True Move 3G Wireless Air Card

temo1051

I have a True Move 3G wireless usb aircard. I am happy with the performance but for some reason it disconnects after 3 of 4 hours of connection time. I am using this on an HP EliteBook with a Windows 7 Professional operating system that was purchased in the US by my employer. Is there anyway to stop the auto disconnect?

Which TrueMove data plan do you have? I assume this is a new issue, and that the service worked fine for a while but recently you've had this issue?

TrueMove is transitioning their 3G service to TrueMove H, perhaps your issues are related to this transition in that the older legacy TrueMove 3G network is having issues?

I would contact TrueMove, and/or consider a new TrueMove H SIM. They have a Prepay iSIM for data, or you could just use a Prepay Smartphone SIM, and get a data plan.

Which TrueMove data plan do you have? I assume this is a new issue, and that the service worked fine for a while but recently you've had this issue?

TrueMove is transitioning their 3G service to TrueMove H, perhaps your issues are related to this transition in that the older legacy TrueMove 3G network is having issues?

I would contact TrueMove, and/or consider a new TrueMove H SIM. They have a Prepay iSIM for data, or you could just use a Prepay Smartphone SIM, and get a data plan.

Ive been trying out a TrueMove H prepay iSIM for some time now, ( on an iMac ) and when I leave my computer for a few hours and then return to it , my connection has all so been self disconnecting , ( with no downloading in progress ) Ive looked in the connection manager but can't see a setting / option for the connection to be automatically disconnected after a set time period / MB download amount , so not sure whats going on .

I do have a True Move H prepay. I just purchased this device last month and I have had this problem from the start.

Again, which plan do you have, exactly? http://www.truemove-h.com/freetosurf.aspx I assume it's all topped up?

Which aircard do you have? http://www.truemove-h.com/aircard.aspx

Does it disconnect during usage? Or during idle times? Are you perhaps on the extreme, outer edge of coverage?

I could understand that they might close idle connections in order to manage bandwidth, but that it should re-connect automagically as soon as you make a network request.

Edited by lomatopo

I do have a True Move H prepay. I just purchased this device last month and I have had this problem from the start.

Again, which plan do you have, exactly? http://www.truemove-...freetosurf.aspx I assume it's all topped up?

Which aircard do you have? http://www.truemove-h.com/aircard.aspx

Does it disconnect during usage? Or during idle times? Are you perhaps on the extreme, outer edge of coverage?

I could understand that they might close idle connections in order to manage bandwidth, but that it should re-connect automagically as soon as you make a network request.

I also have the same problem I am on a postpay contract using their aircard E173, and avery 3 hours it disconnects even if downloading or listening to the BBC, I just allow for this problem.

Well after after using a TrueMove H prepay iSIM on my iMac and experiencing the same internet connection termination , I thought I would try my CAT 3G SIM card , ( my Click 99 package ) again using the Same USB modem ( air card / dongle ) .

After 2 hours and 59 minuets of being connected to the internet , the connection terminated its self . I reconnected to the internet once again , and again after 2 hours and 59 minuets , the internet connection disconnected its self.

I checked the Vodafone Broadband connection manager ( I'm using a Vodafone K4505 USB modem ) to see if there was some thing set to automatically terminate the connection after a set period of time , all the Broadband connection manager settings seemed to be correct and nothing set to terminate the connection .

I then changed my CAT '' my Click 99 '' package to the Unlimited package . I then connected to the internet once more ,and again after 2 hours and 59 minuets the internet connection was automatically terminated .

Next I tried the same Vodafone K4505 USB modem and my CAT 3G unlimited package on my Windows laptop , this time I used the ZTE connections manager that comes pre installed on the K4505 modem, and connected to the internet , yes again after exactly 2 hours and 59 minuets the internet connection was terminated .

not too sure what's going on ?

any one have a guess wai.gif

^ Yup.... they are all disconnecting after 2 hours and 59 minutes.

Where do I get my prize?

There's a little some thing awaiting you, if you can say why its happening intheclub.gif

OK... joking aside, that must be frigging annoying.

