Why Buy An Isuzu D-Max

albhol

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was recently a long distance on the highway.

Many Isuzu D-Max Model 2012 were on the road, almost no new Ford or new Mazda.

Strange people these Thais angry.png

Recently drove from Chiang Mai to Koh Chang. To keep the boys in the back seat occupied, asked them to count the Rangers & BT-50s. After 6 hours we saw a Ranger..... Saw loads of Isuzus, & more Chevrolets than Ford & Mazda combined. I think we saw 6 Ford Rangers & 3 Mazdas in 1000km.

I'm more than happy with my 2006 Dmax 2.5 commonrail extra cab ,its got 130000 on the clock and i've put 50000 of those on there and it gets 900klms + on the highway but sadly have to upgrade for the expanding family. Thinking of getting a Fortuner and i hope its not a lemon .

Edited by fezzy

When I was in the market for a new truck in 2009 I drove the Isuzu, Toyota and Mitsubishi. I could not live with the curve the body forms behind the doors of the Triton, otherwise not a bad truck. Did not like the ride in the Vigo and especially not the small 2-pot brakes. Just look at them, they are the same as on the Vios, weighing half the weight! I see people putting bigger wheels on their Vigos and adding to the brake's inadequacy. With bigger rims the brakes have to cope with longer momentum arms when braking and when the brakes are inadequate with original sized rims, what is the result? I bought the DMax eventually but have changed the front brakes to bigger rotors and 4-pot calipers and the difference in braking power is huge

• Like 1

When I was in the market for a new truck in 2009 I drove the Isuzu, Toyota and Mitsubishi. I could not live with the curve the body forms behind the doors of the Triton, otherwise not a bad truck. Did not like the ride in the Vigo and especially not the small 2-pot brakes. Just look at them, they are the same as on the Vios, weighing half the weight! I see people putting bigger wheels on their Vigos and adding to the brake's inadequacy. With bigger rims the brakes have to cope with longer momentum arms when braking and when the brakes are inadequate with original sized rims, what is the result? I bought the DMax eventually but have changed the front brakes to bigger rotors and 4-pot calipers and the difference in braking power is huge.

I agree with your deduction!

Did you change to the larger rotors and 4-pot calipers while your DMax was still under its mfg warranty?

When I was in the market for a new truck in 2009 I drove the Isuzu, Toyota and Mitsubishi. I could not live with the curve the body forms behind the doors of the Triton, otherwise not a bad truck. Did not like the ride in the Vigo and especially not the small 2-pot brakes. Just look at them, they are the same as on the Vios, weighing half the weight! I see people putting bigger wheels on their Vigos and adding to the brake's inadequacy. With bigger rims the brakes have to cope with longer momentum arms when braking and when the brakes are inadequate with original sized rims, what is the result? I bought the DMax eventually but have changed the front brakes to bigger rotors and 4-pot calipers and the difference in braking power is huge.

Did you change to the larger rotors and 4-pot calipers while your DMax was still under its mfg warranty?

I did and of course it voids the warranty on wheels and brakes but not on the entire vehicle. By the way the original 16inch wheels are now 18 to accomodate the bigger brakes.

• Like 1

I did and of course it voids the warranty on wheels and brakes but not on the entire vehicle. By the way the original 16inch wheels are now 18 to accomodate the bigger brakes.

Notice any difference in the quality of ride comfort and handling between the 16" and the 18"? Which 18" tire brand did you install? Have you upgraded your shocks, too?

Getting technical, do you have any idea what kind of a performance difference there would be between your brake and tire upgrade on your DMax and on another DMax, installing 20" wheels, converting the rear brake drums to 320mm discs and installing larger 320mm discs on the front brakes (while keeping the OEM factory (2-pot?)? caliper)?

Notice any difference in the quality of ride comfort and handling between the 16" and the 18"? Which 18" tire brand did you install? Have you upgraded your shocks, too?

Getting technical, do you have any idea what kind of a performance difference there would be between your brake and tire upgrade on your DMax and on another DMax, installing 20" wheels, converting the rear brake drums to 320mm discs and installing larger 320mm discs on the front brakes (while keeping the OEM factory (2-pot?)? caliper)?

