The Tide Is High.... Yay Merry Christmas Eh?

sbk

Ban Kai on Koh P, neighbors place -- its coming up to our front step and still on the rise. Happens yearly but with beach erosion its getting closer and closer to our place. When I moved here years ago, our beach was probably 3 meters from beginning of sand to tide line, now its probably one meter and with very high tides and winds, it comes up to our front step.

I am 100km East of Koh Samui and we have had up to 5 metre waves going through today. Put that on top of an exceptionally high tide and no surprise the sea is coming inland a bit. The good news is the waves should have peaked today,and be going down over the next few days.

Cheers

I am 100km East of Koh Samui and we have had up to 5 metre waves going through today. Put that on top of an exceptionally high tide and no surprise the sea is coming inland a bit. The good news is the waves should have peaked today,and be going down over the next few days.

Cheers

100 kms off shorer. what u doing r u a samui pirate?

Cheers

100 kms off shorer. what u doing r u a samui pirate?

http://www.samuipirates.com/ is not a yacht club.

Not a boat , an oil and gas facility. In March when the waves were 7 metres I was on a boat until we called it quits and went and hid behind Koh Samui.

Waves currently 1.5 to 3 metres, and trending down.

Cheers

post-58494-0-49762600-1324863699_thumb.j post-58494-0-90299000-1324863692_thumb.j

Yesterday, at 12.00, around Srithanu, the small river/port is huge and some boats have sunk. The road to Chills resort is partly flooded.

Instead this was the sea in Chaloklum yesterday:

The couple walking out along the pier obviously have faith in a higher power! bizarrely risky.

Thanks for the Video!

Chaloklam always gets seriously battered when big waves hit, we've been sandbagging.

Do you know if Haad Yuan is being hit heavy now as well?

Anything on the north or east facing side will be hit harder than the south and west, which is where we are at

Yesterday the classic Christmas beach cleaning done by Green Cross volunteers in Haad Rin has been suspended due to the big waves and the extraordinary high tide make the beach completely disappear. The waves follow the monsoon direction so they are coming from North-East and all the beach on the East side of the island are hit, more or less.

Edited by angiud

Well, when this is all over, the beaches will be clean.

Whats left of them that is, these kinds of waves do one of two things depending on currents, take massive amounts of sand off the beach, or add to them, but usually its the former rather than the latter

Not a boat , an oil and gas facility. In March when the waves were 7 metres I was on a boat until we called it quits and went and hid behind Koh Samui.

Waves currently 1.5 to 3 metres, and trending down.

Cheers

i have accidently pressed the report button many times. just note that. accident.

did your stomache churn or are u one strong muda

Whats left of them that is, these kinds of waves do one of two things depending on currents, take massive amounts of sand off the beach, or add to them, but usually its the former rather than the latter

is it the end of the world as we know it?

Tides been high & rough for a couple of weeks now.

I've seen rough seas at Mae Haad & Koh Ma before, but never seen tides so high there.... (where these were taken) .....

That day I took the pictures, it was really calm in Tongsala... but ride back to Samui, was a little rough!

Not good for the tour boat companies who should be getting into full swing, now....

post-85461-0-08255400-1324953197_thumb.j

post-85461-0-09292800-1324953216_thumb.j

is it the end of the world as we know it?

well it kinda sucks when you live right on the beach and have seen it come creeping closer and closer to your doorstep year after year, we are sandbagging our front step for the first time ever.

But I am sure that if its not your house its all very humorous. smile.png

...these kinds of waves do one of two things depending on currents, take massive amounts of sand off the beach, or add to them, but usually its the former rather than the latter

On Bantai, these kinds of waves take massive amounts of dangerous garbage (plastic, fishing nets & broken bottles from fishermen, asbestos and demolition rubble from other local lowlife) and break it up all over beaches, all the way to Thongsala.

• 4 weeks later...