New Bbq Rest. On Sol Lenkee

gguy

I tried the new BBQ rest. on Soi Lenkee next to China Garden and Jolly Friar.

Excellent.

Had full rack of ribs (hot and very tasty), corn (disappointing--cold), cole slaw (good), onion rings (excellent).

Started with free chips and salsa (good)

Rack costs 460B.

Rest offers chicken, pork sandwiches, mexican food, steaks, and thai food.

NO ++ PRICING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"460B.

NO ++ PRICING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

So I should think. 460B (nearly GBP10) is already a very high price indeed.

You can do the seafood lunch buffet at the Hilton for less.

Ribs are fairly expensive at most places. The ribs were very high quality, very meaty with little fat.

"460B.

Ribs are fairly expensive at most places. The ribs were very high quality, very meaty with little fat.

From what another poster described it appears yet another person is trying to open a BBQ place without offering any real smoked BBQ, except ribs. Where is the smoked beef and sausage?

"460B.

i had a half rack of ribs, baked potato and fixings in a restaurant in Robinsons Siracha it was 109 baht no ++

I have had lots of cheap ribs that were not great, but if these would be "7 out of 10" in America, they may be worth the price. :)

To me it's not only "worth the price" but it's one of the best deals in Pattaya at the moment for western food. As I said in my review in the other thread, I got 4 full meals, and I mean substantial meals, from a rack of ribs. That's 125 baht per meal--an *excellent* price for high quality western food, let alone barbecue. Even a decent Thai meal can cost that much, unless you're just going to have a small portion over rice (lad kao) for 40 baht.

One of the best deals in Pattaya for sure.

i had a half rack of ribs, baked potato and fixings in a restaurant in Robinsons Siracha it was 109 baht no ++

There are ribs and there are ribs. If the 'half rack' from Sri Racha was as much as a quarter of the rack I had from Lone Star, I would be shocked. In addition, the method of cooking is key for ribs. Again I would be shocked if the ribs you had were dry rubbed beforehand and then smoked for many hours--the proper method for 'bbq' ribs. Most places parboil the ribs and then finish them on a grill--it's just not the same.

There are ribs and there are ribs. If the 'half rack' from Sri Racha was as much as a quarter of the rack I had from Lone Star, I would be shocked. In addition, the method of cooking is key for ribs. Again I would be shocked if the ribs you had were dry rubbed beforehand and then smoked for many hours--the proper method for 'bbq' ribs. Most places parboil the ribs and then finish them on a grill--it's just not the same.

no need to be shocked, i am sure you are correct and its highly likely these would be better in size in quality but i was actually commenting on the post that said ribs are fairly expensive at most places

this was a generalization i wanted to comment on and in fact we were both off topic for Lonestar

the ones i had were ok, they were sizzler style at half the price of sizzler

i have found Siracha to be cheaper in many respects than Pattaya......

To me it's not only "worth the price" but it's one of the best deals in Pattaya at the moment for western food. As I said in my review in the other thread, I got 4 full meals, and I mean substantial meals, from a rack of ribs. That's 125 baht per meal--an *excellent* price for high quality western food, let alone barbecue. Even a decent Thai meal can cost that much, unless you're just going to have a small portion over rice (lad kao) for 40 baht.

I dont understand. Is this 460B the price of one meal or four?

If four people can eat for 460B, that's a good price.

Or do you get huge portions that you can take home?

He got the baby back ribs for 460b, I got the St. Louis ribs (to go) for 490b, so I can only comment on the St. Louis ribs. It was a full rack of ribs and was very heavy. I would be shocked if the ribs alone were less than a kilo. In addition, I got two sides, macaroni and cheese and potato salad--both substantial portions (half a kilo each?), and a whole cob of corn.

I got a total of 4 meals out of what I got, 4 big farang-sized meals. I'd estimate it was 20 meaty ribs plus the sides.

Edit: About the website, I couldn't find one, but they have a presence on door-to-door or the other delivery service.