My buddy down in Pattaya has just got some wizzbang True hi-speed thingumabob dongle thing going and he hasn't had any complaints. I did a speed check on it while I was visiting and it was 10M down and something like 1.4M up. Made my eyes water anyway.

Where do I get my prize?

There's a little some thing awaiting you, if you can say why its happening intheclub.gif

OK... joking aside, that must be frigging annoying.

My buddy down in Pattaya has just got some wizzbang True hi-speed thingumabob dongle thing going and he hasn't had any complaints. I did a speed check on it while I was visiting and it was 10M down and something like 1.4M up. Made my eyes water anyway.

Yes its a right pain in the back side , last night I set my download manager to download a few things , and woke up this morning to see the internet connection had been shut down after 2 hours and 59 minuets.

as ive got the exact same problem on both Mac and Windows computers , using two different connection managers , the only common denominators are as far as I can see are -

1. Cat / TRUE -H

2. The modem its self

Where's old Holmes when you want him whistling.gif

Where do I get my prize?

Buzzzz! Wrong answer. Read his post again, he repeatedly says it's after 2 hours and 59 minuets -- I don't know how long it takes to dance a minuet, but probably more than a minute. Sorry! Couldn't resist! whistling.gif

Obviously it sounds like they've (TrueMove H / CAT) got some sort of configuration problem; maybe they are re-setting IP's every three hours? I can see dropping idle connections but they shouldn't be dropping active sessions.

Someone should contact them as they may not be aware of the problem

+1 for the 3 hours disconnects. Got a True-H chip couple days ago, yesterday put 899 baht 5Gb package - but can't stay connected for more than 3 hours at a time (sgs2 with wifi hotspot enabled for the laptop).

It's a major pita! Have to switch "flight mode" on/off, let it reconnect, and get another 3 hours.

This is supposed to be a "smartphone" package. Not very "smart" if it stops receiving push email, whatsapp, twitter, facebook etc etc every 3 hours...

The fact that it's every 3 hours would suggest this is a deliberate setting at their (CAT or True) end. I doubt it's a "mistake", probably a misguided attempt at... actually at what I'm not sure...

I am thinking that some technician applied a 3 hour limit, globally, rather than specifically to idle connections and this policy replicated. I find it hard to believe they meant to do this for active connections. They may not be aware of the problem, so someone should contact them just to make sure TrueMove H/CAT My know about the problem.

I contacted my local CAT office several days ago about my constant 3 hour disconnection problem, the office in turn passed me onto a CAT engineer, I outlined my problem and he seemed to think it was a problem with my computer set up or USB modem, when I explained that I was getting the same problem when using 3 different computers , one Mac and two windows machines , and all so two different USB modems, he still thought it was some thing to do with my set up. I then pointed out that there were comments on a Thai forum outlining that more people were having the same problem, he said ok, he would pass on my comments to the CAT technical dept , since then ive heard nothing and the problem still persists .Its very annoying to have to manually reconnect every 3 hours

Agreed (edit: with post #16 - a few others jumped in while I was typing), although even killing idle connections not such a great idea in this day and age, with so many "smart" devices there's no guarantee that something won't need to be "pushed" to it at some point...

Idle disconnects are a relic of the old dial-up days and serve little purpose today...

I've tried contacting True on 1331 (couldn't find an email address) but I don't think I got the message across. Got passed around a few people with ever-decreasing English skills... I think we need someone fluent in Thai to have a go...

Edited by bobl

Business plan in thailand hahahahaha, especially by a gov owned monopoly hahahahaha me thinks someone should get their nose out of the lao khao trough. Everyone thinks 3g in thailand is going to make a difference hahahahaha if they cant provide enough bandwidth to serve their current customers on adsl whats gonna happen when all these smart phones and ipads light up at once ? wireless has to come from a ground station somewhere and they havent even begun to address that shortcoming in the system here.