I cannot speak for Tanaka but I put 320mm rotors (with stock oem 2 pot calipers) on the front of my Colorado, the performance difference went from "it would not stop to holy shit its stops now", I already had 20" rims.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

I cannot speak for Tanaka but I put 320mm rotors (with stock oem 2 pot calipers) on the front of my Colorado, the performance difference went from "it would not stop to holy shit its stops now", I already had 20" rims.

Thanx! I'll take that as one vote for '....at the very least, upgrading to 320mm discs will noticeably improve the braking performance!'

It must have been real scary driving for you before your brake upgrade! w00t.gif

With a more 'head-to-head' comparison with the results after your front disc upgrade, it would seem that having both the 4-pot caliper and a larger 380mm front brake disc upgrade, that Tanaka's truck should practically be able to do head stands when he brakes! cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Thanx! I'll take that as one vote for '....at the very least, upgrading to 320mm discs will noticeably improve the braking performance!'

It must have been real scary driving for you before your brake upgrade! w00t.gif

With a more 'head-to-head' comparison with the results after your front disc upgrade, it would seem that having both the 4-pot caliper and a larger 380mm front brake disc upgrade, that Tanaka's truck should practically be able to do head stands when he brakes! cheesy.gifclap2.gif

I would love to see 380mm disc's with 4 pots inside of an 18" rim, must be a real slim caliper.

And yes, prior to the 320mm upgrade, it was scary hence I did it.

Edited by Spoonman

I would love to see 380mm disc's with 4 pots inside of an 18" rim, must be a real slim caliper.

And yes, prior to the 320mm upgrade, it was scary hence I did it.

......Whoa! My big mistake!! (I was confusing his upgrade with another guy's) sorry.gif

Tanaka only said that besides the addition of the 18" wheels, he also 'changed his front brakes to "bigger" rotors and 4-pot calipers and that the difference in braking power was huge.'

It remains to be seen what size rotors he had installed: 320mm, 340mm, or even 355mm?

Anyway, in keeping with the theme of this thread, (the sturdy chain driven engine) and upgrading the brakes and wheel size seems to be testimonials as to why buy (an Isuzu) DMax.

Edited by Ahnsahn

The ride comfort difference is a bit difficult to estimate as I changed the shocks as well and they are not as spongy as original but not rock hard racing units. But I do not feel the comfort being notably worse. And my rotors are 330mm ventilated. As was asked by someone putting larger rotors and keeping standard calipers does improve things. Up to a point, especially if you have two pot calipers. Putting big wheels like 20.s with original brakes is asking for trouble. Apart from low profile tyres on a pickup look silly, they are damned uncomfortable. And you need to look at the momentum arm for the brake. The distance from wheel centre to outer edge of the rotor and to that of the tyre. Less difference in these measurements, better braking. In principle. There are other factors too but that is simple. Put larger wheels on with standard brakes and you have less effective braking.

Original tyres Bridgestone Dueler 16inch on the DMax are lethal in the wet. Literally. They are only a little better in the dry. But they are cheap for Isuzu. My present rubber is Japanese Nitto Dura Grappler H/T 265/60 18.

I would like to see a brake test between the two from 100kmh but Isuzu says they do not have that figure for the Bridgestones! I wonder why. I did not think to do this when I had the Bridgestones on and it is too late now. Another important thing regarding brakes is the pads. There is a big difference between different brake pads. I use EBC Green Stuff now and they seem to work nicely as I am not too hard on them.

Converting the rear drums to discs can be done for reasonable money but the question is why. Unless you intend to go racing or are often driving your truck hard on mountain roads, I see little advantage. The Isuzu is heavier on the front axle and that is increased when braking and thus taking more weight off the rear wheels making them prone to locking, which you do not want.

Edited by Tanaka
  • Like 1

Tanaka, the diameter difference between a 265/60/18 and a 265/50/20 is 0.27%, what is the momentum arm difference between them ?

