Naive Question?

AjarnP

Hi folks down there.

Two of us are planning a cycling trip from Bangkok to Singapore soon(ish). From the reports on some Thai TV channels, the chances of getting through the last bit heading south safely appear pretty grim.

What's you opinion? Is it safe enough now? What would be the best route too please?

Thanks for your advice.

AjarnP

Something may happen to you, but it probably won`t. Who can really say?  I would be more afraid of pi$$ed up motorists than al - Quaeda wannabees.

What you have planned sounds like quite an adventure - I would say go for it!Would I put my money where my mouth is? Yes.

Edited by baboon

If you a proper route across the border, you'll be absolutely fine. Following the Asia highway until Hatyai and then turn left in the direction of Sadao; cross the order either at Danok or Padang Besa (the first one the is the busiest one with all the tourists from Malaysia and Singapore coming through) and you'll completely avoid the three problem provinces all together.

-Matt

• Like 1

Most of people talk as hearsay. The Rod to Had Yai and to the border at Sadao, along the Asia Highway, is 100% sure because is far from the districts where terrorists/separatists operate (Yala, Pattani nad Narathiwat).

And the highways in Malaysia are by far better than those in Thailand. No Animals, bikes, shops, etc are on your road!

If you a proper route across the border, you'll be absolutely fine. Following the Asia highway until Hatyai and then turn left in the direction of Sadao; cross the order either at Danok or Padang Besa (the first one the is the busiest one with all the tourists from Malaysia and Singapore coming through) and you'll completely avoid the three problem provinces all together.

-Matt

-Matt

I've actually done this three times now, twice going north and once south. Sure there is an insurgency going on and there is a chance that you could become a target but if you understand and accept that, its a absolutely fantastic place to cycle. As far as routes, I assume that you begin in Hat Yai. Going to Pattani you kind of don't have a lot of choice as to the road, there is just the main highway. Where the main highway meets the gulf there are a few resorts where you can stay, or else just go to Pattani for the night. From Pattani to Narathiwat, stay on the main highway going south, but then you can turn towards the gulf arain at Panare, from there you can follow the coast south to Saiburi where you connect back to the main road, but for just a short bit as you can return to the gulf on some smaller roads until the 4136 which takes you to Narathiwat. From there continue south to Tak Bai where you can enter Malaysia or take the 4057 from Tak Bai to Sungai Kolok. I'd recommend getting a Think Net map and taking a look at it, maybe you want to go to Yala also, as its kind of interesting there. Here is a journal that I did for one of my trips, this is going south to north however: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=174303&v=9u

You can also take the 4 south from Hat Yai into Malaysia.

In conclusion, a lot of people that haven't ridden a bike down there will tell you how dangerous it is, but the people that have done it, such as myself, will tell you that its a great place to cycle with people that actually seem happy that you are visiting their part of the country. Have a good trip.

Great thanks to Matt and EastbayBob for the most useful information.

PM me your contact numbers and we could meet for a beer in HY or ???

BTW, Bob, when did you do your North-SOuth Trip? I was a little concerned about the monsoon winds and can't figure out how to make sure the wind is blowing up my "fizik"

Cheers, both

I was there in December when I went north but I also went south through the same area in February, and honestly the wind was not a factor on either one of those trips all through Southern Thailand and Malaysia. The rain in December was kind of annoying at times but that was the only climactic issue, and it was kind of minor.

I think when it comes down to it, you should base whatever route you take on your planned route through Malaysia. It just really depends if you want to go down the East or West Coasts.