Turpentine

doppa

Vidhyasom Co.,Ltd. in Bangkok [02-381-7100-2, fax 02-711-1195] produces a very good quality turpentine in 450 ml. bottles.

Likisin Art Store used to carry it but they haven't had it for awhile. I've been looking everywhere for it, but no luck so far. I'm going to contact the company directly if I can't find it soon. I just hope they're still in business.

The alternatives are the very expensive imported brands, Rowney, W/N, le Franc&Bourgois, etc., and the local stuff, Fishook, Whale, and others. Nahmahn sohn they call it, but it's not turpentine at all, although it can be used for cleaning brushes. I wouldn't use it for mixing with paint.

Choke dee. I hope you find something.

Home Mall and Chararee Homes have it (in the north) and Global. I bet any store with decent paint selections will have it. I even found they (some one) "repackages" it in different sized bottles for the DIYer who needs very little for a single, small job (like I did).

Home Pro is an excellent store with a large stock of goods on offer. Turpentine, however is not one of them. What they sell is nahm-mahn sohn. A reasonable translation of turpentine. Nahm-mahn-oil; [dtohn]sohn-pine tree.

But it's not the real thing.

The OP, judging by his specific request seems to know the difference.

Genuine turpentine is a distillate,or essential oil of pine, fir, or balsam resin.

What Thai companies sell here, with the sole exception that I mentioned in my first reply, is a synthetic solvent of some sort, but not turpentine.

Synthetics have largely replaced turpentine for industrial use. In the fine arts, the real thing has never been improved upon and is still preferable.