Excellent question!!! (Pass the popcorn....) :-)

The ride comfort difference is a bit difficult to estimate as I changed the shocks as well and they are not as spongy as original but not rock hard racing units. But I do not feel the comfort being notably worse. And my rotors are 330mm ventilated. As was asked by someone putting larger rotors and keeping standard calipers does improve things. Up to a point, especially if you have two pot calipers. Putting big wheels like 20.s with original brakes is asking for trouble. Apart from low profile tyres on a pickup look silly, they are damned uncomfortable. And you need to look at the momentum arm for the brake. The distance from wheel centre to outer edge of the rotor and to that of the tyre. Less difference in these measurements, better braking. In principle. There are other factors too but that is simple. Put larger wheels on with standard brakes and you have less effective braking.

Original tyres Bridgestone Dueler 16inch on the DMax are lethal in the wet. Literally. They are only a little better in the dry. But they are cheap for Isuzu. My present rubber is Japanese Nitto Dura Grappler H/T 265/60 18.

I would like to see a brake test between the two from 100kmh but Isuzu says they do not have that figure for the Bridgestones! I wonder why. I did not think to do this when I had the Bridgestones on and it is too late now. Another important thing regarding brakes is the pads. There is a big difference between different brake pads. I use EBC Green Stuff now and they seem to work nicely as I am not too hard on them.

Converting the rear drums to discs can be done for reasonable money but the question is why. Unless you intend to go racing or are often driving your truck hard on mountain roads, I see little advantage. The Isuzu is heavier on the front axle and that is increased when braking and thus taking more weight off the rear wheels making them prone to locking, which you do not want.

It took me a while to discover, (Google), that you were referring to a physics principle(?) because with only my limited mechanical background to draw from, I couldn't conceptualize what you were describing. It's good to be privy of your knowledge in this area. So It is understood (and seconded by Spooman!) that adding larger 320mm rotors to the factory 2-pot calipers will at least provide noticeably more stopping power - though upgrading to 4-pot calipers would be even better.

I hear you about the rear brake conversion, that it wouldn't be as significant of a performance improvement as the front brake upgrade, but I'll also have the added peace of mind when going down some of those steep curvy mountain roads up north. rolleyes.gif

BTW, my upgrades are to a MU-7, a 'glorified' DMax. Though it's not 'The' DMax, If I get the chance, I can do a brake test with the 16" Dueler H/Ps before I install the new tires. I too, will have some (Gooru) shock absorbers installed.

I wrestled with 18" or 20" wheels, too. My initial decision was to go 18" because of my belief that 'generally', the more 'sidewall'(rubber) between the pavement and the wheel, the smoother the ride. The 18" tires had only 1/2" less sidewall than the 16" tires while the 20" tires have a whole 1-1/2" less sidewall than the 16" tires! But when I went tire shopping, all the dealers urged me not to go with the 18" but rather to go with the 20" wheels! If I do go with the 20's, I would only go with Yamaha Parada tires. For the 18", Bridgestone H/L Alenzas would be my first choice.

Edited by Ahnsahn

Tanaka, the diameter difference between a 265/60/18 and a 265/50/20 is 0.27%, what is the momentum arm difference between them ?

Your point being? Did you read my post? I said bigger wheels with standard brakes gives less braking force and I described the difference in torque between the size of rotor and wheel, not between 18 or 20 inch wheels.

• Like 1

Your point being? Did you read my post? I said bigger wheels with standard brakes gives less braking force and I described the difference in torque between the size of rotor and wheel, not between 18 or 20 inch wheels.

I can't speak for Spoonman but I hope he wasn't being facetious or minimizing your, what, IMHO, was a very good topic explanation. I chimmed in on his question because I thought he was innocently asking whether you knew of some simple formula or numerical guide that can be used to match the correct sized rotors to 18" or 20" wheels.

Edited by Ahnsahn

Yes I did read your post, You said many things but gave no real answers. my query between 18" and 20" rims is because you said one would need to upgrade brakes to run the larger rims due to the "momentum arm". I could calculate a smaller 20" tyre and most probably get it down to the same (or close to) rolling diameter as the stock tyre. but would the momentum arm still be the same ?

For what its worth yes I did upgrade my front brakes from OEM discs to 320mm ones due to the OEM being next to useless. Having said that when I had my wheels off for powerdercoating (before the disc upgrade) I had stock wheels/tyres on it, the brakes were just as bad then.

Edited by Spoonman