Thais Fall Too Easily For Rumour And Superstition

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girlfriend is a big believer in ghosts,and it drives me daft..... i tell her 100 times not to worry, no ghosts are going to come and get us, but she still believes in them...... i guess they are all over the tv, so why wouldnt she believe....

LUKE................AARGHHH! ....I AM YOUR FATHER.....! AAAARGHHHH! (stars wars)

anyone has ever seen when thais put a pork head on the altar for the dead old ancesters ? I can respect that as any other religious background. But what gets me laughing is that the pork head doesn't last too long on the mini temple... the neighbours run to sneak it and ...EAT IT.. where is the logic?

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, use default forum font when posting.

How many footballers (all good Catholic boys), as they come on to the field of play, touch the turf and make the sign of the cross? Or how many look up to Heaven after scoring a goal. God helps them score goals, you see. But what happens when you miss an open goal? Work of Satan?

Torres must have made a pact with The Devil...!

I have tried my best to convince Thais that ghosts don't exist any more than UFOs and that the only thing worth worshipping is the sun because unlike all the other 'gods' if that doesn't show up one morning then it really is time to start praying.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

I wonder how many farangs who laugh at thai's believing in ghosts also believe about that bloke called jesus who they claim died, came back to life, and made wine out of water , oh and his mum was a virgin too.

Agreed. I dam_n sure don't, though. None of that silly nonsense makes it into my day, so I am free to laugh (quietly to myself, of course). I tend to laugh at anyone (myself included when/if I do it) who believes in something they most certainly cannot reasonably explain.

I am at a loss as to why you would bring Our Lord and Saviour into this thread. Jesus is the way and the light. may he forgive you both for your unbelieving ways. If I read anything more as regards santa and the tooth fairy not being real, believe me, I will find you. unbelievers. angry.png

I wonder how many farangs who laugh at thai's believing in ghosts also believe about that bloke called jesus who they claim died, came back to life, and made wine out of water , oh and his mum was a virgin too.

And I wonder how many believe life just came from water and water...

I'm an athiest and i wont bother going into the whole God debate. From what I understand many Thais dont have a massive education by Western standards so I could understand them being easily convinced with by these things. That doesn't explain the hisos?

I'm happy enough with my girlfriend being a buddhist but it angers me a bit when they pretend they become possessed by spirits. A lot of these possessed states involve drink and dancing.

Lots of farang seem possessed on the weekend in the bars and clubs. Then there's the nonsense about ghosts etc. Give me a break!

I try to explain but she says 'you don't understand' lol.

Has this author never seen the ridiculous rumours and urban legends that are passed around and believed by many foriegners on Facebook? I can't believe the ridiculous chain emails some of my relatives pass around.

No - guess I am blessed or just grew up in another coluntry than you.

And I wonder how many believe life just came from water and water...

No-one.

Were you home-schooled?

And millions of Westerners believe in a supernatural God.....

Indeed - but we are mixing apples and oranges here.

Religion comes from brainwashing of kids, group-pressure or an adults need to belong.

Superstition and belief in the unexplained comes from lack of education as enough education will remove most belief in the unexplained as it becomes explained.

Edited by TAWP

So in which country people are not falling for rumors and superstition?

Anybody remember, WMD in Iraq? Could this be qualified as rumor (a very well organised one though)?

Also, hollywood produces the largest number of ghost movies than any other country... any thought?

So in which country people are not falling for rumors and superstition?

Anybody remember, WMD in Iraq? Could this be qualified as rumor (a very well organised one though)?

Also, hollywood produces the largest number of ghost movies than any other country... any thought?

A note, Japan most likely produce more ghost movies than Hollywood.

In addition to that I like sci-fi and fantasy movies, the latter including ghost and in base religious movies (ex Omen, Spawn, Hellraiser and The Exorcist).

That doesn't mean I belive in ghosts - I watch the movies as a flight from reality, as if they existed. I don't think there exists 3m tall blue people either, but I highly enjoyed the movie.

Edited by TAWP

Thais fall too easily for rumour and superstition. Oh so true...to the nth power!

Thats true but they don't need "Social Media" to spread it the jungle grape vine does it faster. Was 1998 (I think) that they found a new fault off Phuket, some official said it could trigger a sumami and within hours my wife was trying to drag me off to a high ground Wat. And for days the beach vendors disappeared

Somehow the different superstitions (different that that which we have in a Western style Culture) that the Thais have can be rather cute.

