Monacled Cobra To Kill Or Not To Kill

Yesterday I had a Monacled Cobra in my front garden (see the picture)

now where I live we have a communal pool and gardens, at present we have about 3 families with young children.

After generally anoying the snake so it stood up and flared it's neck, I got some great pictures of it in all it's glory I then just let it go on it's way.

I now understand that the families complained to the management company saying it should have been killed, and to be honest, after reading that it is

Thailands most venomous snake and is far more dangerous than a king Cobra, with having these young children about I'm not sure if it should have lost it's head, literally.

what do you think?post-103621-0-59872700-1326885584_thumb.post-103621-0-58176900-1326886235_thumb.

• Like 2

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please don't kill that snake. reference that number even if it's disappeared momentarily. i've nevered called it so i can't really vouch for it but that snake is going to eat all of the nuisance snakes that you might feel are a threat but are in fact completely harmless and keep the rest of the eco system in check. i've got a house full of kids and obviously want them to be protected. that snake is only a threat if you aren't tending to your local area and watching over things. he's most likely not going to enter a yard where a few kids are playing noisily, he's not going to seek you out for his next meal. he'll follow a snake though so keep your grass cut and don't leave small objects/hiding places lying around and you'll all be just fine. relocate him please.

• Like 1

please don't kill that snake. reference that number even if it's disappeared momentarily. i've nevered called it so i can't really vouch for it but that snake is going to eat all of the nuisance snakes that you might feel are a threat but are in fact completely harmless and keep the rest of the eco system in check. i've got a house full of kids and obviously want them to be protected. that snake is only a threat if you aren't tending to your local area and watching over things. he's most likely not going to enter a yard where a few kids are playing noisily, he's not going to seek you out for his next meal. he'll follow a snake though so keep your grass cut and don't leave small objects/hiding places lying around and you'll all be just fine. relocate him please.

I now have the number for the snake man, it truely is a beutiful creature.

it's magnificent. thank you for the photos. after six years here i've only seen one up close in nature, and that happened in a very very low density completely non urban area. that snake is near the top of the food chain here. i'm certainly not a snake expert but that thing knows the difference between you and a rat and will adjust its venom accordingly. it's the smaller ones you should be concerned about around houses and small landholdings i think.

I certainly agree with the above posts.. but I will not put childrens lives in danger.. by the time a number is called it could be anywhere within the grounds, and the problem is not that a snake will attack, because normally it's senses know when humans are around and it gets out of the area, but if disturbed by accident and children don't necessarily have the experience, then there is danger.

totster :D

You should have called the snake man. He could have removed it to a safer place in the jungle then everyone happy. Not sure if i can post his number on here but its always in my phone just in case. Pm me if you want it.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Please do not kill it.

Phil the snake man is pretty good at getting them sorted. (By the way, I was under the impression that they are protected and it is illegal to kill them.)

Most snakes are not naturally aggressive. (Apart from the ones in dodgy bars.) I find that stamping feet and backing off slowly works. Cobras usually flare up when they feel threatened. Mind you, there are mostly king cobras where I live. (Your one is a beaut!) The big sucker that lives near me always leaves me and my staff alone. It has killed the odd dog that has a go at it now again. So, something to think about. If you attack it to kill it, it might just get piised off with you. Only one of you will win. Usually safer to let them go! My cobra has been around for at least 7 years.

Another thought - to deter snakes, my university-educated plant lady swears by sulphur and Aloa Vera to keep snakes out of your area. (Kh Kwan at Big Buddha Garden Centre)

Just kill the sonovabitch. I don't care how beautiful the thing is or who lived here first. Humans live there now ans are endangered by this snake. I wonder how all these feel good people begging you to save the snake would feel if one of their amll children were bitten?

I used to live in Alaska and never traveled in bear country unless well armed. I am reminded of an incident where four anti-gun California tourists were visiting a great fishing spot on the Russian River that was also populated by brown bears. As they were making their way along a trail, a brown bear suddenly stood up and grabbed one of the young men and began mauling him. One of the young women was screaming, "The bear has him! Who has a gun? Oh somebody, please help; who has a gun?" Well she should have thought about that before.

Kill the damned snake. The families that complained were probably Thai, as they seem to be a lot more sensible about these things than 90% of the stupid bleeding heart farangs that really know nothing about living in a dangerous environment, but think they know everything. All Alaskans are armed in bear country. When bears came into a subdivision, they were summarily killed.

Just kill the sonovabitch. I don't care how beautiful the thing is or who lived here first. Humans live there now ans are endangered by this snake. I wonder how all these feel good people begging you to save the snake would feel if one of their amll children were bitten?

I used to live in Alaska and never traveled in bear country unless well armed. I am reminded of an incident where four anti-gun California tourists were visiting a great fishing spot on the Russian River that was also populated by brown bears. As they were making their way along a trail, a brown bear suddenly stood up and grabbed one of the young men and began mauling him. One of the young women was screaming, "The bear has him! Who has a gun? Oh somebody, please help; who has a gun?" Well she should have thought about that before.

