Phuket Music Festival

grumpyoldman

The music festival that they moved from the south part of the island to Laguna this year, any of you out there who had been before when it was at the Hilton, did you go this year?

How did it compare?

If I could ask not to get the "well I heard, nonsense". Really looking for responses from people who went, who had been before.

• Like 1

Blue's festival? I saw there was a write up about the first day in the gazette online, but that's the only thing I heard about it. Wonder how the new location worked out for Andy?

They went away from the "Blues Festival" and were just calling it the music festival, but yes, one and the same.

Just curious as if there was a turnout as too far for me to travel and drink. Hoping they'll bring it back down south, otherwise maybe should start talking to some local musicians about organizing an alternative festival.

Blue's festival? I saw there was a write up about the first day in the gazette online, but that's the only thing I heard about it. Wonder how the new location worked out for Andy?

They went away from the "Blues Festival" and were just calling it the music festival, but yes, one and the same.

Just curious as if there was a turnout as too far for me to travel and drink. Hoping they'll bring it back down south, otherwise maybe should start talking to some local musicians about organizing an alternative festival.

I think they called it the 'blues and rock' festival. Yes, I've been to all of them. I think there were possibly more people when it was at the Hilton. Certainly seemed to be fewer people dancing at Laguna. I think location certainly does play a part in attendance numbers, and the Hilton is pretty much in the middle for people who live way up north or south. It's also a tad pricey to be honest and i think that scares people off. There is a NEED for decent live music. People do want to see something different instead of surviving on a diet of cover bands. Look at the attendance of the free music festivals on Karon beach (thousands of people) versus the Blues festival (couple hundred people). The 1,900 baht entrance fee may have put people off. I think i paid about that to see U2 in England a few years back. Cutting the entrance prices down a bit and moving the venue to a more central location would get more people in.

there really is no need for any fees. just look what pattaya does with their international music festival. a great event with top name bands after another. mostly thai musicians. its done very well and orgainized. i could not even guess the 1000's of people attending and the money generated for the business.

unfortunately phuket = greed.

doubt it would ever happen to what pattaya puts on in march every year.

there really is no need for any fees. just look what pattaya does with their international music festival. a great event with top name bands after another. mostly thai musicians. its done very well and orgainized. i could not even guess the 1000's of people attending and the money generated for the business.

unfortunately phuket = greed.

doubt it would ever happen to what pattaya puts on in march every year.

The Blues Festival is a privately organised event with probably no funding from any municipality.

For once greed does not come into play. The venue has to be paid for, as do the acts, so 1900 baht, although expensive by Thai standards, is probably necessary.

I stopped attending after they removed the one night ticket and I am probably not the only one (organisers please note if you are reading this). But the venue also put me off this year. Laguna is a pain to get to from the south and it would need a special act for me to make the effort, I'm afraid to say.

Sorry, GOM, not answering your original question at all.

The 2012 Phuket International Blues Rock Festival was excellent, and was very good value for the money. The cost was 1200 baht a ticket (for both nights) for an 'expat' over 12 years old, but was free for kids, and my Thai wife..! The bands did not get paid, although I believe most of their expenses were covered..? The quality of the music was very good, and although the crowds were not huge, that made it more enjoyable, because you could get closer to the artists. So I give it a big 'thumbs up', and will definitely go again next year, if I'm around at the right time. clap2.gif

I would think an event like this would benefit from corporate donation support from the likes of say, Thai Air, Chang, Singha, SC Bank, etc. to be more successful. Don’t know if they contribute or not, or what their arrangements (if any) are. Could serve to contain ticket costs at least somewhat.

A gracious discount or even donation of the space for the event from the venue itself would benefit both the event and the venue as promotional value. And speaking of promotional value, how about the tuk tuk gang donating free shuttle services from around the island to the event grounds. Would certainly improve their image! whistling.gif

I’m a huge fan of the blues but have never been to these events for two reasons: cost, and transportation (costs).

(Sorry GOM for not answering your OP...)

ANDY runs this event on a very hard earned tight budget,and it is not easy.

I have been to every BLUES FESTIVAL,since it started,and the artists and music has been great and value for money

This year i did not go, neither did Chainsaw,no one really knows why the venue was changed,may be Andy could answer that..I have had good reports about the music,Artists,venue, etc..I personally dont think he will ever get the numbers he needs up there to make any real money,without the sponsors,it could not happen..You will never,ever get enough poeple here in Phuket to have a really big festival,they wont pay the entrance fee,they are to tight.

ANDY runs this event on a very hard earned tight budget,and it is not easy.

I have been to every BLUES FESTIVAL,since it started,and the artists and music has been great and value for money

This year i did not go, neither did Chainsaw,no one really knows why the venue was changed,may be Andy could answer that..I have had good reports about the music,Artists,venue, etc..I personally dont think he will ever get the numbers he needs up there to make any real money,without the sponsors,it could not happen..You will never,ever get enough poeple here in Phuket to have a really big festival,they wont pay the entrance fee,they are to tight.

i have never been to the event. basically 2 reasons the cost and transportation.

from responses/talk in the past it sounds like a great event.

again i will say why cant this so called "world class international island" host a venue like this for free? i imagine the turn out would be much more (particularly thai and families) and the revenue generated for the local business a big boost

pattaya can do it. but phuket can't.

possibly andy could shed more input on it.

OP sorry i have no help for your question

They have many Thai events here with big name acts,they also get large crowds..These events are usually held in places like SAPA HIN and are usually subsidised,,Soon they will be holding PHUKET BIKE WEEK,where they take over Patong beach and have acts like Carabo there.but like i say this is THAI organisatio,.. a diferant kettle of fish..very few foreign events,unless you have a captive audience..DONT WORK.

No worries on the posters who threw in their 2 satangs worth, but still looking for people who actually went, who had experienced the shows at the Hilton in years past.

Like steelpulse mentions, there really was no information given-post shows...................I'm sure the promoters will say it was a huge success, but really, I hope they will shoot for a more centralized location for next year.

I agree with the complaints for sure, no one day pass and transportation (especially if they hold it in Laguna).

I saw where one poster went and said the crowds were so small it was better because he could get closer.

Bring it back to the Hilton Andy and offer a one day pass. Thanks, GOM

>>Bring it back to the Hilton Andy and offer a one day pass. Thanks, GOM

I agree, and from reading this thread, I'm sure there would be a bigger turnout if the one day pass happened again. I used to go every year until the recently( 2 or 3 years) installed mandatory 2 day pass was instituted. Haven't been since this policy was started and posted the same a year or two ago when the topic was brought up regarding the "Blues Festival'.