Edited by Jimmyd

1324181069[/url]' post='4919875']
1324177705[/url]' post='4919753']

He got the baby back ribs for 460b, I got the St. Louis ribs (to go) for 490b, so I can only comment on the St. Louis ribs. It was a full rack of ribs and was very heavy. I would be shocked if the ribs alone were less than a kilo. In addition, I got two sides, macaroni and cheese and potato salad--both substantial portions (half a kilo each?), and a whole cob of corn.

I got a total of 4 meals out of what I got, 4 big farang-sized meals. I'd estimate it was 20 meaty ribs plus the sides.

Edit: About the website, I couldn't find one, but they have a presence on door-to-door or the other delivery service.

Jimmy thanks for that I will have a look at door to door

A kilo of ribs from the market 120 baht (nice and meaty)

dry rub consisting of cumin, coriander, mustard, paprika, salt, pepper 20 baht

cooked in the oven in a tray covered in foil for 2 hours, electric 4 units 16 baht

then put on the bbq for 5 mins, absolutely delicious, and a few beers, and nice and relaxing at home with a few friends

Sorry, but the ribs at Cherries are not bbq'ed. They are boiled or steamed and then grilled. They are not good if you understand what good ribs should be like.

BBQ is a whole culture in the US. Lone Star is the closest to that of all restaurants in Thailand in my experience.

A kilo of ribs from the market 120 baht (nice and meaty)

dry rub consisting of cumin, coriander, mustard, paprika, salt, pepper 20 baht

cooked in the oven in a tray covered in foil for 2 hours, electric 4 units 16 baht

then put on the bbq for 5 mins, absolutely delicious, and a few beers, and nice and relaxing at home with a few friends

Plus you have to cook some potato salad and mac and cheese and corn and barbecue sauce (and buy ingredients for those things as well). After many hours of work, you *might* save a couple hundred baht. Again, Lone Star is great value.

Oh, and you won't have barbecued ribs, you'll have grilled ribs.

Edited by Jimmyd

Excellent.

Had full rack of ribs (hot and very tasty), corn (disappointing--cold), cole slaw (good), onion rings (excellent).

Rack costs 460B.

What? No ++ pricing.

So the service charge and tax are hidden?....

Excellent.

Rack costs 460B.

What? No ++ pricing.

Maybe they will let you pay it in addition. Most restaurants in Pattaya do it this way, I.e., the price on the menu is the price you pay.

You can certainly go to a Net++ place and pay an extra 17% again, Sunset Tacos will let you.

Maybe if you are in Texas, but they are pretty good for Thailand.

I actually find the ribs at Cherry's a big disappointment, though I really like their salad bar. If I want that style of boiled, grilled ribs I'd prefer the ones at the Tex-Mex buffet at Beefeater's on the weekends from noon to 4. 250 baht, plus three kinds of chili, roast beef, chicken, potato salad, etc, etc. Another good value place.

Edited by Jimmyd

Excellent.

Rack costs 460B.

What? No ++ pricing.

Maybe they will let you pay it in addition. Most restaurants in Pattaya do it this way, I.e., the price on the menu is the price you pay.

You can certainly go to a Net++ place and pay an extra 17% again, Sunset Tacos will let you.

The barbecued ribs are 460 on the menu.

If the Barbacue place charged you 380++ for those ribs would you be unhappy?

Should Sunrise print a menu with the tax, service charge added up?

The mind boggles.

Excellent.

Rack costs 460B.

What? No ++ pricing.

The barbecued ribs are 460 on the menu.

If the Barbacue place charged you 380++ for those ribs would you be unhappy?

Should Sunrise print a menu with the tax, service charge added up?

The mind boggles.

It boggles for the dimwitted newbies. The norm in Pattaya is to not charge Nett++ separately.

But worry not, there will be ample ways for you to part with your money in Pattaya before you learn the ropes.

as its vaguely mexican resto related, the owner should register as a forum sponsor on TV

he might get 20 pages out of it then, especially if he can get jingthing involved

shouldn't be difficult, he was asking about it even before it opened...........

Edited by timekeeper