I contacted my local CAT office several days ago about my constant 3 hour disconnection problem, the office in turn passed me onto a CAT engineer, I outlined my problem and he seemed to think it was a problem with my computer set up or USB modem, when I explained that I was getting the same problem when using 3 different computers , one Mac and two windows machines , and all so two different USB modems, he still thought it was some thing to do with my set up. I then pointed out that there were comments on a Thai forum outlining that more people were having the same problem, he said ok, he would pass on my comments to the CAT technical dept , since then ive heard nothing and the problem still persists .Its very annoying to have to manually reconnect every 3 hours

Sounds like you've nailed the problem - and the tech is clueless. Since CAT and Truemove both use the same towers (possibly the same equipment???), it's undoubtedly a boneheaded setting somewhere on their end. The guess that they're resetting IPs every three hours makes a lot of sense.

Trying to get clear and honest feedback from any True product here is almost impossible. However, i find greater success now when i post on their facebook pages with questions.

True 3G have their own facebook page.

They do tend to delete your comments but eventually i seem to get answers.

Trying to get clear and honest feedback from any True product here is almost impossible. However, i find greater success now when i post on their facebook pages with questions.

good idea , can you please post the link , I was looking for Thai language 3G forums to see if this disconnecting problem is being talked about any where, but so far no luck in finding any 3 hour disconnecting comments , surely there must be others out there with the same problem.

The 3G Roller Coaster Ride begins wacko.png

Sounds like you've nailed the problem - and the tech is clueless. Since CAT and Truemove both use the same towers (possibly the same equipment???), it's undoubtedly a boneheaded setting somewhere on their end. The guess that they're resetting IPs every three hours makes a lot of sense.

Thanks Woody , no one on Phuket mentioned this problem yet ?

I've had the CAT MY 3G+ H for just over a month now.

I have had the occasional disconnection, but still much better than my experience with CAT CDMA, cheaper too :)

It's not often that I am online for 3 hours+ at a time, so it is only after seeing this thread that I have checked.

This morning I was online for a longer time and as it was approaching 3 hours, I stayed online.

I can confirm that after exactly 3 hours online, I was disconnected.

I have a Sierra USB 308 aircard, XP os.

So it looks like this is a deliberate setting of a time limit by CAT and nothing to do with individuals' set-ups.

Because I don't download large files, this is unlikely to affect me too much, but people should be informed about this when they subscribe to TRUE or CAT's packages.

...so far no luck in finding any 3 hour disconnecting comments , surely there must be others out there with the same problem.

Chances are good that if other people are getting disconnects at 3 hours, they don't realize that they're being disconnected. All that I notice is that I have to reset my iPad.

Which reminds me... I was going to ask... how do you know that you're getting disconnected? It's unusual to have connection-intensive apps running over wireless lines - although it certainly does happen. Are you getting a notification from your Vodaphone software? Or are you running an app that requires continuous connection?

Since CAT and Truemove both use the same towers (possibly the same equipment???),

It is the exact same physical network, with different hooks on the SMS (Subscriber Management System), including the network management system, hence subscribers are seeing this issue on both TrueMove H and CAT My.

Many people use 3G for fixed-line replacement so use data-intensive applications like FTP and download managers where you notice a disconnect.

I imagine most mobile, smartphone users would not notice this anomaly.

Well ive tried talking to some one at TRUE about my 3 hour disconnection problem, I'm sure the operator thought I was making it up, a bit like talking to a 5 year old child in a school playground , so not too sure what to try next , still no return phone call from the CAT technical engineer biggrin.png .

...so far no luck in finding any 3 hour disconnecting comments , surely there must be others out there with the same problem.

Chances are good that if other people are getting disconnects at 3 hours, they don't realize that they're being disconnected. All that I notice is that I have to reset my iPad.

Which reminds me... I was going to ask... how do you know that you're getting disconnected? It's unusual to have connection-intensive apps running over wireless lines - although it certainly does happen. Are you getting a notification from your Vodaphone software? Or are you running an app that requires continuous connection?

Woody , I use the Vodafone desktop connections manager , that shows the state of the connection Etc

Screenshot2012-02-10at31247PM.jpg