Every time my girlfriend (ALL the past gf’s) and I stay the night in a new hotel room, I ask ‘Honey, which side of the bed do you want to sleep on’ … there is a small pause while a quick risk assessment is carried on the most likely path, window or door, that the ghost might enter.

After deciding that the door is the most likely entry point I am politely asked to sleep on that side … i.e. between the door and her, thus reducing the (her) risk.

What have I done by that … with a few quick words, demonstrated that I am a caring and sensitive boyfriend … zero emotional cost … better still … zero money cost also!

Are we talking poorly educated woman folk, no! … the two most recent episodes were both university graduated, one being a manager in an international company and the other having worked on a cruise ship for over 4 years (and hence a strong exposure to Western Culture).

The mind is a powerful force … you only have to believe in it for it to be true … true for you (her) that is … I reserve my right to disagree however!

Sure … it can annoy the ‘bejesus’ out of you … but like all things in Thailand, turn the negative into a positive and have some fun with it.

The more you try and change a Thai girl … the more she will resist you … better to not have her ‘resist’ you.

Remember … if two men say they’re Jesus … one of them must be wrong!

I find your denegration of religion to be un-called for and offensive. I'll have you know I found Jesus recently and he has helped change my life. Both he and Santa were having a beer along Walking Street and offered me sound spiritual advice regarding the company I was keeping.

Funny thing is, i kind of believe in J myself, but am aware enough not to laugh at other peoples beliefs as a consequence.......

... and there is one of the main problems: we cannot discuss rationally religious believes, even if they are pure delusion. We are taught to "respect" other people's beliefs. But if you substitute "Jesus" with any other name and tell his story, you probably end up in a mental institution. Yet, as soon as the J-word is mentioned, we all bow and shut up. Strange, how rational thinking disappears in front of what people call "religion".

Thais fall too easily for rumour and superstition. Oh so true...to the nth power!

Thats true but they don't need "Social Media" to spread it the jungle grape vine does it faster. Was 1998 (I think) that they found a new fault off Phuket, some official said it could trigger a sumami and within hours my wife was trying to drag me off to a high ground Wat. And for days the beach vendors disappeared

Seems a shame they didn't actually do anything about it and put proper warning systems in place - could have saved a few lives 6 years later.

Agreed. I dam_n sure don't, though. None of that silly nonsense makes it into my day, so I am free to laugh (quietly to myself, of course). I tend to laugh at anyone (myself included when/if I do it) who believes in something they most certainly cannot reasonably explain.

I am at a loss as to why you would bring Our Lord and Saviour into this thread. Jesus is the way and the light. may he forgive you both for your unbelieving ways. If I read anything more as regards santa and the tooth fairy not being real, believe me, I will find you. unbelievers. angry.png

That's all the World needs right now. A Christian jihad. jap.gif

Of course this is true and I should know as your fortune teller, how do you think I make my money? If you dont like my first prediction on the turn of the cards, have another go 50bts a time, this weekend I am doing 3 for the price of 2! Now what would you like to hear, or, would you like me to tell you the numbers on the log for the lottery?

I just want to share my experience of 3 to 4 days ago...

Well, i had to let my car at the Toyota garage for a 1 full day of work on it (fixing some stuff) at around 60 km far from home, then I told my wife to call her sister to ask her if she could give us her car all the day for don't be without car in the middle of nowhere and come back home while my car was beeing fixed. Of course she said yes!... Then we went to pick it at my in-law house.

Then while driving way to the garage I drove the in-law's car and my wife drove our car to the place we had to leave our car, and as I was trying to set up the main roof mirror, I found it quite impossible to see a shit through it. Why ? BECAUSE THE OWNER OF THE CAR PUT AROUND THE MIRROR 2 OR 3 METAL NECKLACES AND CHAINS WITH PLENTY MONK'S MEDALS AND A BIG MESS THERE !!!

Crazy, it was materially impossible to use the mirror, but these people believe that the medals and plenty other stuff will protect them from having an accident ?!?! More easy and logical to think that it is the fact of not seeing a shit that will get you in trouble not ?

