Another Attempt To Import My Car To Bkk

jl_333

A while ago I posted here inquiring on methods/procedures needed to ship my 911 into the ports of Thailand. With great feedback given, I reached the conclusion that:

a.) Not worth the hassle

b.) gov't always has the power and can strip you of yours at any given time.

c.) no set regulations, alot of time, money and sweat must go into this process

Oh, and lastly, someone posted that they were not allowing imported cars to come into BKK. Not sure if this still holds true?

OK, with that said, I blew the issue off. Not going to do it. Of course. It would be insane. UNTIL>>>

Got a call from my friend whose family imports/exports "things" to and from Malaysia. I could ship my car to Malaysia for a mere 30% tax (as opposed to thailands 300%) and this is fact (of course through connections). No hassle, no sweats, no blood needs to be given. However, now that I can get a car into Malaysia, would it be possible to drive it up to Bangkok, use Malaysian plates and be able to keep my car there?

I've heard they grant access for Malaysian/Singaporean cars for up to 2 years. That sounds quite good, and I don't mind taking the trek to and from BKK to the border every now and then.

Am I insane or is this remotely possible? What do you think....

I think the temporary import is for one year.

You get a stamp in your passport . This MIGHT be a serious drawback.

You do not have to travel to Malaysia to renew/extend the temp import.

When you come in you choose your point of exit.

All the papers will then be forwarded to your chosen exit point and you can extend from there.

Here's an idea, why don't you:

1) Sell the car

2) Buy a new car in Thailand

3) Take all the money you would save from the import nonsense, and use it to help the poor.

This way, you support the Thai economy, get a new car, and you are helping your fellow man out.

A while ago I posted here inquiring on methods/procedures needed to ship my 911 into the ports of Thailand.  With great feedback given, I reached the conclusion that:

a.) Not worth the hassle

b.) gov't always has the power and can strip you of yours at any given time.

c.) no set regulations, alot of time, money and sweat must go into this process

Oh, and lastly, someone posted that they were not allowing imported cars to come into BKK.  Not sure if this still holds true?

OK, with that said, I blew the issue off.  Not going to do it.  Of course.  It would be insane.  UNTIL>>>

Got a call from my friend whose family imports/exports "things" to and from Malaysia.  I could ship my car to Malaysia for a mere 30% tax (as opposed to thailands 300%) and this is fact (of course through connections).  No hassle, no sweats, no blood needs to be given.  However, now that I can get a car into Malaysia, would it be possible to drive it up to Bangkok, use Malaysian plates and be able to keep my car there?

I've heard they grant access for Malaysian/Singaporean cars for up to 2 years.  That sounds quite good, and I don't mind taking the trek to and from BKK to the border every now and then.

Am I insane or is this remotely possible?  What do you think....

Insane. Although a glimmer pf sanity showed through when you dumped the idea last time.

Here's an idea, why don't you:

1) Sell the car

2) Buy a new car in Thailand

3) Take all the money you would save from the import nonsense, and use it to help the poor.

This way, you support the Thai economy, get a new car, and you are helping your fellow man out.

screw your fellow man. Chicks dig porches! Help your fellow man. I bet you drive a scooter or a thai version of the Yugo. you feed the poor, the rest of us want to pig out on sticky rice.

You will go NOWHERE very FAST in BK with a Porche. have you experienced Bangkok traffic first hand?

Forget the idea , sell it at home and buy a Honda Jazz. Economical , practical (you can take your mates for a beer et, as opposed to being lonely). Sure the BG's will dig it big time but as the Dude would say "here's a shovel"

Bear in mind you could buy a very nice Condo outright in BK for the price you will get for it at home. Chicks will "Dig" that more, especially if you get a jacuzzi bath and some satin sheets, you dig it yet? You cant drive it when you are on the piss, we all take taxis everywhere, its what happens when you get home that counts.

Dude, here is an idea: EXCHANGE AND MART, AUTOTRADER

Sell the Penis extension and extend your penis and have some fun.

I had an AMG COnvertible Merc before I came here, did not do me much good, great car and all that, now I have an Izusu Truck, far more practical and I dont miss the Merc at all, you dig! Too many GOOD THINGS to worry about cars in Thailand brother

screw your fellow man.  Chicks dig porches!  Help your fellow man.  I bet you drive a scooter or a thai version of the Yugo.  you feed the poor, the rest of us want to pig out on sticky rice.

When they've finished digging your porch do you think they'd mind doing my garden? :o:D

Thanks for the comments, guys (once again)... I read them with great enthusiasm

Maybe I should clarify my situation further. I am a car enthusiast. I love cars. Eat, drink and sleep cars. If you get my drift. I have a career focused in autmotive. Further details will just bore you.

