military base in the West Bank on early Tuesday morning after rumors spread that the Israeli military was preparing to evict a settlement, local media reported.

Some 50 settlers entered a key military base near the West Bank city of Qalqilya on early Tuesday morning, throwing rocks, burning tires, and vandalizing military vehicles. Settlers also threw stones at the vehicle of an Israeli army division commander, who sustained minor injuries when a stone hit his head.

Right-wing activists also blocked a main West Bank road and threw stones at passing Palestinian vehicles and Israeli Defense Force (IDF) soldiers in the area. No arrests were made, Israel's Haaretz newspaper reported on its website.

The settlers were acting in response to a rumor that the IDF would act to evict the largest outpost in the West Bank in accordance with a Supreme Court ruling in August. The court ruled that the state must complete the evacuation of Migron, which has a total population of 280 people, by March 31, 2012, since it was "illegally constructed on private land."

Tuesday's attack was widely condemned by politicians and right-wing groups, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called an emergency meeting shortly after. "The situation is intolerable," Netanyahu said. "We must take care of these rioters with a firm hand. We will not tolerate a situation in which IDF officers and soldiers are attacked and distracted from protecting Israeli citizens."

Defense Minister Ehud Barak also condemned the attack, saying the actions "carry an air of self-made terrorism." He also instructed IDF forces to use all means necessary to find the perpetrators.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-12-14

It is sad to see how Israel pushes further on its "Unser Volk braucht Raum" policy and the international community just looking the other way. If it was any other country there would be heavy sanctions already.

Enemies of Israel love to speak in German and obnoxiously suggest that modern Israeli government policies are equivalent to Hitler's Nazi Third Reich. We don't wonder why.

I also don't like those right wing settlers. It's enough to oppose policies and actions without saying they are the same as Nazis.

Edited by Jingthing

It is sad to see how Israel pushes further on its "Unser Volk braucht Raum" policy and the international community just looking the other way. If it was any other country there would be heavy sanctions already.

Enemies of Israel love to speak in German and obnoxiously suggest that modern Israeli government policies are equivalent to Hitler's Nazi Third Reich. We don't wonder why.

I also don't like those right wing settlers. It's enough to oppose policies and actions without saying they are the same as Nazis.

Fair comment.

Though I do wonder how many of those 'right wingers' who stormed the military outpost never served in the army due to religious exemptions.

Fair comment.

Though I do wonder how many of those 'right wingers' who stormed the military outpost never served in the army due to religious exemptions.

It's hard to say. There are different kinds of religious types there. Yes, many avoid military service and no doubt many secular Israelis are very annoyed at that.

Edited by Jingthing

Amazingly none of these Israeli rioters, or "self made" terrorists, were subject to tear gas attacks, or to have tear gas canisters fired directly at them. I guess that only happens during peaceful protests by Palestinians.

I think the numbers weren't really that high to require tear gas, and the soldiers evicted them BY FORCE though... so I am not sure what you're on about. The IDF and other Officials condemn this type of violent action, and will seek to arrest the rioters.

Rule of law is expected to exist is Israel, but when we start involving the Palestinians, I am afraid it really is plain terrorism, and arrests/investigations are very difficult indeed since the Palestinians hide in hospitals and schools.

I am afraid of the Palestinians even when they aren't rioting, they have very little respect for us infidels and can act quite violently.

The IDF is tasked to protect settlers and Israeli citizens. West bank Palestinian protesters are usually not Israeli citizens, even though 20 percent of Israeli citizens are Arab. Not exactly surprising that their citizens would be more likely to get a softer touch. Interestingly, the Paletinians leaders have announced if/when they get an official Palestinian state that not one Jew will be allowed. It's popular to call Israelis racists, but I suggest there are two sides in the conflict.

BTW, anyone expecting a quick fix for peace in that region is sadly mistaken. Its getting WORSE, not better.

Edited by Jingthing

The IDF is tasked to protect settlers and Israeli citizens. West bank Palestinian protesters are usually not Israeli citizens, even though 20 percent of Israeli citizens are Arab. Not exactly surprising that their citizens would be more likely to get a softer touch. Interestingly, the Paletinians leaders have announced if/when they get an official Palestinian state that not one Jew will be allowed. It's popular to call Israelis racists, but I suggest there are two sides in the conflict.

BTW, anyone expecting a quick fix for peace in that region is sadly mistaken. Its getting WORSE, not better.

Your point about Israeli/Palestinian demographics is usually just ignored by Israel haters.