Then i opened the ashtray and.... 1 kind of mini scarf red colour with drawings in black colour : it is sensed block the entry to the car for the ghosts.....

Of course when i looked to the roof of the car i saw some kind of whithe drawing finger made by a monk, also in the way to bring some kind of good luck.

fuc_k ! It is a brand new car and they destroyed the interior tapisserie yet! Ha Ha Ha !! The most amazing is that the owner of that car ( the sister of my wife is young, i mean 32 years old i guess) but she spend her free time visiting the sorcerers and any kind of medium in order to get back her Thai husband who got a 'mia noi' just after the birth of their 1st daughter yet !!! They have 4 children.

What a pity these people !

Well, i had to let my car at the Toyota garage for a 1 full day of work on it (fixing some stuff) at around 60 km far from home, then I told my wife to call her sister to ask her if she could give us her car all the day for don't be without car in the middle of nowhere and come back home while my car was beeing fixed. Of course she said yes!... Then we went to pick it at my in-law house.

Then while driving way to the garage I drove the in-law's car and my wife drove our car to the place we had to leave our car, and as I was trying to set up the main roof mirror, I found it quite impossible to see a shit through it. Why ? BECAUSE THE OWNER OF THE CAR PUT AROUND THE MIRROR 2 OR 3 METAL NECKLACES AND CHAINS WITH PLENTY MONK'S MEDALS AND A BIG MESS THERE !!!

Crazy, it was materially impossible to use the mirror, but these people believe that the medals and plenty other stuff will protect them from having an accident ?!?! More easy and logical to think that it is the fact of not seeing a shit that will get you in trouble not ?

Then i opened the ashtray and.... 1 kind of mini scarf red colour with drawings in black colour : it is sensed block the entry to the car for the ghosts.....

Of course when i looked to the roof of the car i saw some kind of whithe drawing finger made by a monk, also in the way to bring some kind of good luck.

fuc_k ! It is a brand new car and they destroyed the interior tapisserie yet! Ha Ha Ha !! The most amazing is that the owner of that car ( the sister of my wife is young, i mean 32 years old i guess) but she spend her free time visiting the sorcerers and any kind of medium in order to get back her Thai husband who got a 'mia noi' just after the birth of their 1st daughter yet !!! They have 4 children.

A little hard on the eyes with that big font for me, but funny as h3ll! Yes, cover that mirror with religious relics obstructing your view and rendering it much less useful! That will protect you.

Sadly, the same types of things happen the world over with all sorts of religious people from varying superstitions, ... I mean religions.

But, I know praying to my god works because I prayed for it rain yesterday, and my god answered my prayers!! I am so happy.

A little hard on the eyes with that big font for me, but funny as h3ll! Yes, cover that mirror with religious relics obstructing your view and rendering it much less useful! That will protect you.

Sadly, the same types of things happen the world over with all sorts of religious people from varying superstitions, ... I mean religions.

But, I know praying to my god works because I prayed for it rain yesterday, and my god answered my prayers!! I am so happy.

Yes ! I understand. Me too i belive in "God", or somehow like that. I just found it funny to act in such manner, by my in law...you know ? she didn't discover the hot water, na krap... 555

• 6 months later...

Sadly, they aren't the only ones. The western cultures are rife with superstitions, Father, Son & Holy Ghost and The Virgin Mary notwithstanding.

Here's a few Thais would surely enjoy.

Common Superstitions

• Friday the thirteenth is an unlucky day
  • A rabbit's foot brings good luck
  • An apple a day keeps the doctor away
  • To find a four-leaf clover is to find good luck
  • If you walk under a ladder, you will have bad luck
  • If a black cat crosses your path you will have bad luck
  • To break a mirror will bring you seven years bad luck
  • To open an umbrella in the house is to bring bad luck
  • To find a horseshoe brings good luck
  • Step on a crack, break your mother's back
  • You can break a bad luck spell by turning seven times in a clockwise circle
  • Garlic protects from evil spirits and vampires

More here......:http://www.csicop.org/superstition/library/common_superstitions/

smile.png

My girlfriend is a big believer in ghosts,and it drives me daft..... i tell her 100 times not to worry, no ghosts are going to come and get us, but she still believes in them......

Tell her you're good at exorcism.

• Like 1