Chiang Mai, Another Bangkok?

webfact

Chiang Mai, Another Bangkok?

Special report

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai authorities ensure tourists and locals that the city has opened its doors for modernization to redefine the city's infrastructure, yet will not abandon its traditional Lanna culture.

Khun Tanhathai Kanjanasoon has the story.

There are currently over 1.6 million people living in Chiang Mai Province, a city known for its authentic Lanna art and culture that exist nowhere else in the world.

Chiang Mai continues to flourish, relying now more than ever, on tourism for income.

Expanding from its traditional attractions of Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep and Tonphayom market, to meet the trends of newer generations, travel destinations such as Nimanhaemin Street has increased in popularity.

But now questions are raised as to whether the identity of Chiang Mai will change to become a modern metropolis like Bangkok.

It is certain that the cost of living is cheaper in Chiang Mai, and the fresh cool winter air is preferable as opposed to the pollution experienced in Bangkok, but without confirmation from the authorities, locals and travelers are unsure about the future developments of Chaing Mai.

Locals seem to prefer newer attractions in Chiang Mai's nightlife such as the Warm-Up bar and restaurant on Nimahaemin road as opposed to spending leisurely time shopping at the city's traditional night market.

Could this mean that the lifestyle of locals have shifted as well?

As it appears, the attitude of business owners have definitely changed to suit the greater competition and demand to make money by following the trends seen in Bangkok.

Tussanai Buranupakorn, mayor of Chiang Mai Municipality said that the authorities have limited authority over the establishment of nighttime entertainment venues as contracts were signed in accordance with the law, though a concern for residences in the area is greatly emphasized.

A new zoning law will help organize the city's urban planning.

News of a tram construction to replace the red two-seated minibus representing Chiang Mai, according to Tussanai, is a rumor.

Once approved, the municipality will establish a public bus system which will coordinate with the red minibus routes for transport efficiency of the people.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-01-30

footer_n.gif

This article could have been written 10, 20 years ago, no one would notice.

it would have been more accurate to mention the fact that 10, 20 years ago, the pollution levels where nowhere near as what it is today but the article still makes you believe that "fresh cool winter air is preferable as opposed to the pollution experienced in Bangkok".

Agree with the cool temperature differences but not so much for the pollution. Chiang Mai is now quite polluted.

I think Chiang Mai is preparing to become the new, and only capital, if the prophecy made during the time of the first Chakra king comes true, which is that the area of "Siam" where BKK now sits will be "swallowed by the sea and be no more" in the year 2555. So far the guy that made that prophecy, and others is 3 for 3. Let's see if he's 4 for 4.

clap2.gif

I live about 18 klm east of the city itself, and when I first moved here 5 years ago, there were only 3 other housing developments within 5 kilometers, and the rest was rice paddies. Now there's about 8 major housing developments, and more new businesses going up than I can count, as well as highways being widened to accomodate the traffic.

Whoever wrote this knows nothing about Chiang mai! there are 1.9 million people in the provence of Chiang mai but there isn't even close to a million people who live in the city of Chiang mai. Warm up isn't new it's 11 years old! Tussanai the mayor of Chiang mai is on his way out in April a new guy comes in because he has done such a crap job.

Does sound like the it was written some 15 years ago. Well only the names have changed to promote the new government officials and Warm Up mentioned by name, to keep you know who happy. Over decade ago you could find teh propesed mass transit stops on Greman maps of the Chiang Mai. What has change a city of the future always?

BTW the population of Chiang Mai has stayed the same for the past 15 years so how could it become the next great city without an increase in population it's only the increase of remittence of foreigners and money from tourism who have improved the wealth of the great city of Chiang Mai. However without an increase in population there is no way Chiang Mai will be another Bangkok. I bet the person who wrote this article hasn't even come to Chiang mai.

BTW the population of Chiang Mai has stayed the same for the past 15 years so how could it become the next great city without an increase in population

I think a quick comparison of pictures of Chiang Mai 15 years ago and today will show the massive expansion in residential living, business areas, roads, new superstores and so on. That the number if the same is because nobody tracks it when a Thai person moves from Lampang or Bangkok or the North East or any other area to Chiang Mai. They're only registered if they purchase property and change their official place of residence. So most new arrivals are missed.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think Chiang Mai is preparing to become the new, and only capital, if the prophecy made during the time of the first Chakra king comes true, which is that the area of "Siam" where BKK now sits will be "swallowed by the sea and be no more" in the year 2555. So far the guy that made that prophecy, and others is 3 for 3. Let's see if he's 4 for 4.

clap2.gif

I live about 18 klm east of the city itself, and when I first moved here 5 years ago, there were only 3 other housing developments within 5 kilometers, and the rest was rice paddies. Now there's about 8 major housing developments, and more new businesses going up than I can count, as well as highways being widened to accomodate the traffic.

So, the first Chakri King would be Rama I, yes? And what were the other 3 predictions that came true, and when? Very interesting.,,,I did not know about this, but there have been enough indications in BKK this year and last, and from outside sources, that this would be a good time for me to move from BKK to CM. Thank you.