Kill the damned snake. The families that complained were probably Thai, as they seem to be a lot more sensible about these things than 90% of the stupid bleeding heart farangs that really know nothing about living in a dangerous environment, but think they know everything. All Alaskans are armed in bear country. When bears came into a subdivision, they were summarily killed.

somewhere, a village is missing its XXXXXX.

Edited by Rooo
  • Like 1

I'm not missing, I'm here. At least idiots can be happy!

I'm not missing, I'm here. At least idiots can be happy!

I really do not know if you are trolling for a reaction or are serious. Nonetheless, you are in Asia, where snakes are common.

Firstly the OP is staying in a villa compound , so I do not think Thai's would have asked him to kill it , but foreigners staying there on holidays.

I understand I can't call a bear handler to take a bear.Different scenarios all together

If it was Thais with such a snake , they would have called the snake farm, for people living here, they call the snake man.

The OP mentioned it never threatened anybody , so perhaps keep your cavalier attitude to yourself, killing everything just to be on the safe side is just pure silliness. There are methods of disposal & ways of repelling unwanted visits .

Well said Roo! But it just goes to show the mentality of the poster. He obviously enjoys pointless killing.

We have had a resident cobra for a number of years. Since his arrival the rat population has taken a hammering.

Not pointless; I eat what I kill. Cobra makes a delightful curry. And I'm NOT trolling. It is delicious. I am certainly not alone in my views about keeping a place populated by humans safe for humans. If the snake were encountered in an unpopulated area or an area of low population density, my view would be completely different. Calling somebody that does not agree with you an "idiot" or a "schmuck" does more to reflect on your own mentality than anything else.

And Roo, I know plenty of Thais where I live in a rural area of southern Phitsanulok that would quickly kill that snake were it encountered here. There would be no thought of calling a "snake handler." I seriously doubt if there is even such a person in my area. My Thai wife never heard of such a person and she is an educated school teacher. And, were the snake killed in my village, it would definitely be eaten. There were dead cobras galore for sale in the local markets during the flooding.

Comparing apples with oranges? You might be killing wild bears in the outback, but as far as I know bears intruding into villages are only killed when repeated attempts to shoe them away don't work. Even then they are trying to catch them and release them somewhere else. Same with alligators in Florida.

Not pointless; I eat what I kill. Cobra makes a delightful curry. And I'm NOT trolling. It is delicious. I am certainly not alone in my views about keeping a place populated by humans safe for humans. If the snake were encountered in an unpopulated area or an area of low population density, my view would be completely different. Calling somebody that does not agree with you an "idiot" or a "schmuck" does more to reflect on your own mentality than anything else.

And Roo, I know plenty of Thais where I live in a rural area of southern Phitsanulok that would quickly kill that snake were it encountered here. There would be no thought of calling a "snake handler." I seriously doubt if there is even such a person in my area. My Thai wife never heard of such a person and she is an educated school teacher. And, were the snake killed in my village, it would definitely be eaten. There were dead cobras galore for sale in the local markets during the flooding.

Woah! This is one serious dude.

I wonder how long it takes to eat a bear . . .

do they have really big ovens in Alaska or does he have to chop it up into smaller bits . . . or maybe rip rip raw chunks off with his bare teeth . . .

R

Edited by Rooo
  • Like 2

classic, give him a rope and he'll hang himself. or at least we can only hope haha. you know, i think he's grown out of the small village idiot role and looking for a larger village.

We don't live in a village . We have workers from the villages, but we do not ( hang on the buffalo got loose again)live village style or eat everything that moves.

• Like 1

If you call snake food then enjoy your meal is all I have to say. An occasional treat for some I believe. What does it taste like?

If you call snake food then enjoy your meal is all I have to say. An occasional treat for some I believe. What does it taste like?

What else? Chicken licklips.gif

What else? Chicken licklips.gif

I thought it might taste more like rat...

Although I don't necessarily support the top view of this posters comment, with the colored response he's spot on. The last thing an average Thai person will do is call a snake handler, never heard of one myself. they would kill it and eat it, seen it various times around the island and have pictures to proof it.

Snake meat is not bad, can be eaten deep fried, fried, cooked etc. Many cities/towns have snake restaurants, there's one in Hat Yai, near the bus station, which is mainly frequented to drink snake blood, not to eat the meat. I don't know of a snake restaurant on Samui but they're definitely caught and eaten here.

Edited by limbos

I will just say this once more. The OP never mentioned a Thai residential compound / area. It's a foreigner frequented rented out villas with communal pool.

Sure you can call a snake handler if you never heard of one, well you have now. The Thais I have seen catch rare , unusual snakes , call the snake farm.

These restaurants etc... sure exist,as sure Thais do eat the snakes, but this whole conversation is getting away from the OP's question.