Against poplular belief, my intentions are:

a.) TO import my car one way or the other. If I have to strip it up and pack it in fedex boxes, then so be it (well, not really, but maybe)

b.) TO use this car as a project for my business. Not only will it serve as a flagship model, but it can't hurt having it around

c.) NOT to pick up chicks (why should I? my gf already drives one, she's not impressed)

d.) NOT to use this as a penis extension (although others may testify against this). I already have a penis enlarger at home, why do you need two? (that was a joke btw)

thetayim - great info. I am going to look into the extension portion of imports. It does not sound too bad about now

jbowman - First off, if I sell my car here, it will be worth less than a new car there considering the ridiculous import tax fee. And even the used car market for 911s is pretty steep (and the market is filled with auto 911s... who drives an auto anyways?) :o Love your idea of charity though, maybe next time around

dr patpong - what is "pf" sanity? excuse my ignorance

gbt71fa - I want some stick rice, too, please

Thaipauly - Yes, brother, I've lived in Thailand for 8 years, so I'm vaguely familiar with the traffic. I'm all about being economical and practical, but when it comes to cars... Any sense of practicality is kicked out the window and onto the streets of sukhumvit

I hear you on the condo advice and I wholeheartedly agree. Who's to say you can't have both? You live life once, mind as well jump into that sucker while you still can

For driving fast, that's what tracks are for, right? And 3AM expressway runs don't hurt either. Rush hour traffic I'll leave out. I can jump on a motorcycle taxi for much needed rushes :D

Now back to our regular program scheduling... Anyone else have advice?

Edited by jl_333

Well, if you've got the money, go for it! As a permanent resident of Thailand, I welcome your generous contributions! Perhaps we can name one of the new subway lines after you!

I visited an orphanage yesterday with my wife, and donated money so they could eat lunch. To each their own!

Maybe I should clarify my situation further.  I am a car enthusiast.  I love cars.  Eat, drink and sleep cars. If you get my drift.  I have a career focused in autmotive.  Further details will just bore you.

a.) TO import my car one way or the other.  If I have to strip it up and pack it in fedex boxes, then so be it (well, not really, but maybe)

b.) TO use this car as a project for my business.  Not only will it serve as a flagship model, but it can't hurt having it around

c.) NOT to pick up chicks (why should I?  my gf already drives one, she's not impressed)

d.) NOT to use this as a penis extension (although others may testify against this).  I already have a penis enlarger at home, why do you need two?  (that was a joke btw)

thetayim - great info.  I am going to look into the extension portion of imports.  It does not sound too bad about now

jbowman - First off, if I sell my car here, it will be worth less than a new car there considering the ridiculous import tax fee.  And even the used car market for 911s is pretty steep (and the market is filled with auto 911s... who drives an auto anyways?) :o  Love your idea of charity though, maybe next time around

dr patpong - what is "pf" sanity? excuse my ignorance

gbt71fa - I want some stick rice, too, please

Thaipauly - Yes, brother, I've lived in Thailand for 8 years, so I'm vaguely familiar with the traffic.  I'm all about being economical and practical, but when it comes to cars...  Any sense of practicality is kicked out the window and onto the streets of sukhumvit

I hear you on the condo advice and I wholeheartedly agree. Who's to say you can't have both?  You live life once, mind as well jump into that sucker while you still can

For driving fast, that's what tracks are for, right? And 3AM expressway runs don't hurt either.  Rush hour traffic I'll leave out.  I can jump on a motorcycle taxi for much needed rushes :D

Now back to our regular program scheduling...  Anyone else have advice?

it was a typo ... meant to be OF

I think the temporary import is for one year.

You get a stamp in your passport . This MIGHT be a serious drawback.

You do not have to travel to Malaysia to renew/extend the temp import.

When you come in you choose your point of exit.

All the papers will then be forwarded to your chosen exit point and you can extend from there.

Not on a tourist VISA, and they might actually ask for "proof" of residence in Malaysia.

I know someone who successful did that 2 years ago. However there is a risk that too many car VISA run will have the officials suspect that your are trying to enter the car illegally.

How do you think they get all those nice cars seized from Malaysia when they do ther government auctions ?

Btw, I don't hear my friend bragging about his car anymore. I think it got seize or he had to send it back.

Edited by Butterfly

Maybe I should clarify my situation further.  I am a car enthusiast.  I love cars.  Eat, drink and sleep cars. If you get my drift.  I have a career focused in autmotive.  Further details will just bore you.

