New Site Might Be Needed For Thai Parliament Complex

webfact

NEW PARLIAMENT

New site might be needed for Parliament complex

The Nation

30173665-01_big.JPG

A new location may have to be found for the new Parliament complex, which was going to be constructed at a site in Bangkok's Kiak Kai area, Deputy House Speaker Charoen Chankomol said yesterday.

"The relocation proposal will be raised with House Speaker Somsak Kiartsuranont on Monday," he said in his capacity as committee chairman in charge of Parliament construction work.

Charoen said the new site would be chosen from plots available in Nonthaburi's Pak Kret district and in Saraburi.

He explained that a new site had to be considered because the Kiak Kai location was plagued with problems, such as the risk of flooding, the landscape being compromised due to the planned construction of a new bridge over the Chao Phraya River and a delay on land appropriation.

If the present site is used, he said, the construction deadline would have to be extended from 2013 to 2017, while the complex would be completed in time if either of the two plots were to be used. However, he admitted that the Pak Kret plot, which is being used by the Royal Irrigation Department as a golf course, would put several caddies out of work.

As for the plot in Saraburi being about 100 kilometres outside Bangkok, he argued that the distance might not pose a problem because a high-speed train network is planned for the route.

He said that he has invited representatives from the city administration and other relevant agencies in charge of the two pieces of land to attend the meeting on Monday and voice their views on the matter.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-13

Pak Kret was badly affected by the floods. But my main query is what is wrong with the existing building. No one seems able to answer this simple question.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. This is just another ploy to skim off more millions.

Pak Kret was badly affected by the floods. But my main query is what is wrong with the existing building. No one seems able to answer this simple question.

My original post was too facetious, so there is nothing left of it....sorry. Something to do with Zoos anyway.

Edited by draftvader

Thailand is showing the world that it is a real Banana Monarchy. Every decade a new parliament building, a new Bourse and every coup a new constitution. It is not necessary, it is too expensive and it does not show any respect for the past. Imagine when The English would change their parliament because it is too old....

People need to look into the ownership of the plots of lands on which parliaments, bourses and other government controlled companies and ministries are build. I bet that the elite is standing to make a fortune on it again.

• Like 1

Thailand is showing the world that it is a real Banana Monarchy. Every decade a new parliament building, a new Bourse and every coup a new constitution. It is not necessary, it is too expensive and it does not show any respect for the past. Imagine when The English would change their parliament because it is too old....

People need to look into the ownership of the plots of lands on which parliaments, bourses and other government controlled companies and ministries are build. I bet that the elite is standing to make a fortune on it again.

Like the journalist in Phuket?

The PTP elite this time.

Reduce the number of politicans by half and you wont even need a new parliament house. Its absurd to even consider building a new complex for these corrupt freeloaders. They only turn up to parliament when theyre offered extra money to attend useless meetings. 5000 baht per meeting isnt it?

• Like 1

May I be so bold as to suggest the Parliament Buildings be constructed on a nearby Army Base. The Thai Generals won't have so far to travel, when they next pounce on the Parliament, as they surely will do. They must pad their Swiss Bank Accounts, for their future Pension Plans. It is easier it is to purloin money directly from the Thai Finance Ministry, than to direct fighting on the Myanmar or Kampuchean Borders, where one concievebly might encounter mis-fired Rockets or Mortars.