Bike Repair

Nienke

Hi all,

I've got a 10+ y o Kawasaki GTO (125 CC, I think, 2T, a bit rusty here and there). Always served me well, till one day I got hit in the back, by someone who obviously didn't see my indicator, resulting in a slide of several meters over the asphalt.

After 'repair' problems started. I suspect a crack in the engine, but hear different stories from the mechanics. None of them ever mentioned a crack, btw.

Can anyone recommend a GOOD mechanic, who can have a GOOD look at my bike and tell me the options: to be or not to be repaired, and how much?

Thank you in advance. smile.png

Edited by Nienke

Okay, good question: specify the problems .... uhhhh ... haven't used it in ages.

But my ex used it till he got fed up and brought it back.

So, his input:

Too much oil goes into the engine. Leaking oil from the exhaust. Piston needs to be checked. And the whole rest of the engine. Starting problems (because of too much oil in the engine?). Sometimes the engine looses power while riding it. Most possible that the whole engine needs to be rebuild.

The bike is for sure a 2T: petrol and autolub (= Thai word for, I suppose, 2T oil) has to be put in.

I've been to the Kawasaki shop with my bike ages ago, and weren't impressed with their service, hence me looking elsewhere.

And overtime, the bike has been cleaned up and repaired several times by different mechanics. Each time it will run for maybe a week and then kindly indicates to me that I can better walk. :(

Now, I could consider to buy another 2nd hand bike. But I like my rusty old bike and if repair/rebuild/change the engine costs are much lower than a 2nd hand Honda dream or something like that, I rather go for the repair/etc.

• 11 months later...

Nienke, I had visited your place once. You are a very nice lady and you do seem to care of the dogs that you care of. Anyone who places their dogs with you should have a peace of mine knowing that they are in good hands.

Can I buy you a new bike or fix your existing one (for your compassion) in exchange for taking in my 5 dogs ranging from 13 to 18 with a privilege to visit them as many times as we want? We live close to you. I want to travel with my wife to different places in the world but is handicapped by our dogs until I find someone whom she can trust.

Many wonderful Mechanics in Chiang Mai. Sound like he more want a Cheep Charlie fix. Had a Honda NSR 150 SP totally redone, everything is show room new. And yes it cost more than when I purchased it new. But when you say or you want to get a second hand Honda Dream. Sounds like you just want cheep transportation to me. And the good Mechanics who really know their stuff really don't want to bother with that kind.

He is a she, at least that's what da body tells me loud and clear each month.

And I don't want new stuff as there are dogs all around, plus I don't fancy new stuff when old stuff can be recycled or repaired. The world is already polluted enough.

Car I need for the job, bike not anymore. I may get a 2nd hand bicycle somewhere in the future. Better for the aging body.

Would be much appreciated, though, that besides only mentioning that there are "Many wonderful Mechanics in Chiang Mai" you actually also tell us (I'm not the only one who was looking for one) where we can find them, such as name of mechanic, location, tel. nr. if known.