I'm a car enthusiast too and was considering shipping a car from the UK but binned the idea. I looked at the hassle and cost involved and then the problem of getting parts to maintain it. It is not unknown that having provided the VIN details to a franchised dealer that the wrong part eventually gets delivered or the part needed is not shown on the computer system or it's shown as stock but there's none in the warehouse so must wait for it to be shipped from Japan, etc.

That is bad enough in the UK, now multiply that by a factor of ?? for living in Thailand. Bearing in mind how many variants of 911 there are you're welcome to that headache if that's what you enjoy.

may be, its possible, to bring parts of your porsche to Bkk. :o

You have to buy in Thailand the same model, like yours as a crashed car,

and transport it to Malaysia, to fix it,

but remenber, you can`t change the engine, based on thai law, cause the number is also part of the offical documents.

may be, its possible, to bring parts of your porsche to Bkk.  :D

You have to buy in Thailand the same model, like yours as a crashed car,

and transport it to Malaysia, to fix it,

but remenber, you can`t change the engine, based on  thai law, cause the number is also part of the offical documents.

And you get free board and lodging as an outcome. The Customs Department gets the car. :o

Yes you can do it on a tourist visa.

And no they will not ask for proof of residence because I am suggesting to OP that he leaves it on his original plates.

And it's not 1 year, more like 3 months with another 3 months extension. Then you must leave. Not sure where you get your info. Someone posted all the details here not long ago. With a tourist VISA you will not get that car for 3 months, more like 1 month !!!

Hi all

This sounds as bad as what i tried,

As far as i understand you will only get a 3 month stay for your car, also as you are not a Malasian you will have to give a Bank Gaurantee to Customs.

This will amount to the full import valuation given by Customs.

I was also going to try this after my car arrived in Leam Chabang, i asked if i could export it to Malasia and then drive it back into Thailand, No Way.

If you were to break the car up you would then have the problem of showing that the engine and chassis had duty paid on them, and if not then you will not get the car registered without paying the full duty.

Mike.

As far as i understand you will only get a 3 month stay for your car, also as you are not a Malasian  you will have to give a Bank Gaurantee to Customs.

This will amount to the full import valuation given by Customs.

That only applies to cars coming in thru Bangkok.

If you come in at a land crossing you can give a personal gaurantee

Source of info : Thai Customs website

And it's not 1 year, more like 3 months with another 3 months extension. Then you must leave. Not sure where you get your info.

Actually it's six months and I get my info from the Thai Customs website

That's with the extension.

Anyway, that's what I thought. Completely useless info.

Thai Customs website is not only badly updated but half of the info are wrong or no "implemented" in reality. My import/export agent was laughing when I was trying to explain him what I read there. He said the info is not true. A total joke !!! like most everything here :o

Edited by Butterfly

I am curious as to what you may think a personal gaurantee,

I really dont imagine for one minuite that you can arrive at the Thai border and just give them a personal gaurantee.

As i said before you will have to give them a bank gaurantee, but of course i could be very wrong and if i am then i will put my hands up to it.

Keep us posted.

Mike.

Quote:

Cash guarantee or bank guarantee or self-guarantee is required. If vehicle is brought in through Bangkok Airport of khlong Toei Port, cash guarantee or bank guarantee is essential. If entry is via land across the southern border then it is acceptable to guarantee oneself by completing the customs form, giving necessary details to the customs officer and signing the record.

Quote:

Cash guarantee or bank guarantee or self-guarantee is required. If vehicle is brought in through Bangkok Airport of khlong Toei Port, cash guarantee or bank guarantee is essential. If entry is via land across the southern border then it is acceptable to guarantee oneself by completing the customs form, giving necessary details to the customs officer and signing the record.

:o

That doesn't say much, does it ?

I think Thetyim has a very valid point. Another reason for me to believe this is I saw a bunch of pics from a porsche club event where members from Singapore and Malaysia drove up from their respective countries.

I highly doubt they all would go through the trouble of putting down the bank statements and guarantees for a simple drive (although I could be wrong). However at this point, even if they did, they still got through which further supports the point that this is possible (yes!), now the questions is , how long? :o

Also, I wonder how "feasible" it would be to have the car re-registered and insured in Bangkok given I throw a "few bucks" here and there, if you know waht I mean.

Edited by jl_333

Also, I wonder how "feasible" it would be to have the car re-registered and insured in Bangkok given I throw a "few bucks" here and there, if you know waht I mean.

Judging by the number of quality cars in the customs auction I think that route is not possible.

However there is another avenue if you have the right connections.

PM me and I will explain what I have seen.

Chicks dig porches! 

Well that may be, BUT

1. A Porche is waste of time in Thailand, no roads to show off the speed, unless

you want support the whole Thai Police force with the fines. :D

2. You will be forever scrapping the underside on the bumpy roads of Thailand.

:o