Nationwide Alcohol Ban For Makabucha Day: Thailand

webfact

Strict Alcohol Ban for Makabucha Day

booze.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry will get tough on any violation of the alcohol ban on the religious holiday of Makabucha Day this Wednesday.

Violators of the ban will face a 6 month-jail term and or a fine of up to 10,000 baht. Public Health Minister, Wittaya Buranasiri, says the authorities will get tough on the ban of alcohol sales on Makabucha Day tomorrow.

All venues are prohibited from wholesale or retail distribution and sales of alcohol on the religious holiday.

Only hotels are exempt from the prohibition.

The Public Health Ministry has issued orders for all the 77 provincial public health offices nationwide to help enforce the ban. The ban will start at midnight tonight and will last until the midnight hour of Wednesday.

Public Health Ministry officials will also conduct random checks to ensure that entertainment venues abide by the law. Violators of the ban could face a fine of up to 10,000 baht and or a maximum of 6 months in jail.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-03-06

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My ex-gf: "Do you want an ice tea?"

Me:" No...I want a beer!"

My ex-gf:"NO! Listen! Do you want an ICE TEA???"

Me: "No...I want...oh...yes...one Ice Tea please!"

(that sh@t must have been rotten. tasted so much like beer!)

"1097 user(s) are reading this topic"

It seems that we are worried when we see the words alcohol and ban in 1 sentence:)

Pure coincidence ... people are just getting home from work and checking their emails!

Will be business as usual, just as it is for every other holiday they are supposed to not serve booze. Lights low, music soft, booze flowing.

The Thais don't even respect their own holidays, so I don't see why foreigners should.

Thai,s respect please not in the same sentence ...

Thought I'd join the madness so I trotted down to the local 7-11 to get half a dozen beers just in case I can't buy it tomorrow cos I might want to make Beef and Ale pie. Don't drink beer but might start in case I can't buy beef either in which case I wouldn't want it to pass its sell by date.

Was in Fuji Phuket the other day and aparently the can't buy alcohol with your meal after 2pm and before 5 had been scrapped. Maybe not because in Bangkok you still cannot. It's a miracle if you ever know what is happening from day to day. I'll drinks toast to Budda tomorrow along with all the hotel guests and everyone outside the cities - cheers

Normally these announcements have a clear period between which hours no alcohol sale is allowed. Mostly 6PM one day till mid-night next. Now no indication. Does theNation assume it's readers know all, or is it just a short oversight?

Strangely enough at 7/11 around 5:30PM I sdidn't see the 'normal' paper indication 'no alcohol sale'. Mind you, in Dusit area, Bangkok.

I wonder if any expats here would be amused by derogatory comments about Jesus Christ's somewhat obscure parentage ... or perhaps his dalliances with Ms Magdalene ...?

Careful not to upset the bible-bashers! They don't believe in freedom of speech or opinion either.

saai.gif

Edited by sabai-dee-man

I wonder if any expats here would be amused by derogatory comments about Jesus Christ's somewhat obscure parentage ... or perhaps his dalliances with Ms Magdalene ...?

Careful not to upset the bible-bashers! They don't believe in freedom of speech or opinion either.

saai.gif

Somewhat off topic, but remind me, who turned water into wine ?

Edited by rubl