Taps Restricting Water Flow

haveaniceday

In the hardware stores I see most taps for the bathroom are 90' on /off. I mean, the handle moves through 90' and the water inlet when open is somewhat restricted by the on / off internal mechanism. For a tap to a on the wall little hot water heater that is ok as the flow is restricted in the heater anyway, but what about from a hot water tank and cold water to say, fill the bath, is this restricting the flow to a point of being annoying, compared to to rotate and rotate on /off tap that opens up to nearly half an inch?

Right, the 90 degree type would be a ball valve. For unrestricted flow then specifically a full bore ball valve will achieve that. You can examine a valve at the store to see if it is full bore or restricted. The rotate and rotate type is called a gate valve. There is no need for this type.

The crux of the matter is in order to fill a bath you want bigger than the de facto 1/2" water pipe. Otherwise it will take so much time to fill that by the time it fills it will be too cold. Note commercial faucets use 3/4" pipe to increase the flow and that's just for a kitchen sink. Also trying to fill a tub using a wall mount heater intended for a shower head is not going to provide enough flow either. So on both the hot and cold side you have some challenges because your needs are different than typical thai households.

Thanks, the cold water PVC is 3/4 inch, but the hot water is 1/2 inch, as I put the half inch pie inside 3/4 PCV so it doesn't touch the walls. Just going to put a bit of rubber stuff around the joins. I am trying to avoid cracking in the render, tiles etc with hot water pipes in the walls just behind them.

I had a look yesterday in Global, most of the ball ones are, well simple and dam_n ugly. I will see how it goes.

Definitely want to source a tub filler valve, not a lavatory faucet... Look at Grohe, Hafele, Toto, Kohler. These arent cheap, but you only need one, i'm guessing. then there's the water pressure portion of the equation... you may want to crank it up a bit. Then 1/2" supply should work even as 3/4 would be better.